Need weight loss tips

Options
Hello everyone,

I just had my 33 birthday 3days ago, and I 'm extremely motivated to getting to a healthy weight. I was down from 250 to 202, but I slowly gained some of the weight back, due to the fact that I lost my job and was depressed and wasn't able to go to the gym since I was unable to pay for the membership. I was also way too depress to find workouts around the house to do and sadly to say i'm at the weight of 217 now. I was 220 when I went to my gyno last month and she weighed me, that's what quickly put a kick up my butt, because I was very unhappy being 250 and refuse to go down that road again.

I found this website while scrolling through apps on my ipad today and i've read some really motivating stories so far and wish I could one day share in the same joy as others. So if you guys have any techniques that's been extremely successful in your journey to a healthier lifestyle i'm willing to try some if not most of them out!

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The best advice - stay in your calorie goal that MFP calculated for you. Log every single thing down to the last bite and get some exercise, even if it's walking. Do this and you will lose! It's that's simple!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Best tip is more of a reminder as you keep going down this good road.

Diet is for weight loss, and hopefully that means just fat loss.

Exercise is for heart healthy and body improvements, which may or may not include weight loss, and if done wrong, can hinder it actually.
  • mdedmonds
    mdedmonds Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for making the decision to start! Now, the next thing I recommend you do is decide what you want to become not what you are going to do. Deciding what you want to become will give you a vision of the person you want to be and will carry you through the times when you feel like cheating or quitting.

Next, find a meal plan that you can stick to for the rest of your life. Add some exercise, mix it up a bit, and you have a recipe for success. I love the meal plans found on a website called "Beyond Diet". These have worked for me in a big (no pun intended) way.
  • gpteran
    gpteran Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi Julia and welcome. I'm new here too and I'm finding everyone wonderful and very supportive. I couldn't agree more with lizziebeth102. It is simple when it comes to the plus and minuses. What can be difficult is not knowing what to eat or not eat. I've used a very simple tool that I'd love to share. It's a list of great foods that are available to you at any supermarket and other foods to avoid or in moderation. Next thing is getting up and going. Walking is the best exercise and it's free. There are lot's of routines you can do at home too if you get yourself a plan and routine. Let me know if I can help you in anyway

:)
  • triffendesign
    Options
    While saying that you have to exercise and eat within your goal caloric intake sounds easy, it isn't. Not by a long shot. I find that you have to fight for everything. I have to sit down and think, "do I really want to eat this?" for almost everything. For exercise, you just have to find the time and motivation, if you have someone supporting you, all the better, but remember you are the person doing this, and, ultimately, this weight loss has to be for yourself. Don't let people bring you down (even me).

I am embarking on the journey again after losing a 100 lbs through just dieting (ironically, one of my doctors' response was "It's not enough. Do it again."). I gained a little back, but it wasn't too much. I just steadily lost it a little at a time. I have tried going full bore a few times, per my personality, but burned out after a couple of months. So I have made a conscious decision to just go at a slow, even pace.

All this being said, best advice: Do it for yourself. Go at a slow, steady pace. Make time for it. Your motivation has to come from you. Remember to ask yourself, "Is this beneficial?"

Best of luck, truly.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sorry about your job. I can see how that would be a setback, but you can get back on track.

My only advice is, start small and with something you can keep doing next week, next month, next year. Whether that's 15 minute walk everyday, or remaking one meal into something very filling and satisfying, and more nutritious.

Pick up one good habit at a time and stick with it. Before you know it, you'll have several good habits and you'll move away from some of the less effective behaviors that become a problem.
  • triffendesign
    Options
    I just read this on another board, and while it is about drifting away from a diet, the response holds true to the situation for your situation, too.

"For now, don't obsess so much on routine, just log what you eat, even if it is CRAP, even if you are just guessing on portions at the end of the day, just get it in. You are not always going to be gung ho about tracking this stuff, believe me, and it isn't always going to fit perfectly with your routine or lack thereof. So just do the best you can today. Don't worry about tomorrow and don't stress about what you didn't do right yesterday. Just track today. You will feel better about it all if you do, trust me."

The key part of this is don't obsess or stress about yesterday or tomorrow, deal with today. As cliche as it is, one day at a time, seems to work for many people.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Welcome and goodluck on your journey

You can search past topics and there you can find tons of advice....

Click on the community tab and click search....and you can out in key words and different information will come up

Goodluck
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The best advice - stay in your calorie goal that MFP calculated for you. Log every single thing down to the last bite and get some exercise, even if it's walking. Do this and you will lose! It's that's simple!

