Breakfast

Options
What is everyone having for breakfast? I have a 1400 calorie per day limit. It seems like 2 fried eggs, and 1 piece of toast or 1 bowl of oatmeal uses up 25% of my calorie intake. What else can eat?

Replies

• Kate Smith
    Options
    What is everyone having for breakfast? I have a 1400 calorie per day limit. It seems like 2 fried eggs, and 1 piece of toast or 1 bowl of oatmeal uses up 25% of my calorie intake. What else can eat?
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    I have a very spaced out morning. We milk dairy cows so I take a 16 oz fat free cappuccino or a 16 oz sugar free hot chocolate plus a banana or a 100 calorie pack of strusell cakes to the barn in the morning and then by the time I get too eating breakfast I usually have 2 eggs , 1 bowl of Fiber One cereal or 1 package of oatmeal. This morning I goofed and had 2 packages of oatmeal so I am going to have to watch my calories the rest of the day. Sorry I am probably not much help cause it sounds like what you like to have for breakfast is the same thing I have.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Melynda
    Melynda Posts: 1
    Options
    Im on 1200 calories and your right it just doesnt seem like enough. Everything I want for breakfast is half of my calorie intake or at least a quarter. So I stick to the basics, fruit and a weight watchers bagel. Or 2 egg whites scrambled, with fat free ham, fat free cheese and salsa wrapped up in a weight watchers tortilla..
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I have ONE of these items:

mini bagel with nonfat cream cheese or 1 T peanut butter
    instant oatmeal
    high fiber cereal with 1% milk
    yogurt

That's standard, I always have one cup of cofee with creamer and 1 fruit, either apple or orange or 1/2 grapefruit. Then I always have a 100 calore snack about two hours later. That holds me well until lunch. I plan 300 calories for each meal, 100 for 3 snacks, and then I use 300 of my exercise calories each day to add some UMPH to the meals. That way I can add condiments for flavor.

Oh, one more thing, your 1400 is probably your minimum, complete even 300 calories in exercise and you can really add something to the meals. Also, I love eggs, but gave them up unless I want to mix them in with a nice serving of veggies because I was using too many calories for that meal, so I thought.
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    7:30AM - I have a cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer (about 70 calories). Then 1 cup of Kelloggs cereal with 1/4 cup of 1% milk (about 126 calories).

9:30 AM - I usually get hungry a couple hours later and eat a small banana (about 72 calories).

11:30AM - Lunch usually between 300-400 calories (usually a lean cuisine dinner entree)

2:00PM - Snack 100 calorie snack pack

5:30PM - Dinner - 500 calories

7:30-8PM - sugar free jello (10 calories)

Lots of water throughout the day.

I walk between 30 to 60 minutes every day which usually brings me back down to the 1200 net calories.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find a lower calorie bread? I just did some calculations - 25% of 1400 cals is 350 cals - 2 eggs, fried is 185 (by this site) and that leaves 165 - are you using a lot of butter? Maybe switching to lesser amounts of butter and a lower calorie bread might help you. Also 1 serving of oatmeal is 1/2 cup at 150 calories. Are you putting a bunch of half and half in it? or how are you getting the calories so high?

Sorry - lots of questions - but to help I guess I need a little more info!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    fiber one eng. muf with laughing cow cheese

2 points or 130 calories
    dd
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a breakfast bar of some sort (anywhere from 150 - 180 calories) and then a banana for a mid morning snack.
    I also just found these Chewy granola bars that are 90 calories, so I can have 2, which feels like a lot of food in the morning! :)

Also, I use a light bread that is 80 calories for 2 slices and just use a small amount of margarine to keep calories down when I eat eggs in the morning.
  • SheIsVirgo
    Options
    Quaker Oatmeal with apples and cinnamon. - 110 calories - quite filling

Yoplait Berries & Cream-fat free - 100 calories - snack

8 oz Gatorade--so I don't dehydrate - 50 calories

1 20 oz bottle of water

It held me till Lunch, and I didn't really feel hungy at lunch.

