Earthquake Haiti - not diet related

AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All, This is nothing to do with eating or exercise.

I just want to encourage everyone to help out Haiti in the midst of the turmoil and disaster they are facing. Haiti was such a poor country to begin with it breaks my heart to see the wreckage from the earthquake. I just want to remind anyone who has seen hotel Rwanda of the conversation where the reporter tells Rwandans, don’t be excited that the US is going to see what is happening. People watch the footage and say oh that is so sad and then go right back to eating their dinner. I know that we can’t all do a lot to help but a little does go a long way and even a PRAYER would be perfect!

I am starting a fundraiser in my high school competing with other high schools in the area and hopefully it will raise a lot of money.

Even a prayer can help! Thanks for reading.

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    This is a good post....prayer is the first and best thing we can do...then we have to ACT.

Good for you and good luck with your fundraiser!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Service to Haiti suspended; UPS provides aid

Service Update

UPS is providing financial support and emergency logistics assistance to help survivors of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. We are working with local relief organizations to transport much needed supplies and food to the area. If you wish to donate to the relief efforts, UPS encourages you to work directly with the following organizations:

The American Red Cross - www.redcross.org
    CARE - www.care.org
    UNICEF - www.unicef.org

Regular pickup and delivery service in Haiti has been temporarily suspended because transportation infrastructure and airport service have been disrupted. At this time, shipments into Haiti are being held at the UPS facilities in Miami. Service will resume as soon as conditions allow.

The UPS package guarantee does not apply when transportation networks are disrupted.

Sorry, I posted about UPS shipping free to Haiti but I just got on their website and saw this....
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks for this post. I wanted to post something also, but didn't know here or how people would react.

I text HAITI to 90999 last night and donated $10.

Good luck with your fundraisers.
  • AnneElise
    Thanks all! I didn't know how people respond either but I figured MFP is about having a positive lifestyle change and I figured helping people is part of a positive lifestyle!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Wow,,, what a horrible tragedy.

I'm an engineer. Here's the big learning from this. Look at the pictures, look at the rubble, what do you see? Tons and tons of unreinforced concrete, collapsed and killing people. I see lots of slabs, but I don't see much re-bar.

Earthquakes don't kill people - if you were standing out in the middle of a cornfield and the biggest earthquake in history hit you'd get a shaky minute but you'd be fine. Earthquakes knock down poorly built buildings, and the buildings kill people.

No building codes, no building inspections. "Just put it up, as cheap as possible, and rent it out. It'll be fine". The death toll is high because the buildings they were in fell on them because they were poorly built. Let's send money, and let's pray, and let's try to help. Let's also pray that they rebuild better than they built originally.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    So true James 2:16. My mom talked about coordinating something with our local church.

Good luck on your fundraiser.
    This is a good post....prayer is the first and best thing we can do...then we have to ACT.

Good for you and good luck with your fundraiser!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I just made a donation at redcross.org. It's not much, but at least it's something. What a tragedy.
  • all my prayers go to everyone in Haiti. I have some family of mine heading over today to help out as well. i wish there was more we could do. but i will say this... Im so very glad to see everyone come together as a whole to help out thoes in need. its what the great lord above would want. as the old song goes"we are the world, we are the children"
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Great post.

Let's take things into perspective here. Assuming MFP has 1000 members on this site. Each member gives $1.00 to the American Red Cross...that is $1000.00 - $1000.00 = 4000 bottles of water. A bottle of water for someone's baby, someone's grandfather, someone's mom. They are in a state of anarchy, desperate times call for desperate measures. Your $1.00 could be saving an old lady from getting robbed or killed for her last bottle of water. Their president is now homeless walking the streets like everyone else. Think about it. Some people of Haiti were eating dirt for nutrition....and that was before the earthquake...think about it.

There are 310,000 million people in the U.S. If 200,000 million Americans each donated $10 - Haiti would have 2 trillion dollars. Think about it. ONE DOLLAR.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    our dd's 4th grade class (and prob some others) are collecting tiems to send down so we sent some in with her-
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Wow,,, what a horrible tragedy.