Yup...that's it! .I would only add to make MFP your home page and Log IN and Log IT (your food) everyday. Most of my MFP friends who are logging in everyday are losing weight. Those who are logging in sporadically aren't getting the same results.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1st of all - give yourself a pat on the back for getting started :flowerforyou: Next, please realize that each of us have to find a way that works for us, so expect to have some ups & downs. (Personally, i have found that i need protein much more than carbs but know that others don't need the protein as much.) Also, give yourself permission to do this for no one but yourself - not a spouse/SO, child, etc. It's honestly not being selfish, because when you are healthier you are a better person all around. Feel free to add me as a friend. :wink:
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Weight loss math is simple... more calories going out than coming in and you will lose weight. The hard part is actually doing that simple formula. Nutrition and cardio will get you results but you have to be careful not to lose lean muscle at the same time. Cardio is easy... just start walking. Get your heart rate up and that's really all there is to it. To keep your lean muscle you have to do some form of strength training. However you don't need a gym membership to do strength training. Be creative. Use Google. For example, need some weights? 2 gallon milk jugs filled with water are 8lbs each. You can use them as dumbbells. Put a long brom handle through the jug handles and you've got a make-shift barbell. I know it sounds ghetto, but hey... gym gear ain't cheap. Even simple resistance bands will allow you to do several exercises just using your own body. Again you aren't training for Ms. Universe, just trying to tell your body, "Hey, I'm using that muscle so find something else to burn for fuel... like that love handle!"

DRINK WATER! 8 cups a day minimum!

EAT CLEAN! Make your own meals! Avoid processed packaged foods, especially lunch/deli meats... loaded with sodium which will make you retain water weight.

LOG EVERYTHING! MFP is amazing for this. Go through the settings and set things up for your particular day. Do it before you start logging or you'll have to go back and change any previous logs to match any new settings. Log your food, water, exercises, even any supplements that have calories or macronutrients like carbs, fat, & protein. Fish oil capsules have calories and fat so be sure to log them to get a truly accurate record. Stay within the boundaries MFP sets for you for your goal.

DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY! You will set yourself up for failure. Once a week is fine, pick a weigh-in day. Consider getting some form of body fat % analyzer. The scale will lie to you LOL. If you see your body fat percentage going down then you are losing fat which is what you want. The scale just tells you what you weigh, muscle, water, fat, bone, everything. That's only part of the picture. Go by your clothes as well. If they get looser and looser, but your weigh-in stays the same you are still losing fat! Be encouraged!

Take a picture at day 1 and once a month. As time passes you will see the differences and you will be motivated to continue.

Set a goal. Commit to it. Lose your ego. Do the work. Surround yourself with encouraging people.

Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me on here and also on Facebook if you want, Robyn Hooven Wilson is my FB name. My best advice to you? One day at a time. Start with small changes slowly, they all add up! And we didn't gain our weight overnight so we can't expect to take it off overnight either! Keep it simple and sustainable!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Moderation.
    Movement of any type.
    Learning to cook all over again.
    Learning the word NO when going for or offered seconds.
    Finding and controlling "trigger" foods.
    Get rid of the junk food and replace with healthier foods.

It's not a diet but a lifestyle change. Eat out less often. Stay away from fast food places as much as possible. It's not an race. The weight did not show up overnight and sure is not going to dissapear that way either.

Slow and Steady is a good thing. It took me over two years to get to wear I wanted to be. Been in maintence almost a year now.

There is so much more I could say but I'm sure you don't feel like reading a novel.

All my best and good for you on starting.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Some things that have been successful for me are::

-Buy a digital scale and ensure you have a measuring cup and spoons.

-If it goes in your body you should weigh or measure it first and log everything.

-Always pack a lunch and healthy snacks for work/school. When we get overly hungry we make bad choices

-Eat as much clean non-processed food as you can, sometimes easier said than done, but still always try to stay away from processed food. Also, eat more protein, you're probably not eating enough, I know I wasn't. Lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish, certain beef cuts), black beans, cottage cheese, edamame beans, protein shakes, etc.

-Get 45-60 minutes of cardio exercise 5-6 times a week or more if you can do it. If all you can do is walk, well that works, but it shouldn't be a stroll in the park, you should be walking or work up to walking like you are late for a meeting.

-Buy a heart rate monitor so you know when you get your heart rate up, there's lots of information on here and other sites about them.

-Strength training 3-4 days a week is important as well, many of the successful women I've seen on MFP lift weights regularly and have muscles. ;) Being strong is good, muscle burns more calories than fat.

-Take photos and body measurements every couple of months, in the event the scale lies and as a reminder of how far you've comes.

-Don't expect miracles, it took a long time to put the weight on, it could take a while to take it off. My goal from the start this spring has been to lose a pound a week, the fact that for whatever reason I've done better than that is a bonus.

-The more you log, exercise, and lose, the more it will motivate you and drive you; so stick with it!

-If you know you are going out for dinner, well plan accordingly and make sure you get in a good cardio workout to make room calorically and then make healthy choices. Having said that, I love pizza, and I still eat pizza to this day and I've averaged eating it every week or two since I started, but I always bust my butt in the gym to allow for it.

-Drink lots of water, its good for you and keeps your body running efficiently.

-Lastly, if you have a bad day, try not to, but if you do, so what stuff happens, make sure it's only a bad day, not a bad week, or bad month. We all fall down now and then, the trick is getting back up quickly.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    MFP is a tool. It is still up to each of us to do our part to lose weight.

Losing weight in the beginning is easy. I've found that each pound is harder to lose. I learned that strength training helps to lose weight. Each lb of muscle you build uses on average 50 calories a day at rest just to exist. If you build 10 lbs x 50 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories burned (equals a lb of fat). You don't have to become a body builder. You don't have to totally deprive yourself of treat foods; those you do that will probably quit.

Think of this not as a diet but as a life style change. I use MFP to monitor my food which helps me to control portions. My goal is to end each day with fats, carbs, sugars, and cholesterol left over. I don't starve myself because the body wants to hold onto the fat. You can have a calorie deficit and still not lose weight. I have had a 7000+ calorie deficit for the week and gained weight. I plateau over and over, change up routines/calories eaten and breakout of the plateau, which is a frustrating experience each time.

Do cardio to help your heart. Strength train to help your heart and lose fat. Below is info that I posted to someone else earlier today. As you learn, do what works for you.

My goal is to eat near or above my basic calorie need and achieve my calorie deficit with exercise. You don't have to become a body builder. You might consider investing in yourself by purchasing some time with a personal trainer. At the gym, I see many people who will not use a personal trainer doing weight training incorrectly - terrible form, too light weights, lack of knowledge on how to do sets, different progressions, etc. I made a friend who asked me to look at what he was doing. He did the same weight lifting routine every day - 1 set of 10 reps; he was not letting his muscles have recovery time. He wasn't building any muscle but damaging what he had.

Make sure you get the amount of protein you need. If you eat enough meat to get the protein, you may be getting too much cholesterol. If you focus on beans to get the protein you will probably eat too many carbs. I have to watch my carbs and blood sugar. I looked at many protein powders but found they had cholesterol. I finally found a protein powder without cholesterol, but it is only available at Sam's Club. The protein powder is Naturade and made for people over 50 with extra antioxidants and vitamins. I now can get in enough protein without having the extra cholesterol. I also work in several eggs a week because that is the best protein you can buy!

If you don't want to invest in a personal trainer, consider buying the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, lots of pictures and diagrams to help you. You can also go to the website and get emails with videos of how to do exercises or just search the website for exercise videos. I have the the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises for me and the Women's version for my wife who hated to exercise because she would sweat. Now she is into exercise and has lost over 30 lbs and building some muscle.

How do you know if you are building muscle? We use a body fat loss monitor each week. If you multiply the body fat % times your weight what is left over is everything else (organs, bones, muscle). If you increase the weight of what is left over it is probably an increase in muscle. Strength training can also help increase bone density.

What is a good weight for you to lift? Start with light weights. Try 10 repetitions, if it was easy the weight was too light. Most people like to do 3 sets of 10 repetitions. Currently I'm doing progression sets of 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps and increase the weight at least 5 lbs on each set. If you were doing the bench press starting at 40 lbs, a progression set would be

8 reps at 40 6 reps at 45 4 reps at 50 2 reps at 55

At the next session of bench press, I try to increase 5 lbs on each set. You can do progressions in reverse starting with the heaviest weight.

The best weight exercises are Total Body which involve dumb bells or barbells. I recommend that a person start learning on the machines for safety reasons. An example would be bicep curls with a 5 lb dumb bell in each hand. You stand (forces your core to work to stabilize your balance) focus on correct form and you get a better workout than the bicep machine which does the balancing.

Always give your muscles a minimum of 48 hours of recovery time. I'm doing 3 workouts which cover the entire body over 3 days, a day of no heavy lifting, and then repeat. My muscles get a 4 day rest because what I do on Monday doesn't get repeated until Friday. You can repeat what you do on Monday on Wednesday if you want, but I'm trying to have fewer injuries and plateaus. I have had to back up and lift lighter weight when I admitted to myself that my form was bad.

There is so much more to all of this than just counting calories.

Best of luck in achieving your goals. Keep at and you will get there.