Arm Workouts for Ladies

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on which arm exercises I should be doing to get rid of the underarm jiggle? I've lost 80 lbs so far and have some lose skin/overall chubby arms and I have not been doing tons of weights, but want to start. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pushups!! These are the best. If you can't do one, start off doing them against the wall or table, then move to the floor and do them with your knees on the ground, then transition to the real thing. You will see a difference in your arms and your core.

All my life I could not do pushups, but at age 51 I'm doing them now and my arms have really changed.
  • natalie3t
    natalie3t Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great Advice!!!!!
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump...I'd love the advice too.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Shake weight or equivalent
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My best advice is my arms are the smallest when I use heavier weights.
    And do small amount of reps like 10-20 with 15lbs or something and then last rep as many as i can with a heavier weight.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Pushups, pullups, dips - these are all great body weight exercises that work a large number of muscles including the upper arms.
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Triceps kickbacks
    Upright Row
    Biceps Curl
    Overhead Press
    Lateral Raises
    "Wing Outs"

If you need more specifics from this amateur, send me a message.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    You can't target weight loss.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you want to get rid of the fat under your arm and get "michelle obama" arms then you must get leaner... notice i didnt say lose weight i said get leaner which means lower your % body fat and you will see your arms improve to your liking. you can't reduce fat in just one part of your body.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can't target weight loss.

But you CAN firm up your arms by the exercises others have listed. I began wt lifting 6 mths ago & can definitely see a big difference (I'm 56 & still have 30 more pounds to lose). The "New Rules for Lifting for Life" or other NRFL books have specific work outs and include pictures.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As part of my weights routine I do dumb bell chest press (33 pd DBs) and throw in some full push ups and 20 burpees for good measure. Heavy weights and press ups will tone up your shoulders and arms nicely.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What is a Shake weight?

Or did he mean to shake a weight?
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me doing the following:

Push ups
    Skull Crushers
    Triceps kickbacks
    Upright rows
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    tricep dips, ticep pulldowns, pushups, chest presses, bicep curls, bicep pullups, theres a ton!
  • JerseyPook
    Options
    Triceps kickbacks
    Upright Row
    Biceps Curl
    Overhead Press
    Lateral Raises
    "Wing Outs"

If you need more specifics from this amateur, send me a message.

This!!! I would add Tricep extensions to that list.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I do a variety of exercises and my arms have never looked better. For my triceps, I do dips, skull crushers, rope pushdowns, and tricep kickbacks. Pushups will definitely work multiple muscle groups, as they take a bit more balance and force your core to work, too.

Don't be afraid of doing the same exercises that the guys are doing. You won't get bulky, I promise!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I bought the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises which has *TONS* of strength training in it. Pretty much the entire book. If gives you gym exercises, free weights, and body weight exercises, depending on what your resources are. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is also supposed to be pretty good. But the single biggest (and easiest) you can do it push ups. Like someone else said, start with wall pushups, then move slowly down as you get better.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercise_demos.asp?exercise_type=upper

This is a link from Sparkpeople.com on various upper body exercises. The pictures move when you go to the page so you can actually see the intended movements instead of guessing. Quite a variety.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Chair or bench dips.....as many as you can do and do them often:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0326dy_-CzM

SKull Crushers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4ak9a6Ku0
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    What is a Shake weight?

Or did he mean to shake a weight?

It's a stupid weight that you shake. I'm pretty sure he was kidding.