NO, I'm not pregnant, but thanks for asking!

Options

Replies

• bellydancer124
    Options
    As Dave Barry (allegedly) said: "You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment."
  • deedee303z
    Options
    When I was young and slim and fit (all muscle, no fat or flab)--I would get asked if I was pregnant a lot. I never could figure it out. Now that I'm older than dirt they just stick to asking why not!
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I had this happen with a coworker when i first started my nursing job about two years ago. She came up and went "Oh, when is baby coming!" and proceeded to rub my belly. Half mortified I smiled and responded with "No, but weve been trying alot lately, maybe something got pushed up out of place" and proceeded to try and smooth my belly. She walked away mortified and I smiled. Divorced now so dont have that excuse, but man that was worth the look on her face :)
  • cynam
    cynam Posts: 22
    Options
    I've been asked this, too. I felt so embarassed! It's a horrible feeling but, I also felt bad for the person who asked me. She was older and was a very nice lady. She had a horrific look on her face and I could tell she felt horrible as well. And, I was bloated that week... :/ I just want you to know, you are not alone. I know it doesn't make you feel better, but we can get through this! Thanks for sharing....
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Not sure this will make you feel better or not but this happened to my ex-wife. She had a birthday party planned it was the first one for her in many years and the day before her birthday everyone cancalled and she was really hurt so on her birthday I took her out and was trying to cheer her up. We went to build a bear and she built a lamb as we were almost ready to check out...another customer looked at my ex wife and said awe that's a cute lamb for the little baby when are you DUE???? My ex lost it started crying spurted out how her live was crap because all her friends suck and ran out of the store.....
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My sister has slim legs and hips and carries all her weight on her abdomen. She has lovely skin and when she was 55 a co-worker asked her if she was pregnant. My sister didn't know how to feel. Should she feel bad because of the way the comment reflected on her weight, or complimented because the person obviously thought she was much younger than she was?
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh my, that is the worst! I guess at least it has lit your fire?! Still, I'd be hurt for sure!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You get hugs. You should never ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you *KNOW* she is, and even then , it's usually not a good idea.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    My coworker did that once (while she was in uniform). She will never do that again, unless she sees a baby coming out. Someone asked me once. I said no, my shirt is puffy. (It wasn't all shirt, but I know how you feel).
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hey, if they want to talk about your reproductive state, describe your last period--in great detail--then see who's uncomfortable.
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was once asked by a man with a larger beer belly than my flabby belly (which seriously wasn't all that big...), if I was pregnant.
    I just shook my head and said, "Uh no but thanks for asking!" and walked away.
    People are seriously so insensitive.

In this case you should have said "No, are YOU?"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As Dave Barry (allegedly) said: "You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment."

This x1000
  • dcummings80
    Options
    Thanks everybody...I love all the stories! :laugh:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. I'm sorry. Not sure why anyone feels that it's okay to ask if they aren't 100% sure that you are.. and by 100% sure I mean they see the baby crowning.

My mom passed away about 6 weeks ago, we are at the funeral doing the receiving line. It's my dad, then my sister, then me. One lady stopped to talk with my sister and said.. "Oh, I didn't know you were pregnant again" and my sister had to respond... "Ummm, no I'm not". So not only are we mourning the loss of our mom, someone implies my sister looks pregnant. I almost bit my tongue off trying to keep from saying something I would regret to this lady.
    This happened to me at my grandfather's funeral.
    It was tough, only because of the circumstances.
    The person who said it is, I think, rather cavalier about her comments sometimes.
    So I considered the source, but...
    Usually when I get this comment (yes, I said "when!" lol) it actually does not bother me.
    I think preggies are beautiful, and I am a woman, so.....who cares?
    I think it's lovely to look like a woman, pregnant or not:)
  • jovigirl26
    Options
    Men should never ever ever ever ask if a woman is pregnant. Thats rude, we are taught these things when we are young. I'm so sorry that happened to you. It happened to me once years ago. I was on prednizone and it makes you gain weight in your belly and face and I was asked I was pregant..I responed NO. I'M JUST FAT. it was a young lady who said it to me. I was so disgusted. So i've been there.
    Hopefully he wont come near you again... I think you scared him. hahahaha.... good for you.
  • LuridDreamer
    LuridDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This will occasionally happen to me on the bus. If I wear a shirt/dress with an empire waist, I'd say about 30% of the time when I first get on the bus, I will be offered priority seating. Usually by an old man hobbling on a cane trying to be gentlemanly, which I think is just sweet, though occasionally I'll get the same reaction from women. They'll get up if the bus is full, offer up their seat and say "You must be exhausted being on your feet all day while you have a bun in the oven!" To which I reply "the only bun in my oven is the one I got from Subway at lunch, and trust me, it won't be in the oven for long."
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    How about a little old lady pinning golden booties on you to celebrate the new life you are brewing - when you're not pregnant. Awkward!!
  • dcummings80
    Options
    I should mention too, the guy who made the comment is a jerk who tries to flirt with my daily, so it made it that much easier to snap at him when he looked me up and down and so eloquently stated "You pregnant?" Grrrrrr
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I was once asked by a man with a larger beer belly than my flabby belly (which seriously wasn't all that big...), if I was pregnant.
    I just shook my head and said, "Uh no but thanks for asking!" and walked away.
    People are seriously so insensitive.

A guy I know who has a big gut said to me... look at that chick. She's so fat if I didn't know better I would think she was pregnant. I turned to him with a dirty look and said...When was the last time you looked at yourself in the mirror? When are your twins due? We were friends so he took it well and that was the last time I ever heard him say something rude about another person and their weight or body shape.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    LuridDreamer-where do you live? I would have killed for that response when I was pregnant. Around here no one gives up a seat unless it's at gun point. I can't tell you how uncomfortable I was stand up on on 30 minute bus ride at 7 months pregnant. Thank goodness it wasn't longer!

But I hate it when people ask. Even when I WAS pregnant I didn't appreciate it, though it was rare. At least most folks who know me know better than to ask stupid questions. Strangers rarely talk to me, thank goodness. One of my former friends use to get this question a lot, though, due to the way she carries her weight. It totally sucks.