Thyroid treatment without meds?

Options

Replies

• Doomfrog
    Options
    I'm very, very happy that there appears to be hope. I'm also glad to hear that there isn't necessarily anything I've done to cause this. That is the part that I really wanted to research. If I did something to cause it, I would think I can do something to undo it. I'm amazed at how much this can affect.

I used to eat relatively clean. But I got so lazy over the past couple of months! I could barely keep my eyes open after my workouts, let alone cook. It occurs to me now, that maybe I wasn't being lazy but really was just tired. I've also been just feeling really complacent which in turn made me feel depressed. I was frustrated that I couldn't just "snap out of it." Relieved to know that this could be PART of the cause. Still convinced that a cleaner diet will help me feel better overall.

Anyone out there who regulates with their meds combined with diet, feel free to friend me! It would be nice to be "pals" with people in a similar situation.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    Please qualify the term "diabetes" - it's misleading to say diabetes can be cured with dietary adjustment - it's true that insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) will improve with weight control and dietary adjustment, but the autoimmune sort, the one needing insulin immediately at diagnosis, can't be, and it's dangerous to imply it could be.

You're right, I should've been more specific! I'm aware that there are different kinds of diabetes. Hopefully no one's stupid enough to take medical advice online seriously, which sort of proves my point, I guess. OP, your doctor prescribed you a medicine, why are you asking a bunch of strangers online what you should do? If you have doubts about it, ask another doctor.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had any success in treating themselves without meds. I'm not asking for medical advice. Just wanting to get an idea of what other people's experience has been. I'm not "stupid" enough to take medical advice from an online forum. I really don't think there is anything wrong with doing a little research, and sometimes that means getting anecdotal evidence based on other's experience. I don't feel like that is a stupid thing to do.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    Also, she didn't prescribe me the meds yet. I asked for 4 weeks to do my research and then I go get tested again.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm probably repeating information already given to you. I am sorry that you are going through this. I have hypothyroidism due to hashimotos. It took ten years of living through depression, putting on over 50 lbs and all the symptoms you described to get a handle on the situation. I'm now on .137 mcg synthroid.
    However, I want you to know that taking this "magic" pill will not be enough for some people. To lose weight, it will take more work and more time. To figure out the right dosage it will take time and experiments on your body. Some women advocate the "natural hormone" which is a form of a pig thyroid. It works well for them, it didn't for me.

On the bright side...yes there is one.... You know now and can make decisions to change the cycle. I'm sure your doctor told you the long term effects of not getting the thyroid hormones in your system. From my own experience, there was no way to get that hormone except through a pill.

When I finally got stabilized and started focusing on losing the extra weight. I plateaued for almost 6 months. I went to the endocrinologist thinking they just up my dosage and the weight will start to disappear. Nope. It was a kick inthe *kitten* for me to change my diet. This "magic pill" wasn't enough. It will never be enough. Diet and exercise is the only way to get your body back to "health". Stick with support from MFP. It has been a great source of information and support. You'll find what works for you by keeping the log on MFP and analyzing it. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

P.s. check out the Metabolism Miracle book. It has helped me get a handle on diet. Hope this helps.
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have had Hypothyrodism for over 13 years. The only way I have found that works is the medicine. Once you start taking the medicine in a few weeks all of that stuff gets better...I have a few things that linger but for the most part you will feel much, much better. You will feel like a different person afterwards. If you wanna send me a message with some questions feel free to, as someone who has lived with this for years it can be a kind of scary diagnosis. Do you know what your actual TSH number was?
  • boneill514
    Options
    thyroid hormone is in every single cell of your body. it governs metabolism on a cellular level - which means it is necessary inside of each cell for it to work properly. I also tried iodine, herbs, armour thyroid, and finally succombed to levothyroxine - which turns out to be the only thing that works for me everyday. there are no side effects. it is very important to have blood levels checked to maintain the correct amounts in your system - for obvious reasons.
    Bonnie, RN
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    I have had Hypothyrodism for over 13 years. The only way I have found that works is the medicine. Once you start taking the medicine in a few weeks all of that stuff gets better...I have a few things that linger but for the most part you will feel much, much better. You will feel like a different person afterwards. If you wanna send me a message with some questions feel free to, as someone who has lived with this for years it can be a kind of scary diagnosis. Do you know what your actual TSH number was?

