Cardio before weights or vice versa?

Options
Is it a myth that one way burns more calories than the other?

Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. But doing weights before cardio tends to make the workout more effective. Cardio saps strength if done first
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. But doing weights before cardio tends to make the workout more effective. Cardio saps strength if done first

Yes, correct. I've found that you'll want to do weights as fresh as possible to make sure you can maintain proper form. You'll be able to lift more too.
  • cheshire1986
    cheshire1986 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ello mate, i just happend to get a muscle & fitness mag today and there was a small section on it

DONT DO CARDIO AFTER LIFTING - there is clear evidence that you shouldnt do your cardio after lifting. The facts arnt actually controversial at all but since most bodybuilders do there cardio after hitting the weights, this information is not going to be happily recieved by most guys who've worn posing trunks ! the accepted dogma is that if cardio is done before weights, it will detract from the intensity and muscle endurance required to move maximum iron. However, it appears that this belief is only partly true. when sports scientists at the university of memphis had two groups of subjects do a fairly intense 45 minute endurance session on a cycle ergometer and two other groups rested before doing six sets to exaustion of eather heavy squats or heavy bench presses, the cardio session only affected performance in the squats (by less than two reps per set). there was no negative effect on bench press performance. so considering that this cardio session was more intense than most bodybuilders cardio sessions and probably longer than most, it seems like doing cardio first only affects the strength of the muscles that where used during the cardio.

also said you shouldnt do cardio after a weight training session - doing so may virtually turn off the anabolic response to weight training.

hope that helps
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    please don't do your cardio before lifting.....unless you plan on wiping down each bench you use. Lift first when you aren't drenched in swet.
  • edixon908
    edixon908 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Weights then cardio.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio after lifting or during lifting. I use cardio as my warm-up because I'm lazy... I've always heard that you're supposed to do weights before cardio though. :P
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump to hear responses, watch this whole video this guy is not the only one that i have heard say never mix Cardio with weight training. he menitons this around 5:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHgs7B9GOk&feature=g-user-c
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This issue comes up most often in the context of available glycogen stores while dieting.

Both resistance training and high intensity cardiovascular activity rely on glucose. When a person is restricting calories, glycogen stores are relatively low. When this happens, the body often times has to rely on breaking down amino acids (i.e. protein) to form glucose to fuel these activities. This is called gluconeogenesis and can put muscle at risk.

Because resistance training is important for preserving muscle while dieting, most people recommend that resistance training be performed first. Additionally, since glycogen stores may be low after resistance training, many people do low intensity cardio work because it primarily relies upon fat stores. If a person is doing just low intensity cardio, it shouldn't matter whether they do it before or after resistance training.
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always do weights then cardio. I notice a huge decrease in the amount of weight I can lift (especially squats after running, bench not so much). As far as burning calories goes, weightlifting is more of a long term burn and increased metabolism due to increased muscle (yay!) While cardio is good for your heart and is a quick short term burn.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's all up to you.

I do my cardio before I lift because after doing a 75 minute weight workout I'm too tired to even think about hopping on a machine and doing 30 minutes of cardio.

That's just me though and my reason as to why I do cardio first. Also, I have never had a problem heavy lifting and I don't feel too tired if I do my cardio first.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I don't remember where I read it so I can't quote the source but it depends on what your fitness goal is and where you want to expend your energy.

So..

If you are trying to get big then do cardio after you are done lifting.

If you are trying to lose fat then cardio before lifting.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always do strength training BEFORE cardio...
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you are training for a 5K, then do cardio first. If you really want to get stronger then do strength first. If you are like most of us your and are doing both just for total fitness, then do a few weeks one way and then switch it up.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to lift weights before cardio, I have more energy for my cardio. :smile:
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's just me, but I do strength training first then cardio.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Thanks guys