Sick and tired of promising to go to the gym!

Options
I can not motivate myself to get fit, i have tried so many different things. Goals, incentives, and just to generally make myself feel great. Does anyone else have the same problem, and what do you do to help you want to exercise?

:sad:

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Just do it. Do it once. Force yourself to. Then, force yourself to do it again until it becomes a routine. Try new things at the gym until you find something you like, then look forward to working out. Don't give yourself the chance to make excuses about it.
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    Someone posted in a similar thread that they have an unflattering photo of themselves and when they look at it, it motivates them to get into shape. Alternatively, keep a photo of a celebrity who is the same sort of shape you would like to be when you reach your goal? That could give you the inspiration you need.
    Sometimes I really can't be bothered but once I'm actually at the gym and working out I instantly feel so much better for it and I'm glad I didn't just stay in!
    Don't be too hard on yourself and think that you must go every day (I go around 3 times a week), it does our bodies good to have a rest :smile:
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for literally years, I'd go a few time every few months, but never get into it.
    What I found was that when i decided I wanted to be stronger, I went to the gym determined (again) that i would get into it. This time it stuck. I'm pretty sure it's because I actually enjoy the exercise I'm doing now, where before I was just running and other cardio. I hate running. I do a 5 minute jog to warm up before I train and I still hate that. My friend goes "ffs Eve! It's only 5 minutes!" but I truly only stick to it because I have to so I can do my real workout properly.
    So it turned out for me all i had to do was experiment a bit and find something I could actually enjoy and get visible goals from (:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think this here, was written just for you! http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/10/08/willpower/
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try something new every time you go until you find a thing you like. It'll keep it from being boring and it'll give you something to look forward to (a new experience). I did this until I discovered boxing, which I love so much that my boxing days are the highlights of my week.

Also, if you are truly a person who just can't find something that you enjoy, you may just need to learn to force yourself into. Which I hate to say because you should be able to find SOMETHING that you like. But fitness isn't just about looking good -- it's about doing what it takes to live a long, healthy and capable life. Sometimes that means having to pick up weights and eat our vegetables.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why not do something other than the gym. Go for a bike ride or roller blading or hiking. Maybe join group exercise. I do taekwondo twice a week and just got a bicycle a little over a week and I've already been on four good rides. Excersicing doesn't have to involve the gym!