Good luck:happy:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I didn't answer your question before.....

yogourt, apples, eggs/ but use half yolk and more whites, weight watchers bread, turkey bacon, oatmeal is great, cereal with lots of fiber are some ideas.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate,
    I don't know if this will help you or not.
    I eat all day long. I have somethine roughly every hour.
    I work out from 5:00 - 6:30am and then to work by 7:30 I drink 2 bottles of water while working out.
    Once I am at work I have 2 cups of coffee with creamer before 8:00 (75 Cal)
    by 9:00 a bowl of instant flavored oatmeal (160 cal)
    at 10:00 I have a banana or other fruit, or a a special K bar, or a 100 calorie snack pack (100 cal)
    11:00 I have a can of Progresso light soup (120 Calories for the can) and a cheese it 100 cal snack pack (320 Cal)
    This holds me until 1 or 2 when I grab a bag of Buddig deli meat at 90 calories for a package (90 cal)
    or baby carrots
    I will snack the same in the afternoon (100 - 200 Cal)
    Home by 4:30
    Calorie total 945
    Then my dinner is anything with about 500 calories
    The times are all aproximate and of course I don't eat if I am not hungry but I have been at this since January 16th and have lost 16 pounds.
    I have a thryoid problem so it has always been very hard for me to lose weight but so far "grazing has worked for me.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular eggs, use egg beaters. It will save you about 100 cals. I have 1/4c egg beaters, 1 slice bologna and a slice of bread. Fold it up and you have one steamy sandwich. Delicious!
  • bishoph
    bishoph Posts: 15
    Options
    My trainer told me that you should have breakfast like a "King", lunch like a "Prince" and dinner like a "Pauper". I think it is OK to have 25% of calories for breakfast. I agree with others though, egg beaters, lower calorie bread (I eat Sara Lee Delightful Wheat bread- 45 calories/slice) and I use water in the oatmeal. Good Luck!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    My trainer told me that you should have breakfast like a "King", lunch like a "Prince" and dinner like a "Pauper". I think it is OK to have 25% of calories for breakfast. I agree with others though, egg beaters, lower calorie bread (I eat Sara Lee Delightful Wheat bread- 45 calories/slice) and I use water in the oatmeal. Good Luck!

I've heard this over and over and I agree with it in principal. The problem lies in the application since we in America are conditioned to skip breakfast and eat a big dinner. I'm learning from my exchange students that other countries do not eat like us. I try to even meals out at about 400 calories per meal and then three snacks at about 100 calories each. 25% of your total calories doesn't seem like much if you do 25% also for lunch and then dinner and then use up what's left for snacks.
  • Kate Smith
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. The calories figured are just going by what this site has for the type of food I eat. I'm so new to this I just go by what they have for calorie count on the foods or if it is a not listed food I put in the nutrtional info from the package.
  • kdahrens
    kdahrens Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to eat a packet of regular oatmeal, then add a half container of no fat vanilla yogurt and chopped strawberries. Also if you add ground flaxseed that will add fiber and really fill you up.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a hurry it's fiber One and skim milk with fruit.
    When I'm not in a hurry, I make egg beaters, turkey bacon or sausage, and put them on whole wheat toast.( I only buy nature's own-100% whole wheat at 50 cals a slice)

Egg Beaters only 60 cals per 1/2 cup, and 2 oz of turkey sausage is 100 cals, and Turkey bacon is only 100 per 4 slices!

breakfast for me is always less than 300 cals.

I hope this helps!
  • goodtimesdani
    Options
    This morning for breakfast I was in a big hurry so I had a Luna Sunrise blueberry yogurt bar - it was.. soooo heavenly. and it has more calories than most breakfast bars so you know its filling and it has lots of vitamins and fiber. try it sometime!
  • rhondababy
    rhondababy Posts: 119
    Options
    I think the trick is to figure out the calories and nutrition on several "breakfasts" and then you'll have easy to choose from options.
    I eat
    #1 egg beaters (1/2 cup) with green onions, fat free feta, and baby spinach, and 1 slice wheat toast
    (use olive oil spray to saute onions and spinach, then add egg beaters and cheese)

#2 1 cup oats (cooked measure) with 1/2 small apple- chopped (cooked with oats), cinnamon, 1 tsp. sweetener of choice (sugar, honey, low cal), and either 1/2 cup non-fat milk, or 1/2 cup plain yogurt. on top.

#3 "Worldwide Nutrition" brand Frosty chocolate shake in a can- with ice cubes, and frozen fruit in the blender.

#4 Cottage cheese or soft boiled eggs with 1 or 2 pieces whole grain toast (lightly sprayed with olive oil cooking spray)

I find this gives me lots to choose from depending on my mood, hunger level, time, etc...
    Good luck! You'll find some things that work well for you; there are so many wonderful things about this site- one being the amount of support and feedback!