Transitioning to Vegan...Need Vegan Friends :-)

Options
I have been a vegetarian for 2 years and now working on transitioning to vegan. I need some friends from whom I can learn a little more about what items need to be cut/added. I struggle with cheese mostly but there are some things I may think are vegan that actually are not that I still eat which is why I'm sending out the SOS :smokin:

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can be much help as I am currently still vegetarian but I would like to make the transition to vegan so i'd be interested to see how you get on. Add me if you like.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    added you :)
  • cookiemahnster
    cookiemahnster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegan as my boyfriend is (totally) vegan and we only keep vegan food in the house, and we eat most meals together. I'm trying to join the MFP community more, although I track calories and fitness on another site. Would love to join in the conversation though!
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been following a plant based diet since January. Feel free to add me. :)
  • TreeHugger2013
    TreeHugger2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am doing the same thing and would love other vegan friends. I am basically the only person that is vegetarian in my group of friends so vegan is going to be even harder, but it is worth it. Feel free to add me! :smile:
  • nicoleaxe116
    nicoleaxe116 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    what foods are you concerned about?
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check out the Team Vegan and Happy Herbivore groups. Lots of help and support there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/63-team-vegan
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm pescatarian but I'm dairy and egg free, more than happy to help :)
  • AlanaSpindler
    AlanaSpindler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new to MFP, and 6 years vegan. I'm happy to help!

It's not hard (I went omni to vegan pretty much overnight), and there IS life after cheese. So if you're thinking about it, stop thinking and just do it. Start today.

I'm going to reccomend a couple of resources that were of immense help to me when I was a new vegan...
    Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In A Non-Vegan Word (book) by Bob and Jenna Torres.
    Vegetarian Food For Thought (podcast, free on iTunes) by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (Compassionate Cooks)
    CompassionateCooks.com
    Becoming Vegan (book) by Vesanto & Melina

Please feel free to friend me. :-)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I also love The Post-Punk Kitchen, all their books have taught me so much about how to bake and cook for a vegan diet...

http://www.theppk.com/books/

Their books are fun and inventive and now I can have cookies, pancakes and waffles :D

I even used their vegan gingerbread recipe, blew my tiny mind!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also trasitioning to veganism and can't find alternatives to absolutely everything but reading and learning as much as I can :)
    Good luck, and you can add me :)
  • peesfulworld
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been vegan since 2 Sept 2012 and have lost 12 lbs or around 6 kilos. I have found some alternatives to things and will share what I have learned in the coming days.
    What I have found with some of the alternatives is that you have to try them as they may change the flavor a bit. Also you may have to experiment with cooking as they may not create the same properties as in the case of egg substitutes where you need a binding capability.
    Please add me to your friends list.

More later:smile:
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I've been a vegan since January, and Raw Vegan since the end of March...

Check this out, this is why I went raw...

Ageless Woman
    Courtesy of WPTV News
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I recently went back to being vegan after falling off the wagon somewhat. And yup, need to drop some pounds!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The E2 Diet and The Vegan Slow-Cooker Cookbook are great books to help get on the vegan track!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm most definitely a vegetarian right now, but I've been at this veg. thing a very long time so I do swing from vegetarian back to vegan every now and then. So while I do currently eat eggs and the occasional dairy product (because I can get them from a couple of very good and compassionate local farm here) I also eat a ton of vegan meals. My suggestion (the one I always give lol) is buy the veganomicon cookbook, or anything by Isa. Read it cover to cover. I consider myself pretty well-read on the subject (having been at this for 25 years) and I still learned a lot from Isa. :) Good luck!
  • 1fitchic
    1fitchic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Just saw this so sorry for the delay in response. Mostly concerned about getting my protein in and getting rid of dairy. Cheese and frozen yogurts are my hang-ups, mostly.

This is in response to nicoleaxe116's post.
  • 1fitchic
    1fitchic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new to MFP, and 6 years vegan. I'm happy to help!

It's not hard (I went omni to vegan pretty much overnight), and there IS life after cheese. So if you're thinking about it, stop thinking and just do it. Start today.

I'm going to reccomend a couple of resources that were of immense help to me when I was a new vegan...
    Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In A Non-Vegan Word (book) by Bob and Jenna Torres.
    Vegetarian Food For Thought (podcast, free on iTunes) by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (Compassionate Cooks)
    CompassionateCooks.com
    Becoming Vegan (book) by Vesanto & Melina

Please feel free to friend me. :-)

Thank you!!!!!!!!