whole grains

Options
I don't think i am getting enough whole grains in my diet since i am trying to not eat a lot of bread to keep out the excess sugar and calories (i don't really enjoy bread). I have oatmeal once in a while also, but what are some low calorie/sugar whole grain options for me?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Most Americans don't. The average adult only eats 15 grams of dietary fiber per day.

How much fiber do you need? Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories
    Maybe take a supplement and avoid the sugar and calories.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fiber-how-much-do-you-need
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Most Americans don't. The average adult only eats 15 grams of dietary fiber per day.

How much fiber do you need? Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories
    Maybe take a supplement and avoid the sugar and calories.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fiber-how-much-do-you-need

But is it only the fiber that is important to get from the grains?
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I snack on Triscuits because I like something crunchy once in a while.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    But is it only the fiber that is important to get from the grains?

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/index.html

How Do Whole Grains Improve Health?

Whole grains don't contain a magical nutrient that fights disease and improves health. It's the entire package—elements intact and working together—that's important.

The bran and fiber in whole grains make it more difficult for digestive enzymes to break down the starches into glucose. Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol. Insoluble fiber helps move waste through the digestive tract. Fiber may also kindle the body's natural anticoagulants and so help prevent the formation of small blood clots that can trigger heart attacks or strokes. The collection of antioxidants prevents LDL cholesterol from reacting with oxygen. Some experts think this reaction is a key early step in the development of cholesterol-clogged arteries. Phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) found in whole grains may protect against some cancers. So might essential minerals, such as magnesium, selenium, copper, and manganese. These minerals may also help reduce the risk for heart disease and diabetes. And then there are the hundreds of substances that haven't yet been identified, some or many of which may play as-yet-undiscovered roles in health.

----I don't eat much bread either, though I do often eat whole grain wraps (I love Flat Out brand wraps) and eat a lot of brown and wild rice. Tabouleh salad made with bulgar wheat is a delicious way to get whole grains. Barley is great in soups or stews.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal is a good option. The Special K crackers are a tasty snack. You can also add brown rice to homemade soups, add oats in with hamburgers/meatloaf, thow a handful of oats in yogurt, and buy whole grain pastas.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm in the other side of the spectrum, too many... You can try adding Quinoa and brown rice to your diet. There are many great recipes that you can use until you find one that is easy and you like doing. One of my favorites is quinoa flour crepes. Super easy, fast and low calorie (about 70 calories ea.) I also add flaxseed to the mix for added fiber.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips!