Recovering Speed After Long Race?

Options
Ran my first half 9/22. Got my goal time of 1:59 (yay!) but I had to really push that last 1.1. I was great to 12 but then it was when the grit had to come out. Had some wicked calf cramps about 30 minutes after the finish (was too excited to remember to stretch, doh).

I felt okay the next day, but some twinges in the right side -- knee, glute, etc., So I took a few days off and then have backed way off on miles for the last two weeks because I wanted everything to rest and heal. Tonight went for a 5K with my husband. I don't like evening running and I do have some allergies going on, but I still was WAY off my 5k pace. Like a LOT. We have a race Saturday and am pretty sure I'm going to be mediocre at best.

Is this normal to be just a bit worn out or am I just being a wuss?

Replies

• RichEiler
    RichEiler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am thinkin her running w/ that hunk of muffin hubby of her's had her breathless LOL... :love:
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Is this normal to be just a bit worn out...

Yes, although over time your recovery will get quicker. In the meantime run very easy recovery runs and let your legs get here mojo back. Think reverse taper.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am thinkin her running w/ that hunk of muffin hubby of her's had her breathless LOL... :love:

Dear Husband, I cannot believe you just posted this. That is all :blushing:
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Is this normal to be just a bit worn out...

Yes, although over time your recovery will get quicker. In the meantime run very easy recovery runs and let your legs get here mojo back. Think reverse taper.

thanks, Timboom! That's how it feels. I was running SO GREAT in August that I set a PB in a training run for a 5K of sub 25. Today I would have hacked up a lung trying to get below 26. I will just accept it as part of it and not sweat what my time is Saturday. It's a good run and they give you beer at the end so all will be well regardless.