High protein, low calories and "starvation mode"

Options
2»

Replies

• sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    HNNstyle - I'm 5'9, 120lbs. I'm in a treatment center for recovery trying to get the help I need! it's slow but it's gonna be worth it :)

take care dear :flowerforyou:
    xoxox
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not really enough for anyone TBH. Esp with exercise on top. If you are dropping carbs, at least keep fats in for a a good energy source once in ketosis.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to Lyle Mcdonald's 'Rapid Fat Loss Handbook'

I tried it earlier this year; was curious.

Basically, I ate 1000-1,200 calories every day for 10 days.
    Macros =
    Protein, 190-220g
    Carbs, 15-25g
    Fat, 10-20g
    ^Most carbs and fat came from trace sources in the meat I was eating, plus vegetables.

Meal 1 consisted of an egg white omelette with shredded ham and mushrooms.
    Meal 2, 3 were large cans of tuna.
    Meal 4 was chicken and vegetables, or 98% lean beef with very low fat cheese melted on top and veggies.
    and a snack was sugar free jelly, totalling 30kcal and consisting entirely of protein from beef gelatin.

The results?
    A massive loss of 6kg in 10 days. There was a huge spike of 3kg in the beginning due to water loss, then a steady loss from then on. I gained 3kg back afterwards when I had a massive pig out, but it was to my calculations a loss of 2.25kg fat and .75kg muscle.
    I was extremely grumpy, tired, run down. Weights were almost impossible due to no energy, but I still did my compound lifts every 3 days. Couldn't concentrate on anything.
    My bowels were royally messed up; going from one spectrum to the other in a day.

Starvation mode? Nah. Just in an extreme caloric deficit.
    It's good if you're a fitness model with a shoot in 2 weeks and too high bodyfat%, or perhaps a pro bodybuilder aiming to lose that last bit of fat before a competition if you've messed up your time frame and aren't at the goal yet.

But would I recommend it?
    No way in hell.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I find that i bulk up my thighs when i do strength training, i been doing stronglifts 5x5 and my thighs are getting bigger not sure if they swollen or its muscle but they tighter

I want to trim them and look thinner not bigger, will cardio and calorie deficit work or shud i continue do strength?
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Actually I think the comment on Anorexia was very valid. Too often are there posts asking "if I drop my calories to x amount, what will it do to my metabolism" but not enough of us consider what it does to our minds, as much as we consider starvation mode. Eating disordered people don't necessarily have eating disorders when they start a diet. It's often the weightloss + lack of nutrition + compliments about weightloss that fuel the spiral of anorexic thoughts that eventually leads to a more and more extreme version of "dieting". It's not just the body that gets starved but the brain too, and that's a vicious cycle. O.k it doesn't happen to everyone, but not everyone who smokes gets cancer, I just think that if you can't do it long term, it isn't worth doing. I'd rather not see results for a while, it doesn't go on quick, so it doesn't come off quick and all that. Things that take time and patience are much more rewarding anyway I think. Just my 2pennies though. :)