Ziploc omlet

Options

Replies

• ccounts
    ccounts Posts: 57
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea, but I share others' fear of boiling in plastic, even freezer plastic. Omelets won't stick to the pan if you let them cook undisturbed until they slide independently when you lightly shake the pan. Also, I cover my omelet so the top can cook, too. But this sounds like a great way to make a bunch of omelets at one time, if it's safe.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I have sent Ziploc an email to ask if it is safe for not. I will let you all know what they say.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Found this article: http://www.chewonthatblog.com/2008/12/29/ziploc-omeletes/

Recommends using Ziploc Zip-n-Steam in the microwave instead. Sounds good to me!
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Saving :happy:
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know if this works with Egg Beaters?
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    saving
  • ltlhmom
    Options
    So here is a copy of the email I got from Ziploc today:

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Regarding your inquiry, Ziploc® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any Ziploc® brand bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. Our bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Denise

Consumer Relationship Center
    SC Johnson, A Family Company
    Toll Free Number: 1-800-558-5252
    www.scjbrands.com

Reference Number: 014720323A
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    So here is a copy of the email I got from Ziploc today:

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Regarding your inquiry, Ziploc® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any Ziploc® brand bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. Our bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Denise

Consumer Relationship Center
    SC Johnson, A Family Company
    Toll Free Number: 1-800-558-5252
    www.scjbrands.com

Reference Number: 014720323A

It's interesting that she says ANY Ziploc brand bags, because they sell those steamer bags and those are supposed to be made for the microwave.

There are even directions on the bag for making eggs.
  • ltlhmom
    Options
    I think she is saying filling them with boiling water as the might melt. How do the Ziploc steam bags work? I have the Glad ones they don't have eggs on there. I will have to check the Ziploc microwave steam bags out.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I think she is saying filling them with boiling water as the might melt. How do the Ziploc steam bags work? I have the Glad ones they don't have eggs on there. I will have to check the Ziploc microwave steam bags out.

The Ziploc ones work the same as the Glad ones.

The egg directions aren't on the actual bag, but there is an insert that comes with the bags that has some recipes on it, one being a Western omelet.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think we'll try this next weekend!
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've made scrambled eggs in the zip and steam bags and they are yummy.
  • Adam13523
    Options
    LISA - im pretty sure we dd this last new years at mark and jennys
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Ooo, you're right! I forgot! *smacking her forehead*
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

Ooo, you're right! I forgot! *smacking her forehead*

Yep, we did and it was good. Hope we don't die from the plastic. :wink:
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    AWESOME idea! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump, i'm not an egg eater, but this sounds easy. heck, you add enough veggies and salsa and anything's good!! lol 8-)