Are you kidding me?

jcompton3821
jcompton3821 Posts: 109
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I just checked the calorie count on sparkpeoplerecipes.com on the Diet Coke Cupcakes and it said they were 7.1 calorie each!!! Of course that swith no icing....but could that be right???????????????? :love:

1 pkg dry devils food super moist cake mix 170 calories
1 12 oz. diet coke 0 calories

170 divided by 24 = 7.1

That's according to them!!!

Replies

• Oh how that would be absolute heaven if that were true. I'm betting it is 170 per serving. The cake mix would likely say "12 servings per box" or something like that.

I would seriously buy stock in any company that could make a 7 calorie cupcake :D
  • Ok...you were right...but I looked on the box and I put in 43 grams for the cake mix...which is for 1/2 the package...well of course I used the whole package so I went back and did for 86 grams of devils food cake mix and one diet coke and it's 14.2 calories!!! I ate one so if that's wrong hurry and tell me before I eat another!!!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    I looked up some common devils food cake mixes--i think the 170 calorie is PER SERVING (1/12th of the package)

Even the reduced sugar one had 150 calories per serving. Of course, if you made 24 cupcakes it would come out to 75 calories per cupcake.

I found another one on sparkpeople that had 180.5 calories per serving. It was called the DIet Pop Cake Recipe

Basically, it would be just the calories in the mix divided by however many servings you got out of it!

Hope this helps!:smile:
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    AWESOME! That's the best news I've had all day. A way to get my sweet fix without blowing it. Thanks for the info! :happy:
  • Well I feel like an idiot!!! But 75 is better than the 91 I just registered in my food diary!!! UGH!! So dissappointing!!! I knew it was to good to be true!! :grumble:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Whoa! What is a diet coke cupcake? I've never heard of that before.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    damn I want cupcakes now lol
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Whoa! What is a diet coke cupcake? I've never heard of that before.

Just use a boxed cake mix (don't add the eggs,oil, or whatever) and one can of whatever diet soda you want...and bake as you normally would.
    I've never tried these though...just what I've heard.
  • pmjsmom
    More ideas (from WW)

orange cake /diet Mountain Dew
    cherry chip cake / A& W diet Cream soda
    diet lemon + lemon;
    angel or yellow cake/orange diet pop
    diet peach with white cake
    spice cake/ diet lemon-lime pop
    diet ginger ale + white
    diet cherry sodas in chocolate cake
    Diet cola + devils food or chocolate mix
    diet vanilla coke in chocolate cake
    devils food cake with diet Vanilla coke
    diet root beer with chocolate cake
    diet cherry coke with chocolate cake
    marble cake + diet cream soda
    diet lemon lime soda + strawberry cake
    etc…the possibilities are only limited by your imagination…mmmmm

Think I might make one of these combos for my birthday (not until March) or Valentines Day.
  • maybe this is a silly question but isn't the calories per serving on a cake box as if the cake were completely made and served? So if you take out calories from eggs, oil and whatever you get the true calories of the mix. That makes it even better with a diet zero calorie soda. Doesn't it?
  • pmjsmom
    maybe this is a silly question but isn't the calories per serving on a cake box as if the cake were completely made and served? So if you take out calories from eggs, oil and whatever you get the true calories of the mix. That makes it even better with a diet zero calorie soda. Doesn't it?

Not a silly question at all! In fact, its a good one! I'll have to check a box next time I'm at the store--some items (don't know if this applies to cake mixes or not) give 2 listings--one prepared and one as is. I was going by the nutrition facts I could find online as I don't have any cake mixes in the pantry right now. Anyone else have some info?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Ok... I just went to my cupboard and looked. My mix is vanilla, but same idea. Just the box mix is 170 calories per serving. Multiply that by the 12 servings it says it makes equals 2040 calories. She said she made cupcakes, 24 I'm guessing, or maybe she said... So 2040 divided by 24 servings is 85 calories per cupcake with no frosting.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    maybe this is a silly question but isn't the calories per serving on a cake box as if the cake were completely made and served? So if you take out calories from eggs, oil and whatever you get the true calories of the mix. That makes it even better with a diet zero calorie soda. Doesn't it?

Not a silly question at all! In fact, its a good one! I'll have to check a box next time I'm at the store--some items (don't know if this applies to cake mixes or not) give 2 listings--one prepared and one as is. I was going by the nutrition facts I could find online as I don't have any cake mixes in the pantry right now. Anyone else have some info?

Yes, the box should give you two different nutrition pannels (sometimes 3 if there is a low cal version listed as well).
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    I'm so going to make these today.
  • how much diet soda do you put in?
  • how much diet soda do you put in?
  • pmjsmom
    how much diet soda do you put in?

I've never made them but the recipes I've found say 10 to 12 ounces.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    how much diet soda do you put in?

One can. I made a chocolate cake mix with diet coke, and it tasted horrible- had a chemical taste to it, but I have very sensitive taste buds. A lot of people love it.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    You can use 12 oz of seltzer water too. For frosting you can get fat free cool whip, two packages of sugar free pudding and two cups of milk. Mix together. I don't remember that the calorie count is.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Oh my... my mouth is watering. Never ever heard of this and I am running out to the store right now to get diet cherry coke and chocolate cake mix! You all are awesome.
This discussion has been closed.