Cravings with migraines?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• myf1101
    myf1101 Posts: 99
    Options
    I am a chronic migraine sufferer (diagnosed by a neurologist) and Epilium was the medication that broke the cycle for me. I used to have migraines that lasted 14-19 days then have 1-2 days off before the next one started. Bed and sleep was the answer. I do find that coffee does help me but I crave carbs and ready salted crisps. At the moment sumitriptan keeps my migraines at bay and walking seems to have reduced the number of migraines, which is a good thing.
  • strawberru314
    strawberru314 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic migraine sufferer (diagnosed by a neurologist) and Epilium was the medication that broke the cycle for me. I used to have migraines that lasted 14-19 days then have 1-2 days off before the next one started. Bed and sleep was the answer. I do find that coffee does help me but I crave carbs and ready salted crisps. At the moment sumitriptan keeps my migraines at bay and walking seems to have reduced the number of migraines, which is a good thing.

I wish migraine medications worked for me. Most of them knock me out completely, some make them worse altogether. My neurologist said it was due to low blood pressure. When I am regular with walking or yoga, lighter activities, my head tend to hurt less frequently. I have been somewhat inactive recently. Thank you for that reminder.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I USED to, turns out it was a magnesium deficiency, =).
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have very low blood pressure too.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings with mine but I do tend to eat far more starch than normal for the simple fact that I'm sick as can be and the meds make me sick and generally very weak/exhausted feeling. Eat what you need to eat within reason and move on. Just remember high sugar items may not be your best choice as they can make the migraine worse for some.

It usually does for me, that's why it drives me nuts that I crave them

How about some super dark chocolate? Also maybe just a cup of coffee with a bit of sweetener. That will give you some sugar without being too bad for you. :drinker:
    Don't give up on the migraine meds! There are so many out there. My neuro just introduced me to Cambia-it's not a heavy hitting triptan and seems to have very few side effects.
  • strawberru314
    Options
    I USED to, turns out it was a magnesium deficiency, =).

it is amazing all the different causes of migraines. Each person is so different.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Mine are stress induced. Generally speaking they can last anywhere from a few moments to a few days. The ONLY thing I crave when that happens, is a dark, quiet room and an ice cold glass of water.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    There is no research on this, but in my case - I had migraines so bad I would go blind. Ended up in the hospital more than once when I loss my sight. Nothing worked. I was overweight and eating a high number of carbs and eating out 3 times a week.

Since I started eating clean. I have had only one (1) migraine. That was the beginning of Fall. Get that every year.

Now, I am off all med's.

Edit: I wanted to add - that this has been like this with only 1 migraine for almost a year. Before I was getting them every week.

Works for me. :drinker:
  • strawberru314
    Options
    There is no research on this, but in my case - I had migraines so bad I would go blind. Ended up in the hospital more than once when I loss my sight. Nothing worked. I was overweight and eating a high number of carbs and eating out 3 times a week.

Since I started eating clean. I have had only one (1) migraine. That was the beginning of Fall. Get that every year.

Now, I am off all med's.

Edit: I wanted to add - that this has been like this with only 1 migraine for almost a year. Before I was getting them every week.

Works for me. :drinker:

What diet are you following?
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I get a craving exactly but i usually eat ruffles and Mt. Dew. Because the salt on the ruffles tends to help the stomach and the mt. Dew is more clear than coke. It always seems to help ease the symptoms as long as it stays down. When I get a migraine I am not worried about eating right just feeling better. I feel for all migraine sufferers.