Cats, dogs and litter boxes?

Options
djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
Okay so...I recently moved into a very tiny apartment. I have really no place to put my cats litter box. It will not fit in the bathroom so it has to be in the living room. The issue is, I have a dog that believes the cat poop is golden nuggets left behind for her to snack on.

Currently I have a TV stand kitty-cornered with the box behind it. This is working for now, but it will not work soon. The cats kick up litter and so the TV stand is use-less to me. I don't want kitty litter getting into my appliances, you know?

Does anyone have any recommendations on styles, sizes, even links to the box you use to stop your dog from having a snack? Space IS an issue, and a cheap(er) solution would be best.

Replies

• perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    get a covered litter box. you can get them at kmart for about $12.

It not only keeps the dog out, but the odor stays in.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    What the above poster said. Covered litter box. The day that you catch the dog and yell at them, they'll get their head stuck in the door and freak out. Then they should be good and scared of the box.

Also, you need to see this: http://dog-shaming.com/
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    There are littler boxes out there that look like tree planters or end tables. It hides the box, conceals the odor, and makes it too hard for most average-to-larger dogs to get into.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Look up Boda covered litterboxes on the internet. They are a bit more expensive than the K-mart versions, but also harder for the dog to get his nose in. I have also heard of taking a storage tote and cutting a hole in the top of one of the sides, or even in the lid of the tote. The litter stays in the box, and the dog may not be able to get his snout in the box (depending upon the size of the hole, and the size of the dog).
  • djc315
    Options
    I've tried cover boxes, at least plastic ones, and they don't stop my dog from getting inside. Heck, even the kitty-cornered TV stand doesn't completely stop her because she jumps up on top of it. But it helps.

I've seen that dog-shaming blog before. Hilarious! I should totally post Sedona on there. She has no shame eating from the cat box, the fresher the better. Ew.
  • _JR_
    Options
    HiddenLitterLitterBox.jpg

Other designs available.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Train your cat to use the toilet, it is not as impossible as it sounds, one of the products is called city kitty. Basically it is a litter bow that sits on your toilet, every two weeks or so you cut out a center circular section until there is nothing left. It works because cats use litter boxes to hide the smell of their droppings and urine (instinctual to hide from predators), and once they realize that the toilet water will accomplish the same result they will return time and time again. There are more expensive systems that auto flush once the cat is finished, just depends on how much you are willing to spend.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Could you get an automatic litter box that scoops the litter as soon as it detects the cat is out of the box? (It has a weight sensor.) They can be kind of expensive when new, but I've seen them on Craigslist and even saw one at Goodwill once. It also makes clean-up easier since you just empty the reservoir every day. It saves you having to scoop and keeps Fido from snacking.

My cats HATE covered litter boxes, so I don't use those. I buy the Tidy Cat Small Spaces litter and scoop twice per day. I can't smell a thing, even with two cats.
  • djc315
    Options

Other designs available.
    Look up Boda covered litterboxes on the internet. They are a bit more expensive than the K-mart versions, but also harder for the dog to get his nose in. I have also heard of taking a storage tote and cutting a hole in the top of one of the sides, or even in the lid of the tote. The litter stays in the box, and the dog may not be able to get his snout in the box (depending upon the size of the hole, and the size of the dog).

I've also tried the Booda box, but my male cat won't use it. He is too big. He's about 18 pounds.

I currently use a storage tote, but I never used the lid because, again, Charlie (male cat) is too big and won't use it. It's a big storage box, too. He won't use it if his ears touch the top. Not to mention he kind of turns into a bully towards the smaller cat, who is 6 or so pounds, and hides outside it when she's in it. Then pounces her.

I've been looking at the litter boxes that look like tree planters or end tables. I found this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00419POYS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=AKCDY0AEVM7SB but I am worried Charlie will think it is too small. And for the price of it, I'm not sure I want to take the risk. But I like that it has two compartments that the cats have to zig zag to get to the litter box. Any one use any of these with success?

