boiled potato healthy or no?

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Have as many as you want within your calorie limit - baked, fried, mashed whatever. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
    Why would you encourage someone to eat fried potatoes? It's not all about calories, its about improving your health overall too.

A baked potato here and there is fine, but they're not the healthiest vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables should make up the majority of the veggies you eat for optimal nutrition. And DON'T fry them in oil like this guy recommended -__-

What deleterious effects would eating fried potatoes here and there in an otherwise mostly whole food and varied diet have? I roast mine in duck fat nom nom nom
    Um, heart disease? Excess empty calories? Loss of nutrients?

Do whatever you want, just don't try to perpetuate to others that its not harmful.

Here's a new idea! I actually just thought of it - MODERATION! You're welcome.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Have as many as you want within your calorie limit - baked, fried, mashed whatever. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
    Why would you encourage someone to eat fried potatoes? It's not all about calories, its about improving your health overall too.

A baked potato here and there is fine, but they're not the healthiest vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables should make up the majority of the veggies you eat for optimal nutrition. And DON'T fry them in oil like this guy recommended -__-

What deleterious effects would eating fried potatoes here and there in an otherwise mostly whole food and varied diet have? I roast mine in duck fat nom nom nom

Do whatever you want, just don't try to perpetuate to others that its not harmful.

Please substantiate that occasionally eating fried/roasted potatoes in an otherwise varied and micro nutrient diet will give you heart disease and will cause a loss of nutrients. And fat isn't important in one's diet?

But please continue to fear monger without substantiating anything
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm super confused by your response. There is nothing wrong with frying potatoes. I do mine in olive oil which has many many nutritious effects. I would MUCH rather eat real potatoes in real olive oil than some fake low-fat diet food.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    It's not that the potato itself is bad, but all the delicious butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, etc that's not so good for you. On the flip side, I do remember reading somewhere that having some fat with the potato actually helps make the potato lower on the Glycemic Index -causing less sugar spikes and keeping you full longer. many of micro-nutrients are in the skin are teh region immediately below the skin.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Please substantiate that occasionally eating fried/roasted potatoes in an otherwise varied and micro nutrient diet will give you heart disease and will cause a loss of nutrients. And fat isn't important in one's diet?

Eating animal fat is never beneficial :| The fats that the body needs are found in nuts, fatty vegetables like avocados, etc. Not cholesterol-laden animal fat (except maybe those from fish).

Let me re-word my statement. You can have a healthy diet DESPITE occasional consumption of those things (key word is occasional, 10% of one's diet max). But they never CONTRIBUTE to the healthiness of one's diet. So if you're advising someone who wants to improve their diet & overall health, promoting that stuff as if it's going to benefit them is just inaccurate and misleading.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Here's a new idea! I actually just thought of it - MODERATION! You're welcome.
    Unfortunately most people who are trying to lose weight have a very skewed view of what "moderation" even means. Hence why they're overweight in the first place.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Eating animal fat is never beneficial :| The fats that the body needs are found in nuts, fatty vegetables like avocados, etc. Not cholesterol-laden animal fat (except maybe those from fish).

Let me re-word my statement. You can have a healthy diet DESPITE occasional consumption of those things (key word is occasional, 10% of one's diet max). But they never CONTRIBUTE to the healthiness of one's diet. So if you're advising someone who wants to improve their diet & overall health, promoting that stuff as if it's going to benefit them is just inaccurate and misleading.

Are you sure eating animal fat is never beneficial? I asked for you to substantiate your ridiculous claims, so please do.

And if loss of nutrients is supposedly a deleterious effect, I sure hope you don't eat any whole grains...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Facepalm
  • susanforman
    susanforman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The guy who wrote "Fit for Life" (his name is on the tip of my tongue) says a Potato is the perfect food. It has potassium, Vitamins, carbs (which we DO need, particularly if you are exercising,....which we should be doing for weight loss). It is all natural and non-processed. OBVIOUSLY you have to eat them proportionately....and prepare them mostly baked, boiled...easy on the fats and salt. It's common sense really. And you will not die, I guarantee, if you are eating them fried IN MODERATION.....but you may stall your weight loss. No big shocker there.

Im on induction phase of Atkins so I am not eating potatoes for 14 days. After that I will probably have them once a week, roasted in a small amount of olive oil (good fat) with rosmary and garlic. YUM....i say if it comes out of the ground, its a good thing. ENJOY!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

I thought we put that cholesterol misconception to bed. Dietary cholesterol is not the same as systemic cholesterol.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749287-cholesterol-levels?hl=cholesterol#posts-11200667
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't mind having them every once in a while. Matter of fact, just yesterday I sauteed half a potato in with my mixed veggies! Its a way to get the potato fix and with half the calories. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Even as a Paleo, I've been known to have a potato here and there, usually cooking them in bacon fat. I have to try the duck fat way as suggested by Acg

Yes, fried in duck fat sounds yummy!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It's not that the potato itself is bad, but all the delicious butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, etc that's not so good for you. On the flip side, I do remember reading somewhere that having some fat with the potato actually helps make the potato lower on the Glycemic Index -causing less sugar spikes and keeping you full longer. many of micro-nutrients are in the skin are teh region immediately below the skin.

If you are Glycemic-Index watching, then eat them cold. Seriously, cold potatoes, like potato salad, will be much slower to digest than hot ones fresh from the pan/oven.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Are you sure eating animal fat is never beneficial? I asked for you to substantiate your ridiculous claims, so please do.

And if loss of nutrients is supposedly a deleterious effect, I sure hope you don't eat any whole grains...

I would love to see proof that animal fat is unhealthy. And I'd bet a dollar that there are studies that contradict any that make that claim.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    everyone talks about how much starch it has but is it really bad to have just one?

Not it's not bad at all. Potatoes are fine.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Keep the skin on. Try baking it? It loses less nutrients than if you boiled it.

Starch is fine.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Not all fats are bad, you know.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Not all fats are bad, you know.

There you go with that common sense again! :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    everyone talks about how much starch it has but is it really bad to have just one?

Look up potatoes and all the great vitamins they have, plus they're high in potassium! Unless you have a medical condition or are for some reason very sensitive to carbs, eat your potato!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Look up potatoes and all the great vitamins they have, plus they're high in potassium! Unless you have a medical condition or are for some reason very sensitive to carbs, eat your potato!

603317_277315432383635_1406910192_n.jpg

Potato-Vampires-350x518.jpg