Explain BMR to me

Options
I dont get it. It your BMR the minimum amount of calories you need to eat to survive? Mine is like 1900. Other diet plans I have been on have tried to put me on a diet of 1200 calories a day... no wonder I was feeling so sh*tty.

Replies

• jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories you need for your body to survive (keep your heart pumping, brain and organs working, ect) at least this is what i think lol
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    yes BMR is what your body burns if you were to stay in bed 24 hours every single day...its what your body burns to keep you alive basically. and i said the same thing with previous tries! wish i had found this site before i did!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sounds like you don't need anything explained to you.

eat 1900 calories, and eat your exercise calories back for a nice, steady weight loss. you'll have more energy to live and work out, and feel better while doing it.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thats crazy! How come some diet plans make you wanna eat less than your BMR? When I was doing Jenny Craig they had me on 1500 calories a day and I felt like crap... no wonder!!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Related -- this is a subject of confusion to me, as well: If, according to MFP, my BMR as a 29/131-lb. female is 1,288, why is MFP then assigning me only 1,240 calories per day?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Related -- this is a subject of confusion to me, as well: If, according to MFP, my BMR as a 29/131-lb. female is 1,288, why is MFP then assigning me only 1,240 calories per day?

now this is splitting hairs. you are talking about 48 calories. thats a cup of coffee with cream and sugar.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not meaning to "split hairs." As I see it, 48 calories is 48 calories, I don't want to unintentionally not give my body what it needs (else I'd not have asked)... Simply trying to understand how this all works.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate

It's the minimum amount of calories that your body requires to function without any extra movement. Think about coma patients-- They aren't moving or using up extra calories to talk or move. They're completely sedentary, but their bodies still need enough calories to breathe and keep the heart pumping. If you're in a coma, the hospital will feed you your BMR requirement-- no more, no less.

We can survive on fewer calories than our BMR requirements because we do have extra fat stores to pull energy from for a limited amount of time-- and that's what causes weight loss. However, you shouldn't eat below your BMR for extended amounts of time because your body will only dig into those fat stores for so long before it will break down muscle for fuel, and when you break down muscle, your metabolism will slow down because it needs fewer calories to maintain your body.

Edit:
    MFP is programmed to calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and remove 10-15% of that to cut calories. If you set it to sedentary, your TDEE isn't going to be very much higher than your BMR, so removing that 10-15% might be below your BMR. The only restriction on the calculator is that it won't tell anyone to go below 1200 calories because that's what they have deemed to be the average "safety" limit.

But if you're serious about losing weight, don't just rely on cutting calories. Exercise more, lift weights, build muscle. Fuel your body enough to sustain a more active lifestyle.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate

It's the minimum amount of calories that your body requires to function without any extra movement. Think about coma patients-- They aren't moving or using up extra calories to talk or move. They're completely sedentary, but their bodies still need enough calories to breathe and keep the heart pumping. If you're in a coma, the hospital will feed you your BMR requirement-- no more, no less.

We can survive on fewer calories than our BMR requirements because we do have extra fat stores to pull energy from for a limited amount of time-- and that's what causes weight loss. However, you shouldn't eat below your BMR for extended amounts of time because your body will only dig into those fat stores for so long before it will break down muscle for fuel, and when you break down muscle, your metabolism will slow down because it needs fewer calories to maintain your body.

Wonderfully put. :-)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I dont get it. It your BMR the minimum amount of calories you need to eat to survive? Mine is like 1900. Other diet plans I have been on have tried to put me on a diet of 1200 calories a day... no wonder I was feeling so sh*tty.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate

it's the amount of calories your body needs to perform all of its functions daily. this does not include extra, such as exercise.

BMR is NOT the minimum daily calorie intake requirement you need to survive. if you have fat stores, your body can metabolize those to make up any daily deficits from restricted calorie intake. this phenomenon leads to... (drum roll please)... weight and fat loss!

you could lose weight just by exercising, but it would take a long time. you can lose weight by burning your fat stores. that happens faster. you can lose weight with both components. that's the fastest way.

so it's perfectly fine to eat less than your BMR until you get to a point where your body has exhausted your fat stores. however, you probably shouldn't run a massive deficit (i.e., starvation diet) because it will make you crave food and will be harder to stick to this new lifestyle change.

maintain a moderate BMR deficit daily. add cardio exercise. over time, watch the weight come off. add strength training to tone and shape your muscles so that when the fat goes, you're left with lean, attractive physique.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Sorry, not meaning to "split hairs." As I see it, 48 calories is 48 calories, I don't want to unintentionally not give my body what it needs (else I'd not have asked)... Simply trying to understand how this all works.

you can customize your calorie intake in the settings. bump it up to 1,300 calories, but honestly, even that feels too little to me. how tall are you??
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

It depends on what you're telling MFP. It won't go below 1200, but it also won't say, "Hey... you should aim for a half pound a week at this stage of the game."
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

it's the amount of calories your body needs to perform all of its functions daily. this does not include extra, such as exercise.