I'm an engineer. Here's the big learning from this. Look at the pictures, look at the rubble, what do you see? Tons and tons of unreinforced concrete, collapsed and killing people. I see lots of slabs, but I don't see much re-bar.

Earthquakes don't kill people - if you were standing out in the middle of a cornfield and the biggest earthquake in history hit you'd get a shaky minute but you'd be fine. Earthquakes knock down poorly built buildings, and the buildings kill people.

No building codes, no building inspections. "Just put it up, as cheap as possible, and rent it out. It'll be fine". The death toll is high because the buildings they were in fell on them because they were poorly built. Let's send money, and let's pray, and let's try to help. Let's also pray that they rebuild better than they built originally.

Very interesting perspective, I used to work for an engineering firm for 4 years as an admin. But I cant agree with you more. Those building killed those people. But look at it from another view, what if that happened in a large popular city like New York, Atlanta do you not think some of these buildings would fall if an earthquake errupted?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Some of the older ones would, of course. And a 7.0 is a hell of a shake. But most of what's been built in the last 30 years would be fine. BOCA codes are tough, for a reason.
  • AnneElise
    I am glad that you all are trying to help out!
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Thanks for this post. I wanted to post something also, but didn't know here or how people would react.

I text HAITI to 90999 last night and donated $10.

Good luck with your fundraisers.

I did this as well. WTG with the fundraiser!
  • yolandita
    yolandita Posts: 23 Member
    It definently, hurts my heart to see people in pain, that's why it is so important to help those in the Haiti tragedy. I have given what I can eventhough it was not alot. I do sincerely hope that that Country will be able to rebuild their home again, but on a stronger foundation than the last. Rest In Peace, to the lives lost in the Haiti tragedy.
  • I searched to see if there was a post about this before I did. Glad I found one!

I'm watching the telethon right now. I texted to donate and my daughters school raised some money today. A police officer who has been wroking down there to build a school came in to help them raise money. He boarded his plane to leave Haiti one hour before the earthquake hit. All of his work is now in shambles.

I saw Michael Dowd speak last year and one thing he said has stuck with me and it rings true in so many aspects of life. He said, "Out of every major catastrophe on Earth, something beautiful has emerged." It hurts to know that someone must suffer for that to be true, but it tends to work out that way.

Marianne Williamson recetly posted: "The love aroused by the catastrophe in Haiti is a giant force. It's like a genie from a bottle. When this is over let's not put it back!"

I hope to see the love continue as well. And in the future, lets be reminded that we don't need to see a tragedy before we take action. Don't mean to get philisophical on anyone. I'm just so touched, my heart is full, I need to express that.

My prayers are with Haiti and everyone everywhere. Let Love rule our planet!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    We had a fundraiser at school today. Our goal was to raise $2000.00 in 2 minutes. Every student was supposed to donate a dollar. Well we busted our goal and made it to $6000.00! So cool!
  • Thats awesome! I love that kids are apt to help without reservation. My daughter, who is 10, told me today that she knows what she wants to be when she grows up. She wants to dedicate the rest of her life to helping those less fortunate. The heart of a child is so pure, I believe they know best what the world needs.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I cut and pasted this from Thrivent Financial for Lutherans (I'm a member)

You want to help those affected by the Haiti earthquake. We want to join you.

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans will add $1 to every $2, up to a total Thrivent Financial contribution of $1 million, when our members donate to one of the following:

•Lutheran World Relief.
    •ELCA Disaster Response.
    •LCMS World Relief/Human Care.
    •WELS Committee on Relief.
    Thrivent Financial will add a maximum of $250 per member donation, and donations will be accepted through March 31, 2010.

For questions or to make a donation over the phone or via U.S. Mail, please call 800-236-3736 from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Central time, Monday – Friday. When prompted, please say "directory" and enter ext. 83003.

Turning $2 Million into $3 Million
    We expect that this response will result in more than $3 million to support the earthquake survivors: $2 million donated by members and an additional $1 million from Thrivent Financial.

Be a part of the Helping Haiti effort and make a difference for the victims of this natural disaster.

You can also donate (if you're a member) on their website, https://www.thrivent.com/helpinghaiti/index.html
This discussion has been closed.