ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS QUESTION

redheaddee
redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
So, I am watching Dr. Oz talk about artificial sweetners and metabolic syndrome: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/should-you-give-artificial-sweeteners?video=14981

My question is what about stevia? It is a natural sweetener, but would it cause the same effects? I am thinking perhaps I should switch to Domino light which is part stevia part cane sugar so my body have a bit of sugar to process with my morning coffee. Thoughts?

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I feel like I am t to myself. However, they did actuall recommnd stevia, so I answered my own question.
    :noway:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Dr. Oz isn't exactly a great source. I don't have time to watch the video, but I will share this:
    If you research sweeteners, you'll find a lot of internet sites and so-called experts blaming them for everything from cancer to athlete's foot.

However, there is yet to be clinical peer-reviewed studies that show harmful effects from Aspartame at the level it is consumed in food. Aspartame is aspartic acid - it's derived from protein.

Last I checked, something like 90+ countries have deemed it 'safe.'
  • He did say Steveia was ok (now). I've tried it and to me it tastes like licorice. I'd rather just not use anything.
  • DaddyM1
    DaddyM1 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't know about any of these claims, but I can tell you this from personal experience.

For months I had been dealing with gastrointestinal problems. I was always in some sort of discomfort. My family doctor suggested I may have IBS.

I went to see a gastroenterologist, and after a few minutes of describing a normal day, he suggested I not use artificial sweeteners AT ALL for a month and see what happens before we went any further.

All my symptoms went away. Maybe it's coincidence. My doctor didn't seem to think so. I'll never touch them again.

Ed.