FitBit..should I synch it to MFP?

Options
Ok, so I got a new FitBit through a workplace health and wellness initiative, since the Screening flagged me as at risk(weight, of course) I got a free FitBit. I saw a Topic on HRM being better, and they probably are, but the FitBit was free, so I will be using it. Just wondered whether anyone had an opinion on synching it to MFP whether it helps or hinders. Just wondering?

Replies

• kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I'm really not sure how all the numbers add up. I hope it's not causing me to over-estimate the number of calories I'm burning.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Lots of info on this if you do a search. In a nutshell:
    I sync it to MFP. I set MFP activity level to sedentary and wear my fitbit all day. When it syncs to Fitbit and then MFP it will let you know the extra caliries you can eat for exercise. It's great for general walking, walking for exercise and running. Some people say out it in your foot for cycling but not tried that.

If you do other exercise like circuit or weight training or swimming, set the stop watch when you start exercising and stop it when you finish. Then add caliries burn from this exercise to futbit website or app manually. You can either do this by using database to pick your exercise type and say how king you were doing it, or if you get a calorie value from a HRM, then input that.

So- Fitbit is better than HRM for daily activity. It can so be stopped for non running exercise and other figures put in.
    Hope that helps.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lots of info on this if you do a search. In a nutshell:
    I sync it to MFP. I set MFP activity level to sedentary and wear my fitbit all day. When it syncs to Fitbit and then MFP it will let you know the extra caliries you can eat for exercise. It's great for general walking, walking for exercise and running. Some people say out it in your foot for cycling but not tried that.

If you do other exercise like circuit or weight training or swimming, set the stop watch when you start exercising and stop it when you finish. Then add caliries burn from this exercise to futbit website or app manually. You can either do this by using database to pick your exercise type and say how king you were doing it, or if you get a calorie value from a HRM, then input that.

So- Fitbit is better than HRM for daily activity. It can so be stopped for non running exercise and other figures put in.
    Hope that helps.

This. Can't add to it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There are issues at the moment with how Fitbit syncs to MyFitnessPal, and you can read about them on the Fitbit Users group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

Wasn't the whole point of getting a Fitbit to track how much you're actually walking each day, rather than guestimating the time and logging it?

Certainly a HRM is better for cardio workouts and as @jaz050465 has said, use the stopwatch facility on the Fitbit to track when you start and finish a workout. I use my HRM for all my cardio workouts for the actual calorie burn (usually Tae Kwon Do and Jiujitsu) using the stopwatch feature on Fitbit for the timing. Then I check the activity record on Fitbit and log the calories burnt during that time on MFP and delete the record created on Fitbit. Others do it differently.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There are issues at the moment with how Fitbit syncs to MyFitnessPal, and you can read about them on the Fitbit Users group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

Wasn't the whole point of getting a Fitbit to track how much you're actually walking each day, rather than guestimating the time and logging it?

Certainly a HRM is better for cardio workouts and as @jaz050465 has said, use the stopwatch facility on the Fitbit to track when you start and finish a workout. I use my HRM for all my cardio workouts for the actual calorie burn (usually Tae Kwon Do and Jiujitsu) using the stopwatch feature on Fitbit for the timing. Then I check the activity record on Fitbit and log the calories burnt during that time on MFP and delete the record created on Fitbit. Others do it differently.

Actually, I got it mostly because it was FREE. I am of 2 minds on whether I wan't to track all my steps. I am leaning towards only listing walking as an exercise if it is intentional and active. My daily activity levels are otherwise job related and fluctuate depending on how busy it is that shift. I kind of feel like if it wasn't enough activity to keep me from gaining weight, I shouldn't count it towards my exercise or burn unless it's intentional increase over what I have to do for my job and my daily activities.
  • Loveyhowell1064
    Loveyhowell1064 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I got the fitit ultra, I have mine syned with my MFP and love it. I also like that it monitors how many times I am woke up during the night by showing me active when I toss or turn. I have noticed days I don't move about as much during the night I do feel better because I have gotten enough rest during my sleep. Monitoring the steps, love that, when I am close to 10,000 I tend to do more exercise to get my 10,000 steps in for that day. I think you will love it.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    THanks, Loveyhowell. That's the kind of feedback I wanted. People who were using it or not. Whether it helped or seemed to slow down their weight loss.