Beaten like a dead horse...

Options
...but I'm just wondering for those who eat back exercise calories...do you only eat them THAT day you earn them, or do you bank them and use them throughout the week...kind of like how WW does??? Just curious...thanks.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them that day as I know my body NEEDS them to refuel. On occasion I'll "bank" them in the back of my mind if I'm under my cals one day. Then, I'll know over the weekend a glass of wine or margarita won't kill me;-)
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat them that day.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    WW let's you bank exercise calories for another day? That sounds ridiculous, that can't be right?

The whole point of eating the extra cals is to fuel your body, and then work them back off.

If you do 500 cals of exercise you should be eating 500 more that day not thinking I have 500 in the bank for later. Exercise is about improving how you look, not a way of getting some sneaky additional cals imho.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That day.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm particularly hungry but generally I have always banked them for weekend fun! :drinker:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have wondered this often myself!

For example, if I go over calories a lot on a Monday, but do cardio & strength training on Tuesday evening--what's the statute of limitations there? Obviously, the clock doesn't stop at midnight!

I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter too much as long as caloric input/output is fairly consistent week to week. I do know what you mean though.
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i usually eat some of them back, ifim feeling really hungry i will eat them all. If i know i will be having a big weekend or have plans i might "bank" most of them but i try to make sure my Net calories never go below 1200.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them back that day.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ...but I'm just wondering for those who eat back exercise calories...do you only eat them THAT day you earn them, or do you bank them and use them throughout the week...kind of like how WW does??? Just curious...thanks.

I have customised MFP to use my own fixed calorie levels which already factors in exercise.

However, either banking them (which is especially useful if a person knows they tend to over eat over the weekend) or eating the same day is fine. Your deficit will average out to be the same over the week in either scenario
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat them back on the day, any extra left over then I tend to just wright them off :ohwell: , unless Ive a big weekend coming up :drinker: , then I dont feel as guilty lol :glasses:
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Depends. Good exercise pretty much kills my appetite, so not always doable same day.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've eaten my exercise calories months ago, now all I have to do is the exercise
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I have customised MFP to use my own fixed calorie levels which already factors in exercise.

However, either banking them (which is especially useful if a person knows they tend to over eat over the weekend) or eating the same day is fine. Your deficit will average out to be the same over the week in either scenario

I also do this but because I exercise at night i found i'd be eating up until my calories but never over and i'd end up with a big defecit. Now i factor in 3/4 intense workouts a week and have set my calorie intake per day to suit this. Now i just eat up to that daily and have to be aware that if i skip training i'll be in maintenance rather than loss.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've eaten my exercise calories months ago, now all I have to do is the exercise

:laugh:

I love that!!!!

I need to eat them back that day....I am very hungry after 2 hours of workout :blushing:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    WW let's you bank exercise calories for another day? That sounds ridiculous, that can't be right?

The whole point of eating the extra cals is to fuel your body, and then work them back off.

If you do 500 cals of exercise you should be eating 500 more that day not thinking I have 500 in the bank for later. Exercise is about improving how you look, not a way of getting some sneaky additional cals imho.
    Your body doesn't reset itself at midnight though. If you burn off 500 calories and eat them back the next, your body will still be able to use them. Also, not everyone has the same goals or is exercising to improve how they look. (Not that I think that's relevant to this thread, just saying. :smile: )

OP, I generally eat them back the same day, it's just less complicated. I don't always eat (or net) exactly the same amount every day though, I like having the flexibility to eat a bit more one day and less the next if that fits what's going on in my life.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back exercise calories....at least some of them. But I also end up with a deficit at the end of most days. Those I "bank" for use later in the week. So long as your weekly average is good, it should be ok. I wouldn't make it huge (like not 500+ calories a day) but 500 calories for the week should be ok. I check my weekly average semi regularly to make sure I'm eating enough. Because some days, I just don't want to eat. Oh the joys of pregnancy. But my weekly average is generally good, so I don't worry about it.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat them that day, other days I bank them. I usually eat them all on days when I have late classes.

I general I like to bank for the weekend because I'm more likely to do stuff with friends then.
  • Sarazoied
    Options
    I've always wondered as well. I've done my own sort of experiment over the past few months and have concluded the following:-

1200-1500 calories per day + exercise = Weight loss.

BUT

1200-1500 calories per day + exercise + Extra calories earned from exercise = Weight maintenance

So it really does depend what you're looking to achieve; Weight loss or maintenance? Hope that helps :P
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That day, because I finish by 7 and eat after I'm done. But if you work out late at night, I'd go for the next day.