reached my weight goal, now need to tone up!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    look into a class like bodypump at your gym... classes like that are great for toning... after you get adjusted to it try taking it 3 days a week.

lots of lean proteins and fibrous carbs will burn the fat away from the trouble areas

that's a cardio workout primarily and won't do much for building muscle.

bodypump isnt cardio it is a lifting class that focuses on light weight with lots of reps... the class is an hour long and you target every part of your body chest biceps triceps back and legs... it is a very good workout i highly recommend it.

light weights and lots of reps = cardio. sorry.

Exactly. Doing endless reps with light weights isn't going to get you very far.
    Stop buying into what all the girly fitness magazines say.

^^ This! I fell for those girly magazines too until I discovered HEAVY LIFTING!

OP, I highly recommend heavy lifting for body toning. Check out new rules of lifting for women or Body for Life! And 30 min a day is plenty to get a good workout in.

first i am not a girl

second i can bench press well over 300lbs so lifting heavy is not an issue

the person that started this thread says she wants to tone her body which means she wants longer leaner muscles so lifting heavy 3 4 or 5 days a week is not going to get her there.

if she was trying to lose more weight then yes lifting heavier weights along with her cardio routine would keep her from looking all saggy like most of those biggest loser contestants but that is not her goal.

There is no such thing as 'leaner muscle' unless you mean smaller muscles. The OP said she wanted to build lean muscle, which usually means that she wants to get definition. The best way to build muscle while remaining lean, is to lift heavy weight. As she has not been lifting she can probably take advantage of 'newbie' gains and eat at at maintenance or even a slight deficit to ensure she does not gain fat and therefore remain/get lean.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    look into a class like bodypump at your gym... classes like that are great for toning... after you get adjusted to it try taking it 3 days a week.

lots of lean proteins and fibrous carbs will burn the fat away from the trouble areas

bodypump isnt cardio it is a lifting class that focuses on light weight with lots of reps... the class is an hour long and you target every part of your body chest biceps triceps back and legs... it is a very good workout i highly recommend it.

You will not gain muscle mass doing that type of weight training. You're either a troll or inexperienced to serious weight training.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

OP, I highly recommend heavy lifting for body toning. Check out new rules of lifting for women or Body for Life! And 30 min a day is plenty to get a good workout in.

first i am not a girl

the person that started this thread says she wants to tone her body which means she wants longer leaner muscles so lifting heavy 3 4 or 5 days a week is not going to get her there.

if she was trying to lose more weight then yes lifting heavier weights along with her cardio routine would keep her from looking all saggy like most of those biggest loser contestants but that is not her goal.

third--you're downright wrong. muscular endurance does not = "leaner muscles" --how will lifting 3, 4, 5 days a week NOT allow her to build a shapely and strong/fit body?
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

first i am not a girl

Lifting heavy won't get her there? Why because body pump produces long leaner muscles but heavy lifting produces shorter fatty muscles?
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

first i am not a girl

Lifting heavy won't get her there? Why because body pump produces long leaner muscles but heavy lifting produces shorter fatty muscles?

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

first i am not a girl

doing the same exercises for 3 sets of 10 reps day in an day out can get very boring... try new things and switch up your routine.

bodypump is a great workout many men and women no matter how strong they think they are cant make it through the class
    Options

first i am not a girl

doing the same exercises for 3 sets of 10 reps day in an day out can get very boring... try new things and switch up your routine.

bodypump is a great workout many men and women no matter how strong they think they are cant make it through the class

lots of men and women can also NOT squat their body weight, deadlift their body weight, etc. What's your point? Endurance has nothing to do with whether/not you have a saggy *kitten*, cellulite ridden thighs, or a soft stomach. I'd rather lift heavy and improve the aforementioned markers than lift 5 pounds 204 times.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Doesn't take long, it's a good workout - and after just 2 weeks of doing it I feel good results. The book is great - the author has a great sense of humor and explains things in a very easy to understand way instead of assuming you know all of the stuff he is talking about. Hope that helps :).
  • Maggies90
    Maggies90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    BUMP good info in here!
  • amann1976
    Options

first i am not a girl

lots of men and women can also NOT squat their body weight, deadlift their body weight, etc. What's your point? Endurance has nothing to do with whether/not you have a saggy *kitten*, cellulite ridden thighs, or a soft stomach. I'd rather lift heavy and improve the aforementioned markers than lift 5 pounds 204 times.

sorry to tell you lifting weights no doing cardio will rid your body of cellulite on the thighs, and a soft flabby stomach... all those things come from eating correctly...
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

You're ridiculous. Comparing heavy strength to an endurance training class is like expecting a sprinter to outlast a marathon runner. Who cares if you can bench over 300 lbs. That doesn't impress me. How much do you weigh? What's your lift to body weight ratio?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

With lifting heavy, you increase the weight quite regularly, therefore the same old exercises never get boring (for me anyway!)

As much as I quite like bodypump, and it has it's place, I do think that it is mainly cardio. There is no such thing as "longer, lean muscle" as opposed to what? Bulkier, fattier muscle? Muscle is muscle and the length is pre-determined (it can't be changed!) There is no really why this person cannot tone up by heavy lifting 3,4,5 times a week, as long as her diet is sound. I did it. Plenty of others I know did it.

I agree with your second point. I'd like to think that I'm fairly strong in heavy weights / low reps. But some things in bodypump I could barely do at all! Yet, endurance lifting (bodypump) and lifting for overall strength or power are 2 completely separate things!!
    Options

first i am not a girl

sorry to tell you lifting weights no doing cardio will rid your body of cellulite on the thighs, and a soft flabby stomach... all those things come from eating correctly...

wrong--so less food = a hard/defined stomach and less cellulite? I think not. Have you seen SKINNY FAT people? Yes, eating "correctly" will help but it can only do so much. Without muscular development you won't look good, period.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

BS, quit posting already, since you have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously have never come across any swimmers. I have several friends that are swimmers, don't bother with weight training at all, eat fast food and anything and everything they want. Yet have less than 8% body fat and six packs like you wouldn't believe.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy got me "lean".
  • amann1976
    Options

You will not gain muscle mass doing that type of weight training. You're either a troll or inexperienced to serious weight training.

she doesnt want to gain mass... lifting weights wont gain you mass either btw... she would have eat more if she wanted to put on mass
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

she doesnt want to gain mass... lifting weights wont gain you mass either btw... she would have eat more if she wanted to put on mass

OP wants to gain lean muscle. How is she supposed to gain lean muscle without gaining mass? Are you trying to tell me that lean muscle has no mass?
  • amann1976
    Options

no eating right and cardio got you lean... lifting heavy kept you from sagging and having excess skin
  • amann1976
    Options

OP wants to gain lean muscle. How is she supposed to gain lean muscle without gaining mass? Are you trying to tell me that lean muscle has no mass?

the op wants to tone up what she has... she said she has reached her goal weight now she just wants to tone things up... could mean she needs to lowers her body fat a little more of she could just want to tighten up a few areas but i doubt she wants to pack on anymore mass whether it be fat or muscle...
    Options

no eating right and cardio got you lean... lifting heavy kept you from sagging and having excess skin

i love how you're telling someone else what got them lean. SMH. give it a rest. You do not know what you're talking about.