C25K AND 30DS?

Options
I will be starting week 3 of C25K on Wednesday. I also just picked up the 30 Day Shred DVD. Should I wait until I am done with the C25K program to start the 30DS? Has anyone done both at the same time? I heard the first day of 30DS does a number on your legs and I don't want to mess up my running program. Lol

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out with working out, or if you haven't been doing any sort of strength training, 30DS does have the ability to knock you on your butt for a few days! It took me out for 3 whole days! :laugh:

You could do both programs, I would alternate days (c25k is only three days a week anyway), but I would go really easy on the 30DS the first time or two through it. Use light dumbbells, don't squat or lunge too deeply at first - it's a killer!

The two are a good match up - on the days you do c25k, the walking and eventual running will be a good way to stretch out your muscles from the work you did the day before with 30DS.

I finished c25k in March, and I'm still running 3 days a week, and was doing Jillian DVDs on the other days. Have since moved to other programs, but same principle - weights & strength with a little cardio.
  • knittinggrad
    Options
    I did both at the same time last month, but I've been running for years and just did C25K to get back into it after taking a long break.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll probably start the 30DS and like you said, go a little easy. I planned on starting out with 3lb weights anyway because I just had shoulder surgery almost 3 months ago and don't think I could get away with 5lbs. Lol
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both right now. I just do whatever I feel like doing (within reason). If I feel like doing both in one day, sometimes I do. Sometimes I alternate. I've been known to have bad knees, but it hasn't been an issue yet. I just started working out again 3 weeks ago since having my baby. I took 6 weeks off to recover.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I did Ripped in 30 when I was doing C25K (had already done 30DS), and I just did C25K 3 days a week, and then did Ripped in 30 the other days, and sometimes took one day off a week.