Brand New to Running

Options
I am having a hard time getting a good grip on running. I've always been a swimmer, but think that I'm water logged now :cry: I've always wanted to get into running, but have never succeeded. Any advice? Any help?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're not alone, many swimmers have a difficult time making the transition to running (and vice versa). My swim coach from last year competed internationally for Canada and was just recently inducted into his university's "Hall of Fame" and is the first to admit running 10km is a real challenge for him.

Best advice I can offer is to take it slow (swimmers tend to have very flexible ankles which is not a desirable attribute in running) and progress at a conservative pace. Aim for short slow distances to start (alternate walking and running if this is more comfortable) If you're consistent and persevere you will improve (as a swimmer you probably already have terrific aerobic capacity).

If it's any consolation the idea of running 20km doesn't frighten me but if I had to swim 1000m freestyle continuously I would probably die.......and I want to do a triathlon next year.:sad:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Check out the c25k program - google it and you'll find a overview of the plan, and if you've got a smart phone there are tons of free apps that have the program so you can take it with you.

Basically it's a nine week plan that starts you out slow, with intervals of walking and running. It's three days a week, and gradually increases the running intervals until you're running for 30 minutes (or about a 5k distance) by the ninth week. Made a runner out of me!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The C25K is a good program. Another option is to get a HRM and run until your HR is at 80-85% of max. Then walk until your HR is about 50-60% of max and repeat for 30-40 minutes.

The running times will get longer as your heart becomes more efficient.