Military people and anyone else. What's the best prep

Options
So my husband is going into the Army with 18xray. So he will do basic then AIT then go to airborne and then like a training course for the green beret selection course. I'm not sure exactly what that's called or how long it is sorry. Then obviously to the selection course and if he makes it on to green beret training. He will be leaving this summer (June-ish) for basic. Because he is going to try for SF he has to take the Pft befor he goes to basic.
My question is: what's the best way to prepare for that kind of training? He is very athletic and in decent shape now. He could pass the PFT now but barely. His goal is to be in the best possible shape before basic so that he can worry mostly about the mental stuff. Yes he knows it's going to suck physically too.

Ps. Not trying to explaining everything because I think you don't know any of it. Just telling what I know and I don't know if all branches are the same or whatever. Also I am open to civilian answers as well. So no one get offended or something.

Thanks for any advice

Replies

• MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My husband is the Marine Corps. He runs and weight lifts EVERY SINGLE DAY... Army and Marines are a little different in standards for fitness I believe. But My husband has to run 3 miles, 20 pull ups and like 50 situps or something...and thats just the little PFT.

My husband says most people cant run the 3 miles straight into bootcamp, and they will start you off slowly and you'll b able to do it when the time comes... keeping it up after bootcamp n schools is the hard part.

Endurance in bootcamp is key.... because that will be tested all the time.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My husband did this before doing basic also.

Any 5k or 10k speed training program would be great for the running component. I know he did a lot of body-weight strength training work (tons of pushups, pullups, body weight squats, etc.) and jogged with a 50 lb pack on his back as well twice per week to get through the hikes they put him through during basic.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Work on pushups, situps, and pullups. Be able to max the pushups and situps and do a minimum of 6 pullups. Also be able to run 5 miles in less than 40 minutes. Walk a lot, with a backpack if he has one up to around 12 miles in under 3 hrs. If he can do that he won't have any problems physically.

U.S. Army (Retired) Infantry-Airborne-Ranger
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Run, run, and run...Also strength training and cardio. Learn to love working out if he is serious about the Green Beret program, I believe its a few years overall and very intense training, just physically. Buy a treadmill or learn to love running in all conditions. Only advice I have.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    my husband is also army....he was airborne ranger LRS(active) now hes combat engineer(reserves) iknow when hes getting ready for PT tests he runs about 1-2miles 3-4 times a week and on those days he also does sit ups and push ups and he does leg workouts as well.....as long as he just keeps working out and stays in shape he will be fine....i hope this helped
  • Npats69
    Npats69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate !! Constant water intake helps speed the metabolism, and his body will be using much more from the physical activity. Cut out Fatty and excessively salty foods, and run run run... Hills worked best for me.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children in the military...

The best way to prepare, is run, run more, and run more...have him increase his distance runs by no more than 10% each week to help prevent injury. Also filling a back pack with heavy objects and rucking with them...walk and/or run...

push ups, sit ups, pullups, swimming, all help with basic. He will need endurance and for the runs, speed, but the runs are shorter distance 2-3 miles in a specified amount of time

Have him workout not just in shorts and t-shirts but also fully clothed to get used to wearing clothes...

Basic will get him into the shape he needs to be in but if he can go into Basic with some confidence of being able to pass the PT test, that really helps
  • MyTime1207
    MyTime1207 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Being a USMC or in the Army are different but both have a strenuous course when it comes to Special Forces. I am a combat vet and went to Ranger School. He will develop the basics in boot camp but being disciplined and having plenty of endurance will be crucial if he wants to proceed in the Special Forces. I wish him the best and tell him thanks for protecting us.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-special-operations/army-green-beret-training

You can also google "special forces PFT training" or "green beret pft training"

There is also I believe a you tube video of a former History Channel program that followed people through SF selection, Q course and so on. I would highly recommend watching it.

I have a buddy who is former SOF (he is now a lead designer and spokesman for World of Tanks and lives int he Ukraine). He echoed the above- never, ever do the minimum and always try to do more. Instructors will notice the barely passing drag *kitten* and when it comes time for final selection those who constantly tried to excel (notice the word TRY - they would rather have you try and fail then do the minimum by and large) and the never give up attitude may be the decider.

He said one of the harder parts is the land navigation course. If you hubby doesnt know how to read a map, sight a compass, etc he may be in real trouble. Dont ever- EVER- go to sleep or try to hide duringt he land nav course. You will be found and put on the truck back.

He said never, ever quit unless you are unconcious. And if you do something stupid fess up too it- because if an instructor asks you a question he probably already knows the answer.

Good luck and god bless.

Thank him for his service and thank you for supporting him.

Mike B
    former 11-B
    A Co 1/187 INF (Rakkasans), 101st Airborne (Air Assault)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate !! Constant water intake helps speed the metabolism, and his body will be using much more from the physical activity. Cut out Fatty and excessively salty foods, and run run run... Hills worked best for me.

This! basically what my husband does. He runs a lot, lifts and workout EVERY SINGLE DAY. (well takes a rest day here and there) also cut out all the nasty, un-needed foods, candy, sugars, carbs, and up the protein level. GL!
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I found this a couple years ago when helping a friend prepare for basic training. This is meant for Navy Seal training so I imagine the requirements are similar with the exception of the swimming guidelines.

http://www.navysealteams.com/warning.htm

The actual training regimen is about halfway down the page...
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    As an Army mom and a Marine mom.
    Thank him for his choice in protecting my freedom....

