What is a healthy daily calorie intake to lose weight?

I have been asking around all over and everyone has a different opinion...what is a good calorie intake for someone who's 185 pounds and trying to lose weight that is strongly influenced by diet? I have been tracking 1200 calories on here for over a week, and am losing weight. Some have told me thats too low, and some have told me that its not:noway: . HeLp :)

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    10% less than your TDEE:-)
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    I like knowing this number, because on days when I want to eat more, I can eat at TDEE without being disappointed that i've "overeaten."
  • What is your TDEE? Just looked it up, it says I should be eating 1529 a day, i have been doing 1200 a day cause I thought thats what I should do, holy cow! According to this thing I'm starving myself ugh! Maybe thats why I've plateued?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It depends on your:
    height

Start here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • For women, 1200 is the general goal, but it tends to just maintain weight for me. To lose, you really need to combine that with exercise. Find a way to burn 100 calories a day and add it to your daily routine :smile:
    This was on that website too:
    The Weight Loss Plateau
    Over time our bodies adapt to the lowered calorie level. Our body becomes more efficient at using energy (lowered metabolism), and therefore burns less fat.

This is why most of us reach a weight loss plateau. At this point, the only option is to boost metabolism:

increased cardio,
    weight training,
    'cheat' meals (i.e. occasional high-calorie meals),
    cycling (or zig-zagging) calories,
    even manipulating macro-nutrient ratios can all help to do this (don't forget adequate sleep and hydration).

I like the cheat meal idea haha
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    ^^The only two ways to up resting metabolic rate is by: a) returning calorie intake back to maintenance and holding for an adequate amount of time and b) increasing lean body mass via strength training while on a calorie surplus or if you are a complete beginner [to strength training] while at a deficit. All the other methods, especially increased cardio - which will decrease lean body mass - will not lead to such an outcome.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    What is your TDEE? Just looked it up, it says I should be eating 1529 a day, i have been doing 1200 a day cause I thought thats what I should do, holy cow! According to this thing I'm starving myself ugh! Maybe thats why I've plateued?
    Did you calculate TDEE and get 1529?
    I'm 43, weigh158lbs, am 5'7", and exercise 5 times per week. My TDEE is about 2250.
    I subtract 250-500 cals from that number and use that as my daily calorie intake.
    The amount you subtract is up to you...500cals/day would translate to a 1lb/week loss.
    TDEE is your maintainance number....the number of cals (approx) that you can eat per day, and neither gain nor lose weight.