Fiber?!?!?!

Options
I am finding that I continue to go over my fiber allocations for the day before lunch? I understand that for weight loss there should be a balance of all things, but I was just wondering are the fiber allocations too low? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    this has nothing to do with anything but i was wondering if someone could tell me how to post a message on the message board like this. Im new to using this so i dont know :)
  • KLSimpson
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it though. Has anyone ever heard that you can get too much fiber?? I did have some unpleasant digestive issues the first week though, so fiber should probably be increased gradually.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    What is your fibre intake goal for each day?

I usually get anywhere from 20-30 grams of fibre a day. Anything lower than that and I feel horrible. I don't think extra fibre is a bad thing, just make sure you drink enough water so that you don't get "backed" up. :D
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Fiber, your ok if you go over a little bit, but I'd try to spread it throughout the day, I think they are low, I can't remember cause I don't track that... and if you go to community and then click on the topic you want like "food and nutrition" you can click "new topic"... hope this helped!

~Leash :heart:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the fiber allocation is quite low. I have raised mine to 30 grams/day but will try to actually hit 35-40. Fiber helps to fill you up, is found in healthy foods and keeps you <ahem> regular. :wink: You can google and get information on what your daily allotment should be for fiber. My opinion is the more fiber, the better!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    "The latest recommendation on daily intake of dietary fiber (non-starch polysaccharide) comes from the National Academies' Institute of Medicine (IOM).

Daily Recommended Fiber Intake
    Women
    25 grams per day, for women younger than 50
    21 grams per day, for women older than 50

Men
    38 grams per day, for men younger than 50
    30 grams per day, for men older than 50

Soluble vs. Insoluble Fiber
    Most nutritionists and diet experts suggest that approximately 20-30 percent of our daily fiber intake should come from soluble fiber.

Extra Fiber May Need Extra Water
    Dietary fiber soaks up water and increasing your fiber intake may divert water from cells. So when increasing your fiber consumption, be sure to increase your intake of fluids accordingly.

Not Too much Fiber from Wheat Bran
    Wheat bran contains phytates - chemicals which attach themselves to minerals and make them unavailable to the body. So to avoid calcium and other mineral deficiency, it's best to get your fiber from a variety of good sources, like fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and beans.

Increase Your Fiber Intake Gradually
    If your diet is currently low in dietary fiber, don't raise your fiber intake too quickly, as this may trigger flatulence, bloating and other side effects. Instead, start including one or two high fiber foods daily. Then, every three or four days, add another high fiber food, and so on."

This is what I found on th web. I personally try to get at least 30 gms per day (I'm WELL over 50 - over 60 in fact and male)
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks All!! :)
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The fiber is waaaaaay too low on the default setting! You need a MINIMUM of 20g daily (on 1200cal). Fiber is good for colon health and keeps you regular, reduces risk of diabetes and heart disease, if you are diabetic it helps to control your blood glucose, lowers blood cholesterol levels, and some studies show it helps reduce the risk of colon cancer (one of the most common cancers). I just went in to "my goals" and left the default the way it is and changed my fiber goal to a minimum of 20g daily. It's good that you are over on your fiber - good job!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to 25g quite awhile ago, and it has been good for me! I was always over too until I changed it. Yummy fiber!!