It was 7.2. Unless there is some other level that I haven't educated myself on yet.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    P.s. check out the Metabolism Miracle book. It has helped me get a handle on diet. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Purchased and loaded onto my Kindle. Will peruse this evening.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Also, she didn't prescribe me the meds yet. I asked for 4 weeks to do my research and then I go get tested again.

4 weeks is NOT enough time to even begin healing the body to make a difference in your TSH or other Thyroid hormone levels.

My advice (coming from someone that had a TSH of 12.4 ) is to ask for Armour Thyroid (it is ALL natural pig thyroid, so you get all components and not just the T4 hormone like Synthroid, which is also synthetic).

Ask for Armour Thyroid and get back to clean eating. Cut out the gluten containing grains. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, stay away from all soy (soy is in almost ALL packaged foods now days in some form or another).

Get plenty of sleep, exercise and eat well. It has taken me almost 4 years to go from 2 grains of Armour Thyroid down to half grain. It is a slow healing process, but one that can be done if the person is willing to put in the work.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, if you find it please let me know. :wink: I'm looking at hormone replacement (and fighting with doctors over it) for the rest of my life because my body just isn't really making it much anymore.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

4 weeks is NOT enough time to even begin healing the body to make a difference in your TSH or other Thyroid hormone levels.

My advice (coming from someone that had a TSH of 12.4 ) is to ask for Armour Thyroid (it is ALL natural pig thyroid, so you get all components and not just the T4 hormone like Synthroid, which is also synthetic).

Ask for Armour Thyroid and get back to clean eating. Cut out the gluten containing grains. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, stay away from all soy (soy is in almost ALL packaged foods now days in some form or another).

Get plenty of sleep, exercise and eat well. It has taken me almost 4 years to go from 2 grains of Armour Thyroid down to half grain. It is a slow healing process, but one that can be done if the person is willing to put in the work.

If you have hell finding Armour, like I do, you can also order ERFA's Thyroid brand from Canada. This has been so convenient.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Mine is underactive. I've been taking Synthroid for it for 8yrs. It has made a great difference!! Mine was found by accident too. Once I was told about it it definitely explained how I had been feeling- tired all the time and gained some weight even though I was watching what I ate and exercising. All this was before I had kids and had never had a weight problem. I'm not sure if you have kids already or will be trying at some point but a thyroid that is not under control can cause issue while you are pregnant (ie miscarriage) and other issues. The dosage had to be changed several times while i was pregnant as your hormones change so much.
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so apologise if someone has mentioned this already. There is a natural thyroid supplement which you can take, I was on it successfully for years. It's Armour Thyroid, so may be worth looking into it. It's quite expensive, which is why I eventually gave up and went onto the synthetic version. Good luck :-)
  • yorkiemom0820
    yorkiemom0820 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    YES I TAKE THYROID MED EVERYDAY. IT'S JUST ONE PILL A DAY. I HAD A GOITER REMOVED FROM MY THROAT AND THEY REMOVED MY THYROID TO. I UNDERSTAND THE HAIR FALLING OUT, AND I GAINED WEIGHT, STAYED COLD AND ECC.... I'M GLAD I HAD THE SURGERY. YOU WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT AND IT MAY GET WORST IF YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER! GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It was 7.2. Unless there is some other level that I haven't educated myself on yet.

It would be good to know your T3 and T4 (some doctors go only by TSH; others do the whole spectrum. Synthroid/Levoxyl are T4 only, more natural like Armour are both T3 and T4, and Cytomel is a fairly newer/newer studied drug that is only T3). All three levels play a role in

Like someone earlier said--many doctors jump to "here's the drug!" Why? Well, you can't treat thyroid issues with "weight loss/gain, diet, etc." However, I feel many doctors don't try to figure out what the issue is. Has there been an ultrasound done on your thyroid? Perhaps there's nodules or a goiter that's small enough for you not to notice, but is what's actually throwing off your levels (these things can be removed invasively or uninvasively, or controlled by meds).

