Weight Lifters- When do you up your reps/weight????

Options
I used to lift when I was younger, and I have never had any injuries due to lifting. However, its been a while, and I have started back up within the last 3 weeks. My question is, when should I increase my weight so that I do not get any injuries? Should I do the same weight for a week at a time and then increase? Or should I wait longer? My goal is not to bulk up, I just want some tone and definition. The weights that I am on now are starting to get easier, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. An example of what I do on a typical day is as follows: (I vary the machines on a weekly basis)

- 30 min cardio
- rotary torso: 3 sets 20 reps, 30 lbs
- upright row: 3 sets, 10 reps, 50 lbs
- Overhead press: 3 sets, 10 reps, 30 lbs
- leg extensions: 3 sets, 10 reps, 70 lbs

Let me know what you guys typically do, any advice would be great!! Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Every single workout I up my weight. (unless I can't, then I do it next time)

you're missing squat, deadlift, and bench.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Typically you should increase your weight when you can do all the sets and reps and not 'feel the burn' on the last set and rep anymore. If they feel like they are easy and not giving you a challenge, increase the weight.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have just started and am starting small :) I will definitely get to the squats, those are awesome. I am mostly doing machine stuff now, haven't really been doing the free weight stuff yet. So every workout you increase weight? Wouldn't that lead to bulking up?? I don't want to put on too much weight with muscle, just trying to tone. How often do you lift? I am starting with 2 - 3 times a week.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I up them usually when I can manage around 6-8 reps of a particular weight.

For example:
    Bench, when I hit 6 reps I try and move up.
    Overhead press I move up on 6.
    Squats I move up when I get at least 3 sets of 6 reps (they're a little harder to move up on)
    Deadlifts I up them anywhere from 4-6 reps as that's the easiest exercise for me to move up on.

My main goal is strength. My secondary goal is muscle gain, but that's more achieved through my diet than my exercise.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have just started and am starting small :) I will definitely get to the squats, those are awesome. I am mostly doing machine stuff now, haven't really been doing the free weight stuff yet. So every workout you increase weight? Wouldn't that lead to bulking up?? I don't want to put on too much weight with muscle, just trying to tone. How often do you lift? I am starting with 2 - 3 times a week.

Excess calories lead to bulking up, not upping the weight. Upping the weight regularly will get you stronger, faster, but look at female Oly weightlifters and powerlifters (in the lower weight categories) and you will see that they have muscle but far from the amounts of female bodybuilders. Yet they move up in strength all the time as that's their focus, bodybuilders don't as they're more focused on muscle size.

The only time I put on muscle size is when I'm eating to "bulk up" and that involves 3000+ calories a day. Otherwise, I just get leaner, smaller, and stronger!

I lift approx 5x a week.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    You won't bulk up, I promise you. I lift heavy and I am far from bulky. You have to challenge your muscles to see definition so if you are reaching your final rep in every set without too much trouble - you are lifting too light.

I agree with the other poster, you should do squats, bench, and deads and try to increase your weight every session. I always try, but a lot of times I can't - especially with the isolation lifts (like curls).
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I lift 5 times a week as well.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 10 reps with everything already, it's past time. Try adding a 5lbs to each side of the bar on each exercise until you have to stop at 6 reps. Then start adding 2.5lbs per week.

Oh wait, we're talking machines? Well....better than nothing.....i guess. But same concept. You're already doing 10 reps and I bet you're stopping at 10, not *failing* at 10. Lower those pins and start adding weight.

Bonus tip: People (not just you) seriously need to stop worrying about "bulking up". Touching a heavy weight is not the same as rubbing the genie's bottle. You won't wake up the next morning with a neck and biceps too big for all your shirts. And even if you did all of a sudden morph into a superhero physique, it's not like you wouldn't be able to reverse the process by eating pizza and stopping lifting.

