"Friend" Etiquette?

Options
Topher1978
Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
If I am royally annoyed by someone in my friends list, is it rude to delete unceremoniously? An explanation would cause resentment...

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You aren't obligated to do anything. This is just me, but when people explain I find it more annoying than if they didn't.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's MFP. Not the meaning of life. Unless you have a personal relationship with them outside of the site then delete and move on.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Cool. Wasn't sure of the etiquette. Wasn't stressing or anything...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Delete. Always choose delete.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Delete. It's not that big of a deal. Some people take it really serious if you delete them. But in general, you're putting more thought into it than you should.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yup. Delete. If they ask why, it is up to you whether or not you provide them with an explanation.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    1) You don't owe anyone an explanation. Even in real life

2) If they're annoying you, then just delete

3) If you DO endup giving an explanation, you're basically allowing them to question you further and bother you even more. Just delete them silently

4) Giving them an explanation makes you look snooty. Delete them with YOUR respect intact
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Was there a contract? :tongue: :wink:
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Thanks.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If I am royally annoyed by someone in my friends list, is it rude to delete unceremoniously? An explanation would cause resentment...

Dafuq!!!!

What did I do dude?!?

I just noticed this thread, checked my friend count and instead of 214 friends I now have 213!!

Screw you!!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about it one bit as far as etiquette...my rule is..anyone causing drama gets deleted without warning...drama free zone! (mainly applies to my Facebook of course lol)
  • Topher1978
    Options

Dafuq!!!!

What did I do dude?!?

I just noticed this thread, checked my friend count and instead of 214 friends I now have 213!!

Screw you!!
    LOL
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You aren't obligated to do anything. This is just me, but when people explain I find it more annoying than if they didn't.

I agree with you on this one. If I annoyed you and we were just occasional blog posting pals on MFP I probably don't care why I annoy you! LOL
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you don't know them IRL, delete!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I delete all the time! I only keep interactive people around. No need for explanation.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Are they active on your posts? If so, then they might notice and ask you. If they ask you, then go ahead and give them an answer. Otherwise, just delete them and move on. :)
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    I say just delete, too. There's no point in having people on your list that you dont' jive with.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I like to play Friend Request Roulette. Same with Friend Delete Roulette. It's a sweet game of chance and completely dependent on my mood at the time.

The one person that deleted me that I WANTED to be friends with.. I sent him a message that said "wtf?" and he replied back that he deleted everyone. Then I cried myself to sleep.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    IMO if you do not like someone delete them. I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape when they find out some random person on the internet has decided to unfriend them. They treat it like a life changing event,
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

Im not here to be anyone's friend. Im here to be a support system for people. If down the road, we happen to become friends, great. If not, *shrugs*

This is MY journey, the FIRST time in MY LIFE for me to become selfish and do this.. FOR ME. If someone annoys me, and i find myself feeling the need to "avoid" a person.. i delete them and move on. I do not need to explain myself to someone I hardly know.

I DO NOT NEED STRESS IN THIS JOURNEY. Enough said.