BMR is NOT the minimum daily calorie intake requirement you need to survive. if you have fat stores, your body can metabolize those to make up any daily deficits from restricted calorie intake. this phenomenon leads to... (drum roll please)... weight and fat loss!

you could lose weight just by exercising, but it would take a long time. you can lose weight by burning your fat stores. that happens faster. you can lose weight with both components. that's the fastest way.

so it's perfectly fine to eat less than your BMR until you get to a point where your body has exhausted your fat stores. however, you probably shouldn't run a massive deficit (i.e., starvation diet) because it will make you crave food and will be harder to stick to this new lifestyle change.

maintain a moderate BMR deficit daily. add cardio exercise. over time, watch the weight come off. add strength training to tone and shape your muscles so that when the fat goes, you're left with lean, attractive physique.

you are confusing BMR with TDEE.
    If you eat your BMR, you are ALREADY in a deficit. you can eat your BMR and your exercise calories every day and still lose weight.

all the other posts in this thread are accurate.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

no, this is wrong. you have mistaken BMR with TDEE, which is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. For instance, my TDEE is about 3,200 calories.

i say about, because really, all these numbers are just guesses. you have to go by feel. and you have to be willing to experiment for a few weeks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

If you eat your BMR, you are ALREADY in a deficit. you can eat your BMR and your exercise calories every day and still lose weight.

Damn, you guys beat me to the reply. Im still in love with your back Robin. :tongue:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Some good, accurate information, some poor, and some totally wrong.

As said, but in brief terms - BMR = the amount of caloric intake you need to MAINTAIN your present state of mass.

TDEE = BMR + any caloric burn by doing some form moving your butt (Like a walk you dont normally do, or a run, or lifting, swimming, ANYTHING other than the norm)

To Lose weight, you need to burn more than you intake. To lose a pound in a week, you need to eat an estimated 500 calories LESS per day. So, if your BMR is 1900, your daily goal (NOT YOUR BMR) is 1400. If you exercise, wear an HRM that gives a calorie burn reading. Add this to your goal (personally AFTER you burn it) and eat within 97% of this new goal. And dont forget ...DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    Options

Your statement on BMR is incorrect. BMR does not consist of a deficit
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Your statement on BMR is incorrect. BMR does not consist of a deficit
    This is incorrect. Basal Metabolic Rate is TDEE - about 20 to 40 %

It is the energy needed to sustain autonomic systems.

BMR + activity + thermic effect of food = TDEE or maintenance.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    Options

This is incorrect. Basal Metabolic Rate is TDEE - about 20 to 40 %

It is the energy needed to sustain autonomic systems.

BMR + activity + thermic effect of food = TDEE or maintenance.

Actually, we are both right. What I quoted is RESTING, without exercise.
    In most topics, TDEE is what you are quoting - BMR is the NORM to Maintain

Also, you are ADDING to BMR to get your TDEE :laugh:

Basal metabolic rate (BMR), and the closely related resting metabolic rate (RMR), is the amount of energy expended daily by humans and other animals at rest or sleep . Rest is defined as existing in a neutrally temperate environment while in the post-absorptive state. In plants, different considerations apply.
    Also see: basal metabolic rate an expression of the rate at which oxygen is used by body cells, or the calculated equivalent heat production by the body, in a fasting subject at complete rest. Abbreviated BMR. (This is MEDICAL terminology for BMR.

Former Medic in the US Army. As pertaining to this discussion, I would lean more to my answer. Yes, I am biased.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

What did you select for your weight loss goals? If you selected lose 1 pound per week, then they would put you at the 1248 calories per day in order to give you a deficit of 3500 calories. If you select to lose a half pound per week, then you will get more calories. Also, MFP's program is set up so you eat your exercise calories back so they expect you to workout and earn more calories to eat more. It also depends on what you selected for your activity level. If you select sedentary, then it gives you less calories. It'll increase the calorie intake for the higher activity levels.