Double bonus tip: Men shouldn't use the word "tone".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

if you eat 500-1000 extra calories a day, workout much harder than you are now, take hormone therapy and steroids, you'll bulk up a little, yes.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I generally do pyramids when weight training:

First set light weight higher reps and work my way up to higher weight lower reps and back down. Sometimes I only do 3 sets of the exercise, but I still go up in weight for each set. When I weight train I do full body.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do StrongLifts 5x5 so I up every time I do the exercise. My routine looks like this:

Workout 1:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Workout 2:
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Deadlifts

I rotate my workouts each week, and lift 3 days a week. I increase my weight by 5lbs total each time for everything except deadlifts, which get increased by 10lbs each time so it stays above squats. If I fail to do a full five sets of five reps for anything three times I deload the weight by 10% and start again. Deadlifts are the only things that don't get five sets (only do one set of them). This does not count warmup sets.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

^^ this^^
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this. i frequently make use of the teeny 1.25 weight plates.

when i can't increase the weight i try to again 2 more workouts if i still cant then i drop down to 3reps and try again. if i still cant then i drop down a bit on weight and then restart back up
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Typically I work different body groups differently. For instance, I work compound movements (bench, squats, dead lifts) at a moderate to low rep count. I try to do 4 sets of 8-12 reps. I start with a lighter weight and try to hit 12 reps, up the weight and the rep count drops but I always push it and if I can do more, I increase the weight and add a set to it. Similarly, I work isolation movements (biceps, triceps, shoulders) at a higher rep count, usually 10-15 reps. I again start with a lower weight and higher rep, increasing the weight as I go and squeezing out as many reps as I can and if I top 15, up the weight and add a set. The difference between bulk and endurance is in the rep count (for me anyways) and not the weight.

Oh yeah, and I lift 5-7 days a week depending on my schedule. I do a combination of heavy days and high rep days.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options

Excess calories lead to bulking up, not upping the weight. Upping the weight regularly will get you stronger, faster, but look at female Oly weightlifters and powerlifters (in the lower weight categories) and you will see that they have muscle but far from the amounts of female bodybuilders. Yet they move up in strength all the time as that's their focus, bodybuilders don't as they're more focused on muscle size.

The only time I put on muscle size is when I'm eating to "bulk up" and that involves 3000+ calories a day. Otherwise, I just get leaner, smaller, and stronger!

I lift approx 5x a week.

I'm trying to start as well but can barely do my squats, etc with the 8 lb weights and can't even lift that 40 pd bar, much less do a bench press with one. So how do I get to that stage since there isn't a bar that weighs less than 40? I don't care if I bulk up a little bit. That's not a concern. My wrists and elbows and knees are so weak right now that I"m having trouble getting started, and it's frustrating!! Anyone that can help can friend me, message me, etc. Thanks! (and thanks to the original poster for this question. Those answers will help me as well.) :flowerforyou:
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself SON! .. Mark Rippetoe - Starting strength:
    cover.jpg
  • mommy2threePeas
    Options
    I just up my weight, not so much my reps. I do this only when I feel like I can push my body a little bit harder then what its repping out. I like to stay between 8-10 reps on legs heavy.. so If I can 12-14 I know its time to up my weight
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

It has been engrained in our heads that we will bulk up if we lift heavy......SO NOT TRUE!!! As a woman you don't have enough testosterone in your body to bulk up from lifting; you'd have to be on 'the juice' for that to happen. What makes one look bulky is still having a layer of fat over the muscle.

There is some great info and workouts in this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Best of Luck to you!!
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I lift approx 5x a week.

I'm trying to start as well but can barely do my squats, etc with the 8 lb weights and can't even lift that 40 pd bar, much less do a bench press with one. So how do I get to that stage since there isn't a bar that weighs less than 40? I don't care if I bulk up a little bit. That's not a concern. My wrists and elbows and knees are so weak right now that I"m having trouble getting started, and it's frustrating!! Anyone that can help can friend me, message me, etc. Thanks! (and thanks to the original poster for this question. Those answers will help me as well.) :flowerforyou:

Don't worry about using a bar, go for the dumbbells and the machines to get started. Building up your secondary muscle groups will help with joints and once you have the form down, the bar is an easy transition.
  • natalap
    Options
    If you don't frequently up your weights and challenge yourself in the weight room, you burn fewer calories and won't improve as your body becomes accustomed to one routine. Make sure you change the order of the exercises you do and the exercises themselves, and challenge yourself but focus on form so you don't injure yourself. Fewer reps (6ish) with higher weight increases strength but won't make you bulky or add to much volume and therefore stress on your body. Also, free weights tend to be better than machines since they recruit more muscles to help stabilize the body.

Lift heavy and focus on form! Do a few sets to failure periodically, and change it up and add some circuits! Muscle burns more calories than fat, and also takes up much less space, so lifting is invaluable when trying to tone up and lose weight!