eating more when you are sick?

Options
I have a head cold for the past 3 days and I have noticed my appetite is a lot higher than usual. I never feel hungry unless I am due for my normal meal but while being sick my stomach is constantly growling and wanting food. I have been drinking a lot more but I am ok with that part.

I ate an extra 335 calories yesterday. I am only on 1200 calories daily so being a little over 1500 I can live with but I would prefer not to go over. Since I am sick and my body is telling me to eat more I did. Has this happened to anyone else? Did it affect your weight loss once you werent sick anymore?

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I always feel very hungry when I have a cold. I don't know it you actually need more food when you're sick. You might -- it seems like your body's attempt to fight the cold might require extra energy, but I have no scientific source for that idea. I usually just remember the old line about "feed a cold, starve a fever" and assume it's normal.

In any case, I was sick in August and overate as a result. I lost around 4 pounds that month, rather than the 5 that I usually do. It might be attributable to that week, but it might not. Even if it was, one week means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Do what you need to do to feel better and try not to worry about a few days of higher calorie meals.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me, your body is working overtime to fight off a virus. It might need more calories to maintain that rate of fighting...
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. My appetite usually shuts down when I have a virus like that and I feel sick at the thought of eating. Though, to be fair I usually get full-blown flu once or twice a year, and a cold maybe every other or every third year, so I don't have a lot to go on for colds. I say listen to your body, within reason. If it's related to the cold and doesn't stick around, maybe you'll get one of those paradoxical weight drops after eating more for a few days. Sometimes that's the only way I lose weight, haha.