Work hard, and when he can't do one more, try to do one more!!!
    It is physical and mental!!!
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Physical toughness, strength and endurance (cardio) are all important. Even more important though, in my humble opinion, is mental toughness. Some of the biggest, badest, most fit guys drop out of boot camp and SF training because they don't have the mental toughness to hang. I have seen it myself (in boot camp, FF academy and the LE academy) and heard about it from a few friends and colleagues who were SF. Tell him to prepare for the fact that it is going to SUCK sometimes, but to tough it out, knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for your support of him and thank him for serving. It is an honor to serve and something he will never forget!
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The army PFT is a 2 mile run and sit ups and push ups. He has to get a certain score BEFORE he goes to basic because of going into SF so basic won't prep him for it lol. He has a back pack and we were thinking of doing a good 10 mile ruck on Saturdays. and it's two whole years of training if you make it all the way through before you will be deployed.

We have watched a documentary called two weeks in hell. And it had all the stuff you said. He grew up hunting and tracking and stuff like that so he thinks he'll be ok at the land navigation stuff. That's why he is wanting to be in the best physical shape possible before he goes so he can focus on stuff like that easier.

And thanks so much for the advice and more so for the service and sacrifice !
  • HollyAus
    Options
    Physical toughness, strength and endurance (cardio) are all important. Even more important though, in my humble opinion, is mental toughness. Some of the biggest, badest, most fit guys drop out of boot camp and SF training because they don't have the mental toughness to hang. I have seen it myself (in boot camp, FF academy and the LE academy) and heard about it from a few friends and colleagues who were SF. Tell him to prepare for the fact that it is going to SUCK sometimes, but to tough it out, knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for your support of him and thank him for serving. It is an honor to serve and something he will never forget!

He is full expecting for it to suck ALL the time lol. And I completely agree that mentall toughness is more important
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Work on pushups, situps, and pullups. Be able to max the pushups and situps and do a minimum of 6 pullups. Also be able to run 5 miles in less than 40 minutes. Walk a lot, with a backpack if he has one up to around 12 miles in under 3 hrs. If he can do that he won't have any problems physically.

U.S. Army (Retired) Infantry-Airborne-Ranger

Very good advice here!

I would also add that the Army has a strong bias toward running. So make those two mile run times a priority. Just passing ain't going to cut it!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Running, push-ups, sit-ups, eating fast, not laughing when someone is yelling in your face, learning to wake up quickly and get ready in record time. AND if he's a tall guy or a short guy (more than an inch or two outside of average) he'll want practice either lengthening or shortening his stride for marching, depending. Having to work that out in boots is hell on the knees.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One other thing I forgot. He needs to be able to swim. He will have to pass a combat survival swim test at some point. If he is a good swimmer it will be easy; essentially you have to jump in deep water fully clothed with weapon and equipment. Then you have to take off all the equipment and swim about 25 yds to the other end of the pool. You also have to jump off the high dive with equipment and swim to the side of the pool. If you panic and have to be rescued or you drown then you fail the test.

Sometimes the test is in bad conditions like February in an outdoor pool.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Advice so far is good. My cousin is an Airborne Ranger. PT varies but expect to run 6 miles at a 6:30 pace 5-6 days a week. You, especially when new will be "smoked" that is 'initiated'. Be able to do 50+ pushups and 6+ pullups (strict form- be able to do 10) and 50+ situps (with someone holding your feet down) and this is just the minimum. They will also have you do ruck marches in fatigues and boots with 30-60 pound packs- and during Summer heat. Then they will throw in a lot of other variables like sandbag work, etc. Know how to do this hungry, tired, sleepy and with bugs eating you. So, preparation will be for this type of PT work. Realize also that this is just PT work. There's a ton of other physically, mentally, emotionally demanding stuff that begins after PT. (like jumps where they calculate your load weight to be just short of breaking your legs- you will be sore- but that is fun) Be prepared to do the work when you are injured, bruised hungry, thirsty and/or sick- no excuses. People around you will be puking, fainting, washing out, etc but YOU will not, etc. etc.... You will also see guys that can do more than you ever thought possible and they are usually your Sarge.

PS; not everything he needs will be provided. Expect to buy things, like good boots, running shoes, etc. to help make hell more livable.
  • HollyAus
    Options
    One other thing I forgot. He needs to be able to swim. He will have to pass a combat survival swim test at some point. If he is a good swimmer it will be easy; essentially you have to jump in deep water fully clothed with weapon and equipment. Then you have to take off all the equipment and swim about 25 yds to the other end of the pool. You also have to jump off the high dive with equipment and swim to the side of the pool. If you panic and have to be rescued or you drown then you fail the test.

Sometimes the test is in bad conditions like February in an outdoor pool.

I would hope they wouldn't let him drown :)

He took a scuba class and they had to do like 50 million laps and he has jumped off 60 foot cliffs so I think that part will be a little easier. But as with anything else, he has never done this in a high stress environment so hopefully he gets it done