As for the, "having to take something for the rest of my life"... lots of people have to take various meds for the rest of their life just to the crapshoot of genetics. I had a complete thyroidectomy when I was 13 due to the possibility of cancer (turned out to be benign, but the thyroid was already out by that point...). I will have to take a pill the rest of my life. I've had to take one as long as I can remember. Is it an issue? No. The 1 sec to pop the pill and the half-hour to hour of watching what I eat directly after is so commonplace to me, it's a nonissue.

I know we don't like to be dependent on meds, but at least you HAVE your thyroid! It IS possible for thyroid levels to change through different hormonal periods... so it really is possible you may be able to go off thyroid meds in the future. I don't have that opportunity, and often wonder what I'd do during the zombie apocalypse ;)

You did not cause this. Medicine will help this. It might not even be forever. Your symptoms can only improve (provided your doc doesn't go crazy with dosing). Think positive!
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started taking Synthroid several years ago. According to my blood tests, my "numbers" are where they are supposed to be. However, if I miss taking a pill for any reason, I feel no different. I found this topic very interesting, reading everyone's response. The doctor tells me I am adjusted and within normal range now, but I did not feel any different than I did before I started taking the daily dose. My hair also started thinning bad and is STILL thinned out. In fact, it has gotten worse over the past few years. I did not lose a single pound because of going on this medicine either. It does make me wonder why I am taking it, but I don't want to stop the meds either... just in case!!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump....I need help!!!!!
  • Shoshona1950
    Shoshona1950 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Most women are dying to get this diagnosis and get on the meds."

I, and others I know, are working with diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction w/o the meds. I have been for two years.
    I was diagnosed accidentally as a scan for a head injury showed growths on my thyroid, then I tested as having low thyroid function.
    I'm exercising, eating better - as in being aware of my protein intake by using MFP, and I take, nearly every day, a Thyroxin-Free Thyroid Glandular capsule. My pharmacist, who I trust more than the doctors, suggested I do research before picking up the meds prescribed, as once you are on them the thyroid stops needing to work on it's own. It is VERY difficult to get off the MEDS.....and the only person I know who is on them constantly needs the dosage adjusted, as her moods and weight are out of her hands.

Best wishes for being able to take control of this yourself - keep researching.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I've taken synthroid for probably around 20 years now. My thyroid was 4 times as low as it should have been. Best thing I ever did. It was like night and day. It's also hereditary- my dad's been on them longer yet.

I'm not much of a pill taker myself, but if your parts aren't working right, you need to do something about it. Any amount of vitamins you take aren't going to make it start working again. Then you are still taking pills. Why not take the pills that are specifically made for leveling your thyroid.

The way I felt when it was low was not a regular kind of tired. It was like your batteries fell out. Like you're in a daze or can't concentrate too good. The pills adjust what wasn't there and make your levels be where they need to be. You will be checked every so often to make sure they are in the range. Sometimes it may change a little and they will alter the strength. It's no big deal.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I started taking Synthroid several years ago. According to my blood tests, my "numbers" are where they are supposed to be. However, if I miss taking a pill for any reason, I feel no different. I found this topic very interesting, reading everyone's response. The doctor tells me I am adjusted and within normal range now, but I did not feel any different than I did before I started taking the daily dose. My hair also started thinning bad and is STILL thinned out. In fact, it has gotten worse over the past few years. I did not lose a single pound because of going on this medicine either. It does make me wonder why I am taking it, but I don't want to stop the meds either... just in case!!

Synthroid and levoyxl have longer half-lives, which mean it takes roughly two weeks for a pill to metabolize. Missing a pill once in awhile wouldn't make much difference, or a few weeks down the road you might feel a little more tired but not realize it was from weeks earlier.

If you really feel no different either way, I'd say you're either incredibly fortunate, or became so accustomed to your symptoms and signs that you didn't realize you felt the way you did because of thyroid (like thinning hair/eyebrows--not a very detrimental sign, but still a sign!).

Untreated thyroid or improperly treated thyroid can cause endocrine chaos--it's a hugely vital organ to the body. Case in point: I was severely underdosed because of pretty much medical malpractice. My adrenals began shutting down and resulted in a very lengthy medical recovery. More recently, I was too OVERdosed... resulting in my adrenals pumping far too much cortisol (which can then lead to adrenal fatigue), and yet another lengthy medical recovery.

Your endocrine system is (obviously) all connected; staying on top of thyroid treatment helps keep everything running smoothly.