Plain yogurt help!

Options
2»

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I use plain, nonfat Greek yogurt primarily in smoothies or as a dip for apple slices (at which point it take on a cream cheese quality). If you're not opposed to Splenda, you could add a touch of a sugar-free, flavored syrup intended for coffee. Other options include Truvia, honey, fresh fruit, fruit purees. The other day I recreated a pumpkin spice latte in yogurt form. ;) Often I season plain yogurt and use it as a substitute for mayo or tartar sauce. It's a very adaptable food! :)
  • singitella
    Options
    Honey and blueberries/strawberries/raspberries. Maybe some granola or flaxseeds for crunch.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Try vanilla instead and use the plain for recipes.
  • trmndsblndtte
    trmndsblndtte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use pure vanilla extract or pure almond extract in my yogurt. I tend to eat it with fruit or oatmeal, but the extract gives it just that extra something.

If you feel like you need to sweeten it (I'm kind of opinionated about sweetening things) I'd start with something like agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup.

I'm definitely pro-berry (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries - YUM!). I also think plain Greek yogurt with pomegranate (when in season) is a little piece of heaven.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It's good just with fruit. However it's REALLY good mixed with vanilla protein powder - makes a rich vanilla yogurt to eat alone or with fruit, Also you can mix it with chocolate protein powder and it turns into chocolate pudding.
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't like it but, my wife eats it for a mid-morning snack 5 days a week. She puts it in a bowl, then adds a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup and a handful of raspberries or blueberries or both. She usually prepares the bowl the night before and takes it out of the fridge on her way to work. She loves it. Good luck with all your goals.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Get some liquid stevia in your favorite flavor (my faves are Lemon Drop, Valencia Orange, and Chocolate), add about 10-15 drops of that, some nuts of your choice (I love raw cashews), and then add some cut up fruit (I do fresh strawberries). And there you go! A delicious healthy meal! :)
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Plain low claorie yogurt is extremely tasty with berries and/or fruits. I am having plain yogurt with rasberries, blackberries and blueberries most days. It is super tasty.

I also make an Eastern European-style mushroom and onion salad with it which you can use as a sandwich topper or have it with anything really.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have added a tad bit of crystal light, pretty good. start small, can always add more
    - Add small amount of Honey for sweetness
    - Have added small amount of pumpkin puree, mmmmm
    - Sprinkle of Splenda, but not too much
    - Fruit - Fresh or Frozen - I will buy frozen berries and put a few in yogurt
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Mio, any flavor. I like to mix my yogurt with water, mango peach Mio, and a little cumin--terrific low calorie, high protein Mango Lassi!

The berry pomegranate Mio is great if I'm eating it as yogurt. I also have been known to add it, plain, to protein shakes.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I use honey or unthawed (with the juice) frozen berries! I also use it in place of sour cream...yumm with added protein! P.S. I only use greek yogurt! :)

I also find it does not alter the flavor of my smoothies since the fruit and such is so overpowering! :)
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the tips. I just didn't want to throw it out, but didn't think I could eat it plain.
  • Roboartist
    Options
    Vanilla extract, stevia and fresh berries.
  • gaylynn35
    Options
    It's good just with fruit. However it's REALLY good mixed with vanilla protein powder - makes a rich vanilla yogurt to eat alone or with fruit, Also you can mix it with chocolate protein powder and it turns into chocolate pudding.

The chocolate protein powder sounds yummy, I will have to try that. Thanks.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    She puts it in a bowl, then adds a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup and a handful of raspberries or blueberries or both.

I do this too. Plain greek yogurt with a handful of berries and a drizzle of honey. Sometimes I add shaved almonds.
  • gaylynn35
    Options
    Plain yogurt is what i always use for smoothies. I add in a banana and some hemp seeds and either fruit or juice or hemp milk, or sometimes cow's milk. Sometimes I use honey or stevia. I have tried to dress it up to just eat like regular yogurt, but it never tastes right. But in a smoothie, it's just the base to give it thickness.

Thanks, I am going to try it out.
  • gaylynn35
    Options
    Cinnamon
    Honey
    Agave
    Fresh fruit
    Coconut and pineapple with no calorie sweetener or maple syrup
    Dark chocolate shavings
    Cocoa powder

Plain yogurt is my favorite. I really just love layering it with a banana and sugar free maple syrup and it tastes like a banana
    cream pie

Sounds yummy, I will try it.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    put protein in it grounded almonds some fresh fruit .