Water...how much is too much?

Options
Is it possible to drink too much water in the run of a day?

Could it cause light headedness and maybe headaches?

Replies

• tinnytibbs
    Options
    Is it possible to drink too much water in the run of a day?

Could it cause light headedness and maybe headaches?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Technically water poisoning is possible, but extremely rare.
    see this article

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyponatremia/DS00974

it's called hyponatremia. You'd have to drink quite a lot over a relatively short
    period to have it happen to a normal, healthy person.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes you can ! but i wouldnt worry about it,

its called water intoxication or poisoning. in short its when you drink too much, too fast without urinating. its quite extreme and rare.

Your kidney's should be able to filter about 15 liters of water a day ... that is quite a bit
    so go on and drink !!! (water that is :wink: )

may
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    I remember when I was a little girl I use to like to drink a whole bunch of water in a short period of time because it made my stomach real big and stick out. I would then show my stomach to my friends and then go to the bathroom. It would go down big time. I am sure that was real unhealthy. Hmm maybe that is why my stomach is so big now. lol Maybe I stretched it out.
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    maybe your having sugar withdrawels , hence the light headed and weird feelings?

water intoxication is rare i hear.

feel better!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I drink too much water (more than 10 or 12 glasses) in one day, I get lightheaded and also have extreme stomach cramps. I think everyone is different.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I dont think so but a drastic drop in calories can. Are you sure youre eating enough?
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When doing WW once upon a time, we were told that we could drink 1/2 our body weight in ounces to see some significant weight loss. At the time I weighed 280, i was horrified at the thought of drinking 140 ounces...but being up for the challenge, I tried it.
    For the first couple of weeks, I lost big time and it was working!!
    Then of course I got tired of 'going' so much and stopped.

When you think about that theory, it makes sense- something that is going to nourish someone who weighs 120 lbs is certainly not going to do it for someone much larger- so the "64 ounce" rule cannot be a one size fits all- at least in my opinion..

I'm not a doctor, just been dieting for the last 80 years or something like that. :laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: