I am a QUITTER and I LOVE IT!

Options
This is just a message to say that I am a non-smoker, heart and soul, as of Tuesday last week, and officially for the first time since I was 13. I feel it inside me that I detest cigarettes, and I have never felt like this during the last times I have tried to quit. I have no interest in cigarettes, and I am loving myself right now! Post if you feel the same!

Replies

• phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I quit in March of this year....never felt better!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: CONGRATULATIONS!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I'm a quitter as of 6 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did - now I'm one of 'those' ex-smokers who cannot abide the smell!

Remember this feeling if any nasty cravings appear!
  • aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be careful, the hardest part of this is yet to come. I'm at almost 3 years and still it's a struggle some days. Especially, the weight that won't come off since quitting. Congrats to you! It is such a huge accomplishment!!!
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am going on 2 years (in April) I have recently started running and I KNOW I could have never worked out the way I do now if I was still a smoker. I do Zumba 2 days a week and run 3-4 days a week. I LOVE my new self.
    WTG!!!!!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I am the true hypocrite. I hate the smell of cigarettes....I smoked for 24 years and quit 2 years and 3 months ago. I get aggravated at people that smoke close to entrances of stores, at work on the front deck and you get to walk through the wall of smoke. I do get a craving every now and then and then I think about how much I despise the smell now.....

Keep up the good work, you have this beat. Welcome to the non-smoker family.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I quit as of 6 hours ago. I am on the patch and Wellbutrin. I am determined that this will be the final time that I am a quitter. So far no cravings what so ever....Thanks for the help Josh.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :drinker:
  • gpteran
    gpteran Posts: 37
    Options
    Good for you and congrats!
  • _bk_
    _bk_ Posts: 3
    Options
    I've quit 5 weeks ago in a cold turkey way.
    I just decided to stop and I haven't had any problems or real desires since.
    I can already feel my energy level going up and my lungs getting clean.
    I didn't smoke for a long time, although 6 years is still really bad, but I think anyone can stop smoking just by themselves and without any patches or books or whatever.
    You started, just stop ;)
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I quit 15 months ago today. I had quit before but always went back. This time it's for keeps! I can't even imagine lighting up now. Congrats!
  • shadoewz
    Options
    Congratz!! I quit September 17th 2011.
  • cgirlygirl
    Options
    This is so amazing! Congratulations!
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In december I'll have my 10 years of cigarette free life. Good luck to you all. It's a struggle in the beginning, but life is so much better afterwards :-)
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a very hard addiction to kick. I stopped in 1986, after more than a few failed attempts. Luckily, now my only "dream" about cigarettes is more a nightmare, where I view myself from afar smoking and am horrified.
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your quit! I quit on January 22, 2012 at 11:30am. Although I still struggle with the occassional craving, I couldn't be happier that I quit. I feel so much better! I even convinced my brother to quit smoking recently. Also, I don't know about any of you other quitters, but I had no clue that I smelled so horrible until I quit! Congrats to all of you other quitters! :drinker:
  • gingah73
    Options
    way to go, Josh!! (and the rest of you!) Congratulations on not smelling like a dirty ashtray anymore! :drinker:

I use to look at this website daily when I first quit, to remind me of the benefits and help keep me on track. Hope you find it useful! http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

This Saturday will be my 6 month anniversary and I, too, have become one of "those" ex-smokers. Never thought that would be me, didn't happen during previous quit attempts, but maybe that's part of the difference this time around. I just can't stand to be around or smell the smoke anymore, it literally chokes me now.

I remember using the excuse that I couldn't quit bcause I was already obese and couldn't afford to gain more weight. The realization hadn't set in that I'd been obese the entire 20+ years I'd smoked, and the smoking didn't change that. It actually hindered weight loss because I was tired all the time from oxygen deprivation, on top of obesity. It's a whole new world, now!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Off and on for more than half my life. Currently off. Congrats to you !!! :drinker:
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    In december I'll have my 10 years of cigarette free life. Good luck to you all. It's a struggle in the beginning, but life is so much better afterwards :-)

What do you have planned for that anniversary? Wow....I cannot wait to get to that point. I think that after my 31st day, I am going to celebrate in some way. Go buy a hooker or something lol. Or maybe, Hometown.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never celebrated this anniversary but I quit almost 26 years ago.
  • whynotnana
    whynotnana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quit in May and so far I don't miss it. I have been smoking since I was 16 years old and stopped once for 1 year and went back. I am now 70 and hope this is it!! I have put on 12 lbs since and now that is starting to bother me and why I am back with MFP. Good Luck to you and keep it up.