Drinking water this winter is a problem

Options
I drink a lot of water during the summer, spring and fall. I have not had a carbonated drink in years so drinking water is not a problem for me......until I get cold. During winter, I drink a ridiculous amount of hot tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. If I use sugar, I only use splenda and I buy the no sugar hot chocolate. I am aware this is not good as I am drinking a lot of caffine. Does anybody have any good ideas as to how to drink the 8 glasses of water a day for a cold-nature individual? Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    My wife's cousin drinks a lot of just hot water, flavored with a slice of lemon. Might be worth a try.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i drink boiled water (once its cooled a little:laugh: ) isnt to bad really
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water during the summer, spring and fall. I have not had a carbonated drink in years so drinking water is not a problem for me......until I get cold. During winter, I drink a ridiculous amount of hot tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. If I use sugar, I only use splenda and I buy the no sugar hot chocolate. I am aware this is not good as I am drinking a lot of caffine. Does anybody have any good ideas as to how to drink the 8 glasses of water a day for a cold-nature individual? Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

this is me! it makes me colder if i drink cold water
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas. It's essentially flavoured water, but it's actually good for you.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My wife's cousin drinks a lot of just hot water, flavored with a slice of lemon. Might be worth a try.

this! or hot tea?
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What about herbal tea? If you get something awesome, you won't need any sweetener.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Decaf tea
    Warm water with lemon
    Decaf coffee
    Instead of buying hot cocoa mix, make your own (it is very simple, and then you can control the sugar or not add sugar but instead splenda or whatever your sweetener of choice is)

I enjoy making my own hot cocoa because you can make it different flavors (cinnamon is a favorite of mine)
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    I also make the water very warm in the cooler monthes and I add flavorings to help.
    seems to keep me warm and full
  • JoniM205
    Options
    I'm the same way! Drink way more when it's warm out. Drinking warm water is the key!
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I am under the belief that as long as the water is in front of me and accessable, I am going to drink it....but I agree with the herbal tea. Or peppermint tea-- tis the season?
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do warm water with lemon also instead of coffee or tea.
  • Yoshima
    Yoshima Posts: 58
    Options
    Herbal tea? It's caffeine free. My favorite is hibiscus.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I do warm water with lemon, or lots of herbal teas. Raspberry/Cranberry Zinger by Celestial seasonings is the BEST! The flavor is very zippy!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of green tea. It has caffeine, but not much, amd is actually very good for you. Hot water with lemon and honey is nice too. And liquorice tea is lovely - and very good for the digestion. As is hot water with a couple of drops of peppermint oil.
  • TinyLittleOne
    Options
    When you ingest something cold, like ice water, your body warms you up. I only know that because of researching why you burn that slight amount of calories drinking ice cold drinks. I know it feels like it makes you colder, and of course hot warm drinks are amazing in the cold, but a cold drink is not making you cold, your warming yourself up. I don't know, just knowing that would be enough to motivate me to continue to drink my water.
  • marthajudge
    Options
    When my sister was at boot camp in the Navy, part of their reguiem was to drink a cup of hot water and lemon every morning. She swore it made everything in her body more regular. I drink a little cider vinegar with lemon and a splenda before bed and I seem to get a good nights sleep from this...(PS. I don't sleep well without it)
    Good luck
  • skinnynerd
    Options
    I drink my water at warm temperature in the winter. I just don't put it in the fridge.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Gah, warm water??? I think I would puke. Honestly for me, fall makes my allergies act up and makes my throat hurt, so I drink 3 or 4 cups of hot tea a day. I sweeten with Splenda and I drink regular tea, not decaf... maybe I should switch. I am still usually able to get at least some water in. I have actually started to crave it. Yesterday we were not home all day. I came and filled my big cup up twice in less than an hour I was so thirsty.

Also I agree with everyone about looking for herbal teas. There are some good ones out therre. Chammomile would be good in the evenings before bed. Echanachiea (sp?) is supposed to help boost your immune system during cold and flu season. Peppermint might be soothing. There are also some herbal tea bags infused with fruit flavoring, not sure if they are caloric or not though.
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like to drink herbal tea too but if you need to mix it up, you might try warming non/lowfat milk and adding 5-7 drops of chocolate flavored stevia (I like the "Better Stevia" brand best).
  • christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, you might not like your water at room temperature, but if you don't mind, drink it at room temperature instead of ice cold...