Options
    people do it... my thought...

why?

throw in yogurt or avodaco in it...

cook the egg on the side hahah. it just sounds gross imo
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am/was a chef - please do not do this it only takes 1 egg with Salmonella and you could get very seriously ill if you have healthy issues you could die.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nah. The protein isn't as easily digested raw vs. cooked, and there's always a chance for Salmonella - not worth it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Nah. The protein isn't as easily digested raw vs. cooked, and there's always a chance for Salmonella - not worth it.

^^this

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full
  • agentphantom
    Options
    Drinking/consuming raw eggs puts you at risk for salmonella. Buy some liquid egg whites and put that in your smoothie instead.
  • vplamanna
    Options
    I add 3/4 cup of egg whites to 3/4 cup whey protein, frozen strawberries and ice. It is delicious ! I use pastuerized liquid egg whites. I have gained a lot of lean mucsle from doing this daily.
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    There is also powered eggs white 23 dollars at reg store Fred myers
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do it when we've got no protein. As far as I know salmonella has been pretty much eradicated in the UK...
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I bought pastuerized egg whites and have thought about doing this. When I had tendonitis, I was prescribed raw eggs in smoothies by my Dr. in addition to weight lifting.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I use a raw egg in my post w/o shake and it makes the taste so much better. Also, there are certain nutrients that keep better in the raw state, though the protein is not as easily digestible. My shake recipe has ingredients that aid with digestion, and I get some of the albumen regardless. I do it every day. I used to drink raw eggs daily, but only have them in my shake now. use EB natural vegetarian fed variety with elevated omega-3s. They also have less cholesterol.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I do it when we've got no protein. As far as I know salmonella has been pretty much eradicated in the UK...
    Here, it is less than 1 in 30,000 that may have salmonella, and even if it does, you have such a small chance of even noticing it (unless you are imuno-compromised) that it really is not a rational fear. Unwashed veggies from the store is much more scary...