Very discouraged.

Options
2»

Replies

• ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think my problem has a lot to do with retaining water. I have a lot of sodium in my diet. I do not drink as much water as I should. I'm going to try drinking a lot more to flush out my system.
  • JustDanceJude
    JustDanceJude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know, but don't be too discouraged... My weight goes up down too. Who knows why? I've decided to manage this by recording my weight only at the next pound below the one I was at before, and ignoring little fluctuations in between. In reality, it's not a perfect line graph, but I'm happy if the TREND is downwards. I'm sure you'll get there. x
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Probably just fat turning into muscle. Make sure you record your body measurments as you may be losing inches rather than pounds. Add 5-10 mins onto your exercise routine if your worried too :)
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My guess is water weight. Either from increase in sodium intake or TOM.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    it doesnt mean anything at all... keep going.

Hmm, I thought it meant she should look in the mirror to see her new muscles and take measurements to see the inches lost in certain areas.

As for the OP, crazy as it sounds but drinking more water will reduce the water retention.

"As for “balancing” the sodium, drinking more water can help prevent water retention due to the high sodium diet. (Ironic, but true.) How much water it takes depends on all kinds of variables: your activity level, the temperature and humidity of your environment, and so on. As a general rule, if you are urinating several times a day and your urine is pale in color, you are adequately hydrated. Keep in mind, however, that certain drugs and vitamin supplements can color the urine with higher sodium intake. - Monica Reinagel, MS, LDN on December 13, 2011
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    it doesnt mean anything at all... keep going.

Hmm, I thought it meant she should look in the mirror to see her new muscles and take measurements to see the inches lost in certain areas.

As for the OP, crazy as it sounds but drinking more water will reduce the water retention.

"As for “balancing” the sodium, drinking more water can help prevent water retention due to the high sodium diet. (Ironic, but true.) How much water it takes depends on all kinds of variables: your activity level, the temperature and humidity of your environment, and so on. As a general rule, if you are urinating several times a day and your urine is pale in color, you are adequately hydrated. Keep in mind, however, that certain drugs and vitamin supplements can color the urine with higher sodium intake. - Monica Reinagel, MS, LDN on December 13, 2011

Im really tired of having the words I choose to share declared as not enough when I KNOW other people will fill in the gaps. Sometimes the people posting questions should take the time to understand, learn for themselves and search for their own answers before showing up and hoping that everyone else does the work for them, which is how too many people end up here in the first place. So I try to just let them know, hey- big picture, its ok - go learn a little more about it :)

it DOESNT mean anything. It WONT even be here next week. We are mostly made of water and all kinds of squishy wet gooey bits all crammed inside a membrane wrapped around a frame. We put all kinds of stuff inside of it. Its gross but its going to fluctuate. Its about how much progress you make in a month, not how much your body is altered from yesterday when you've done more, eaten and moved and slept and peed/not peed since then.

it truly doesnt mean anything good or bad.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Plateau - You probably just need to switch things up - don't get too caught in a routine. Sometimes eating more calories for a few days will actually trick your body into action. You're still doing great - don't lose focus.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would only add: make sure your foods are good, clean, healthy and real. Not from boxes or packages or cans. Lots of hidden sodium and other junk that slows down weight loss.
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just got off of a plateau, or what I believe was one... I was stuck at 27 lbs lost for almost 3 weeks... I was getting very frustrated and just cranky in general because of it. I used to put myself down and think I hadn't been trying btu this time I had to keep telling myself that wasn't true. I actually had to say to myself out loud "Self, you are NOT giving up this time!". I just kept at it and one day got up, weighed in, and I was down 31 lbs.... Any time I had hit this spot before I jsut gave up and went back to old habits... Please don't give up as this is temporary and it will continue going down! :) If it is to.m... those are evil for water retention, I cam 'magically' gain and lose 3-6 lbs for a week-week and a half..... Just drink some more water, shake up your workout routine a bit and try not to look at those numbers for at least a week...Good luck to you and keep at it, you're doing great! :)
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Im really tired of having the words I choose to share declared as not enough when I KNOW other people will fill in the gaps.

Yikes...I really should re-think my quote usage more. It never dawned on me that quoting could be perceived that way. Lo siento.

Silly me was happy that my first thought was to forget about the scale and to look for other progress.

<<<<<<<<
    Newbie still learning though I hope to continue learning for the rest of my life and being a better me.