MFP, TDEE, Fitbit and sedentary lifestyle...

Options
I have a theory on why my weight loss is always in ounces rather than pounds.

MFP has my TDEE at around 1750 cals, which is the number my Fitbit works with and synchs to. I know that the MFP definition of sedentary includes being sat in an office etc. but I don't think it really caters for those of us who are less mobile.
I have rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, fibromyalgia and ME amongst other auto immune problems. I walk with two sticks and get tired easily. Despite this I work 7 days a week (voluntarily) running a busy charity that my husband and I set up a few years ago, but don't actually 'move' an awful lot, and can't yet do any exercise.

On an average day I wake up, have breakfast, drive to the charity I run, sit at my desk with short breaks to grab a drink/food, then drive home, eat and go back to bed by around 10pm and watch tv until i fall asleep. On days like these, by the time I get to bed and lie down my Fitbit shows I have used approximately 1400 cals, and would guess lying down and breathing isn't going to use up 350 cals before sleep. My Fitbit logs between 200 and 2500 steps per day depending what kind of day it is, which shows how immobile i can really be!

I conclude that I don't think I exert more than 1500 cals on an average day; 1300 cals on a stuck in bed day and 1800 cals on decent days. If this is how it has been for some time, it explains why I have previously gained weight when I don't really eat that much in terms of calorie intake. Some days I struggle to reach 1200 as I don't get hungry, others are easier but I find I'm eating late to squeeze the calories in...

Thoughts?

Replies

• DawnMcUK
    Options
    Bump
  • DawnMcUK
    Options
    Bump again...can anybody help clarify this issue?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That sounds possible to me. The calories you are allotted are just an estimate. What you actually need can be vastly different.

MFP sets my daily calories at 1690 (to maintain my current weight of 137), but I regularly eat anywhere from 2200-2400... even on days I don't exercise. I haven't had any problem maintaining my goal weight for the past 7 months.

I use a BodyMedia Fit, and it also shows a much higher number than MFP's estimate.

So, in short, yes... MFP could be wrong! There are just too many things that its estimate doesn't 'know' about you.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I would use the fitbit data as your guide. If your fitbit profile is set up correctly then it will give you a better idea of how much you burn vs the MFP guestimation.

If your daily activity is fairly consistent from week to week you can use your weekly fitbit report to wee what your daily average burn tends to be. Go back and look at it for the last few weeks and see what it has been running and set that as your TDEE. Then take you cut from there. If you are in the overweight range then a 20% cut should work, if you are only 10lb from goal the a 5-10% cut from TDEE would be better so you do not get a rebound once it is time for maintenance.

I have a fitbit too and on a veg day I can be in the under 500 step range as well! I tend to slide my calorie target based on what I burn if I'm doing a major couch patrol.