need tips on running

Options
I had my daughter sign up for a program called girls on the run. I thought it was a good program because it helps with confidence and esteem for young girls. Right now they are training for a 5k run coming up in November. Lucky me, she picked me to be her partner, seeing how I signed her up for it, she had the last laugh of having me join too. I never ran before, I started Sunday, with a walk, jog a bit, walk, then a jog, not a long jog, but I did it. I need tips, even tips on what shoes are good for this. Thank you.

Replies

• fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, be careful running is addictive. LOL I like the Ease into 5K plan that you can get on your iphone. If you don't have an iphone the couch to 5K is a good program. I am currently in week 5 of the program it is hard.... Get fitted for a good pair of runnign shoes.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a free downloadable programme designed to get you up to running 5k safely, and is brilliant!

Personally I would also recommend that you try and get to a running shop to have your gait analysed and buy 'proper' running shoes, but that does rather depend upon your budget and whether you want to carry on running afterwards. (I did, and am completely hooked now, much to my astonishment!).

And a decent sportst bra is an absolute must.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yay!! This is exactly how I got into running, my daughter joined a run club and wanted me to train with her outside of school, next thing you know I was signed up for a half marathon LOL!

I have heard great things with the Couch 2 5k so I'd look there!! Have fun and happy running!! :)
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ok, now another question is when I do this, how do I add it in as exercise for mfp? walking jogging? training?
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yay!! This is exactly how I got into running, my daughter joined a run club and wanted me to train with her outside of school, next thing you know I was signed up for a half marathon LOL!

I have heard great things with the Couch 2 5k so I'd look there!! Have fun and happy running!! :)

So far I am checking it out n its an easy concept to get me started. My daughter doesnt want to do this, so her revenge on me. I am pushing exercise on her. lol Sneaky lil thing, but if it gets her to do it by me joining, by all means I will.
  • jmm774
    jmm774 Posts: 34
    Options
    Couch 2 5K worked like a miracle for me. I have never been a runner, never. I couldn't run for more than seconds, even as a kid. The program is great, it takes you really slow. It is still a challenge if you've never been a runner but it is totally doable. It feels better, I think, that it is challenging because you feel amazing when you finish each day. There were certain weeks I struggled with more, certain days I had to repeat but I kept at it and got it done.

Running shoes are really important, they make all the difference. I started with bad running shoes and had all sorts of aches and pains. I went to a running store and was fitted for shoes. They cost me about 100-150 dollars and are so worth it. I have Brooks Adrenalines and love them but you really need to go for yourself and have them find the right fit for you. They will measure your foot and your gait, etc.

Congratulations on your achievement and for just getting out there and giving it a go! Your daughter has done you a great favor, even if her intention was more of the revenge variety. ;-)
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is how I got started on running as well. I was asked to help coach the GOTR team at my school and I was addicted from there. Like the others have said....use CT5K, it works wonders. It is okay if you don't run the whole thing the first time and it is okay if your daughter doesn't either. The mottoa of GOTR is to keep moving forward.

I also agree with another post that said a good sports bra is a must. This is essential no matter was size you are. It will prevent chaffing, soreness, etc. It will also set a good example for your daughter and that you are serious. LOL.

Good luck. I ran my first 5K as GOTR in 2010 and now have complete one 1/2 marathon and getting ready to complete another.