Brr! Running in the cold

Options
2»

Replies

• BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It was 28 when I went out this morning. Arms and legs were fine - hands were fine in small light gloves. Real issue was my face - super cold the whole time. Is there anything I can do for that?

I'm in Minnesota, so it's only going to start getting colder, and I really prefer running outside than inside on a treadmill.
  • mg1278
    mg1278 Posts: 1
    Options
    It was 28 when I went out this morning. Arms and legs were fine - hands were fine in small light gloves. Real issue was my face - super cold the whole time. Is there anything I can do for that?

I'm in Minnesota, so it's only going to start getting colder, and I really prefer running outside than inside on a treadmill.

Some people buy balaclavas (like ski masks), but I've never used one. When it gets below 10 degrees, I put a light coat of Vaseline on my face. It helps prevent wind burn, and does help to keep my face from feeling so cold. The coldest air temperature that I've run in was -10 and the coldest windchill was -25.

http://www.saltyrunning.com/2012/10/09/running-fashion-police-pants-shorts-or-tights-for-running/ has some tips on cold weather pants/shorts.