KettleBell Workout??

Options
From what I have seen lately on the internet and on TV KettleBell workouts do a body good. I have 25lbs to lose by December/January at the latest and need to do what is best and most effective to get me to my goals. What say ye? Has anyone done a kettlebell workout? What is the best/least boring workout for me to do and get me great results?

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bump...definitely interested in the answers to this as well.
  • sgwhit
    sgwhit Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My favorite is on you tube. It's Fitness Blender Kell's Kettlebell routine. It's 33 minutes and it's a GREAT workout!!
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I teach a 30 minute KB class and I LOVE it! It's very challenging and I usually burn about 450- 550 calories in a 1/2 hour class. :smile:
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts are awesome. Simply incorporating kettlebell swings into an already established regimen can make a big impact. Swinging the kettlebell gets your heart rate up, it provides somewhat of a cardiovascular workout as well as a strength training workout. I reccommend incorporating kettlebell swings into an existing workout circut. Only reason is because it works for me. My boyfriend has three degrees in exercise physiology and public health and when he was my trainer, kettlebells helped me drop 20% of my body fat.

Make sure that you are swinging properly or doing other kettlebell work correctly because you can get hurt.. you can especially hurt your back.

Hope this helps!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 kettlebell workouts in the last 6 weeks, each 1 hour long. I am pretty sore after but I already see a big difference in my body! Make sure you do your first few workouts with an experienced trainer, form is very important so you don't injure yourself.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I teach a 30 minute KB class and I LOVE it! It's very challenging and I usually burn about 450- 550 calories in a 1/2 hour class. :smile:

Wow, what a great burn in only 1/2 an hour!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    My favorite is on you tube. It's Fitness Blender Kell's Kettlebell routine. It's 33 minutes and it's a GREAT workout!!

I will have to check that one out Losinit!! Thanx ;-D
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts are awesome. Simply incorporating kettlebell swings into an already established regimen can make a big impact. Swinging the kettlebell gets your heart rate up, it provides somewhat of a cardiovascular workout as well as a strength training workout. I reccommend incorporating kettlebell swings into an existing workout circut. Only reason is because it works for me. My boyfriend has three degrees in exercise physiology and public health and when he was my trainer, kettlebells helped me drop 20% of my body fat.

Make sure that you are swinging properly or doing other kettlebell work correctly because you can get hurt.. you can especially hurt your back.

Hope this helps!

Agree with this word for word! I love kettlebells - I initially started them to stave off excess skin and have stuck with them ever since. Great for getting the heart going AND shaping up.
  • Curvimami
    Options

Hope this helps!

Agree with this word for word! I love kettlebells - I initially started them to stave off excess skin and have stuck with them ever since. Great for getting the heart going AND shaping up.

Wow 82lbs down and you look fantastic!!! I think I will definitely be giving kettlebells a whirl :happy:
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Wow 82lbs down and you look fantastic!!! I think I will definitely be giving kettlebells a whirl :happy:

Aw, thank you. I mixed kettlebells with a LOT of cardio (zumba six times a week). Worked for me; I maintain that kettlebells are the reason why I don't have saggy skin on my arms.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I have done 5 kettlebell workouts in the last 6 weeks, each 1 hour long. I am pretty sore after but I already see a big difference in my body! Make sure you do your first few workouts with an experienced trainer, form is very important so you don't injure yourself.

I've heard about the danger of improper form with kettlebells, I believe that is why I have been a bit apprehensive to do the workout
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I'll have to look for this. Thanks!
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have 25 lb to lose your main goal is a calorie deficit. For 3 months you will need to set your calorie deficit to losing 2 lb/week, and stick with it. No amount of exercising will help lose weight without a deficit (but you can get toned and drop sizes). For me, that calorie deficit can only be created by exercise since I can't eat little enough to lose weight. Kettlebells are a great all round exercise that I love that incorporates cardio and strength. Sarah Lurie's 4 volume set is cheap on Amazon, has training as well as 3 great workouts- two single KB, one double KB. about 25 mins each. Kettlebell Bombshell Advanced has an interval workout that gets my heartrate sky high, 35 minutes long. There are also 2 other workouts on it, one a double KB workout.I would recommend both of these. My heart rate monitor suggests that I burn about 90-100 calories per 10 minutes with these KB workouts (I am 125 lb). That's the same burn rate I have with running 6.5 mph steadily. The KB workouts tend to be more interval-type workouts so that the actual exercise time is less, for the same total burn rate. Hope that last bit makes sense. I was confused how to log interval workouts until I got my HRM.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    If you have 25 lb to lose your main goal is a calorie deficit. For 3 months you will need to set your calorie deficit to losing 2 lb/week, and stick with it. No amount of exercising will help lose weight without a deficit (but you can get toned and drop sizes). For me, that calorie deficit can only be created by exercise since I can't eat little enough to lose weight. Kettlebells are a great all round exercise that I love that incorporates cardio and strength. Sarah Lurie's 4 volume set is cheap on Amazon, has training as well as 3 great workouts- two single KB, one double KB. about 25 mins each. Kettlebell Bombshell Advanced has an interval workout that gets my heartrate sky high, 35 minutes long. There are also 2 other workouts on it, one a double KB workout.I would recommend both of these. My heart rate monitor suggests that I burn about 90-100 calories per 10 minutes with these KB workouts (I am 125 lb). That's the same burn rate I have with running 6.5 mph steadily. The KB workouts tend to be more interval-type workouts so that the actual exercise time is less, for the same total burn rate. Hope that last bit makes sense. I was confused how to log interval workouts until I got my HRM.

Wow!!! Thanx so much for the info. Greatly appreciated :love:
  • gma8903
    gma8903 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and using a small kettlebell. I love it, but every time I use it my lower back really hurts. The same thing happens with Taebo. Any suggestions? I try to watch my form, but I'm I know it's not perfect. I really don't want to give up on the kettlebells. I've pretty much stopped Taebo because of the pain. :( I sometimes switch to Zumba for variety, and to give my back a break. Maybe it's age related, but I'm not ready to give up yet.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Look into Lauren Brooks kettlebell workouts, on the edge fitness. Also her blog; kbellqueen.blogspot.com
    Love her kettlebell workouts, I have 2 DVDs, my husband likes them too. Will be incorporating them back into my routine after I finish ChaLean extreme.
  • gma8903
    gma8903 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This may have been addressed before, but how to you figure kettlebells into your fitness record? I tried doing a search for them, but nothing came up. Thanks!
  • ElizaDnl
    Options
    Bump to follow all the links later.

But I'm also wondering what's the max weight that's realistic for a female to use?