is cardio alone enough?

Options
I am intaking roughly 1350 in calories a day.. I usually never eat back my exercise calories.. Im 5'5, 135.. 22yo.. Can I become more "defined" with just cardio..or is lifting necessary for being more "defined" and losing weight? Any advice?

Replies

• thathockeychick23
    Options
    Cardio alone is not enough. And I heard it can actually be determential to your metabolism if you're just doing cardio. You absolutely need to do strength training and build muscle.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    That's strength training though - you don't need to pump iron. Pressups, assisted and then free Pullups, Squats and chair Dips are all fine for finding your body's strength capacity and maintaining it.

Oh - and if you find a good Yoga teacher who can challenge you safely, then you are away!
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges helped shape my butt! Can't get that with just cardio.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well.. if you have the muscles you want under your fat, there is a chance you could start to see them more as you reduce your body fat. But, if you are maintaining such a large caloric deficit and only doing cardio you are more likely to lose lean body mass as you reduce your weight. A smaller daily deficit over a longer period of time plus a bit of strength training would be your best bet.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Cardio alone? No. Strength training and a calorie deficit alone? Yes.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Become one with the barbbell. Strength training is boss.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I did mostly cardio for months, I lost most of weight just by diet and cardio, I'm very unhappy with the way I look now. I joined a gym 2 weeks ago, I cut way back on the cardio and I'm focusing on weight training...I love it and I'm already starting to feel different.

I was in a plateau from late June until last Friday....the weight training helped me break through it :-D
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do mostly cardio, but I also stretch every day. I don't have any weights to lift...:(
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to 'define' if you have no muscle.. Not eating enough calories and a lot of cardio will just eat away at precious muscle and leave you with no definition. Lifting while dieting will help preserve some of that muscle and of course making sure you get enough of your essential proteins, etc.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    The advice given above so far is on the money, cardio alone is not great to change your body shape. As noted / said already - cardio alone will produce a smaller you but you'll lose muscle and fat.

So if you weight train and that means lifting to maintain muscle not gain muscle, then you'll lose fat, have great shape and be all round in better shape.

Take a look at this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761241-for-those-who-get-mad-when-they-only-lose-a-pound

Check out the difference between fat and muscle - I'm sure you see why you want to keep muscle rather than cardio it away.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So I should be combining cardio and lifting????
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    and what defines strength training?? Does it have to include a barbell???????
  • angielovesherfamily
    Options
    bump
  • RockvilleA
    Options
    muscle is the source of metabolismm, bone density, and joint strengh. Without it, cardio alone will deteriorate your body from the inside and lead to other problems.
  • RockvilleA
    Options
    Resistance can come from your own body weight, i.e. push ups, sit ups, pull ups etc. But it is not a prolonged elevation of the heart rate like running is, where your body really depletes energy.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Im curious about this subject too..for instance when I work on the elliptical considered cardio...it feels like im working and building muscles in my legs...cant this also be strength training? or no?
  • RockvilleA
    Options
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Im curious about this subject too..for instance when I work on the elliptical considered cardio...it feels like im working and building muscles in my legs...cant this also be strength training? or no?

No.
  • RockvilleA
    Options
    the elliptical feels like it burns some muscles because it isnt a natural movement really. But it is great for those who require low impact. But it doesnt really burn too many calories.
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    well if resistence is strength training then I absolutely add that into my cardio workouts.. I use 5lb weights and do squats and things with them. Not always just cardio. Am I confused? :) lol I also add in lots of plank variations and squat variations at different speeds.