It's funny because I've considered toilet training my kitties, but Charlie loves water (wow, he seems like the trouble maker, eh?) and would just play in the water all the time. He has joined me IN the bathtub more than once.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you have a little more cash, I have a self-cleaning litter box. http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Simply-Clean-Continuous-Clean-Litter/dp/B000GF0X38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349734545&sr=8-5&keywords=self-cleaning+litter+box

It's just under $100, but it veeeery sloooowly turns (the cat never notices), and screens the poop, sending it up a ramp and into a plastic bag, which you just toss (no special bags-- ones from the grocery store). Unless your doggie is very quick, it would solve your problem, and make litter box duty much easier. We love ours! Good luck!
  • djc315
    Options
    If you have a little more cash, I have a self-cleaning litter box. http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Simply-Clean-Continuous-Clean-Litter/dp/B000GF0X38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349734545&sr=8-5&keywords=self-cleaning+litter+box

It's just under $100, but it veeeery sloooowly turns (the cat never notices), and screens the poop, sending it up a ramp and into a plastic bag, which you just toss (no special bags-- ones from the grocery store). Unless your doggie is very quick, it would solve your problem, and make litter box duty much easier. We love ours! Good luck!

I used to have this, Bailey (the smaller cat) hated it. She is a scratcher, and she would end up just pushing ALL the litter onto the carpet and going there.

Sigh. Kitties! lol

Thank you all for such great suggestions!!!
  • _JR_
    Options
    I've had every device you can imagine - hidden boxes, automatic sweepers, and even one that was attached to the toilet that would screen it, dissolve it, and flush it.

The automatic ones throw away a ton of litter, and some cats are afraid of the sound, although one of my cats thought it was hilarious to deliberately set it off constantly for entertainment.

I always like the hidden ones best, although as the other lady mentioned, some cats won't go into them.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and solved it by putting the litter box in the bathtub. Also, got tired of my persian tracking litter into my bed on her fuzzy paws. I use paper in my litter boxes.
  • suckerlove
    Options

Other designs available.

Awesome
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My cat poos outside lol. Love living in a kitty friendly area! I used to have it in my bedroom at home though and Dudley would kick the litter out of the box and poop in the empty box. Charming!
  • djc315
    Options
    I've had every device you can imagine - hidden boxes, automatic sweepers, and even one that was attached to the toilet that would screen it, dissolve it, and flush it.

The automatic ones throw away a ton of litter, and some cats are afraid of the sound, although one of my cats thought it was hilarious to deliberately set it off constantly for entertainment.

I always like the hidden ones best, although as the other lady mentioned, some cats won't go into them.

I think the hidden one that looks like furniture or the plant box will be my best bet. I have seen to try all the other options. I was just hoping to have not to spend that much money but if I really looked at it, I probably have already spent double that trying to find cheap solutions.

Having my cats outdoors is not an option. They are strictly indoor kitties and always will be. But at least your Dudley would kick the litter out and still use the box - Bailey will kick the litter out and then use the litter on the carpet if she can.
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My cat uses the toilet. Someone has already recommended this to you, and if you are really interested in keeping your dog from eating your cat's poop, you will check into this. It took a couple of months to complete the process, but I don't spend money on litter any more, and I don't have bags of poop that I send to the landfill anymore, either. I don't think your cat playing with water is near as dangerous to his health as your dog eating the poo. You can find these toilet trainers online and they will ship right to your door. Not very expensive, either!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Get a large sterilite or rubbermade container with a lid. Cut a whole in the lid the cat fits through. Show the cat how to get in. Fill with litter. It has to be tall enough that the dog can't stick it's head in and reach the 'tootsie rolls'.

Then you just have to remove the lid to scoop and replace when done.
  • djc315
    Options
    My cat uses the toilet. Someone has already recommended this to you, and if you are really interested in keeping your dog from eating your cat's poop, you will check into this. It took a couple of months to complete the process, but I don't spend money on litter any more, and I don't have bags of poop that I send to the landfill anymore, either. I don't think your cat playing with water is near as dangerous to his health as your dog eating the poo. You can find these toilet trainers online and they will ship right to your door. Not very expensive, either!

My concern wasn't with health issues when my cat plays with water, I have filled the tub up for him to play in. It was more so that he makes a mess, and, I'd rather not sit on the wet toilet seat in the middle of the night. Or slip on the bathroom floor because I didn't think the floor would be wet from the toilet. I have checked into this method, not that if I didn't that would mean I am not really interested in keeping my dog from eating my cat's poop. I know you meant well, but your post was really off putting to me.

Thank you everyone for some great suggestions, I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and look into one of the hidden boxes that looks like decoration or an end table. That should solve the issue of not having space for a box (since it will serve as more than one purpose) and also hopefully getting my dog from eating the tootsie rolls (LOL that cracks me up. but ew.)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Let dog eat poop. Happy cat. Happy dog. Happy you.