Meeting MFP friends in person?!?!

2»

Replies

• ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    I've met some of my best friends online, it's lots of fun! As others have said, meet in a public place, preferably in a group. Not all online friendships translate very well in real life, but most of them have in my experiences :)
  • I live in Michigan. I think it would be so great to have someone that is just as motivated and committed as me to workout with so if there is any women out there from the Southeast MI area that are interested in something like this let me know! Thanks! :)
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    When I first signed up to another *cough*spark*cough* fitness website I found a girl who lived in my area that wanted to be walking buddies so we met at a park with a nice walking track that was halfway between our houses... the walks went well the first couple of times but then she started latching on to me (friend-wise) like a bad one night stand that won't leave your house in the AM. All I wanted was to meet at the park and walk... not play Oprah while she talked my ear off in the parking lot afterward and suggested going to get sugary frozen lemonades/ice cream. After 1 trip to Walmart together where she inexplicably didn't have enough money for the very item she went there to purchase I called it quits and swore off online fitness buddies. Maybe that's unfair to the normal people out there but I just don't need the headache of weeding out the crazies from the potential exercise partners.
    Yikes! But to be fair, that person could have just as easily been a neighbor you met while walking the dog. The "online" part seems to scare people more than it should. Any time you introduce someone new into your social life, you risk getting a weirdo no matter where you find that person. My wife and I meet people while walking in our neighborhood all the time. Some are really nice and have turned into dear friends while others seemed wonderful at first but ended up being major flakes.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    I've met 4 people so far, and so open to meet more! I'm also in MI!!! I sent you a friend request :)
  • missymoga
    missymoga Posts: 217 Member
    I would love to meet up with people. I am in MI as well!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    I've made 2 new friends so far and hope to meet more like minded people that are encouraging and living active & healthy lifestyles. I really hope to learn how to cook healthier for myself too, so I'm hoping I can trade some cooking lessons for wine =)

I'm in the Houston Texas area, add me (please use a note) if you are interested in making new workout buddies/friends/etc.
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    You are hilarious!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    I have met someone yes, we went to lunch. I ate like a cow....never would have known we met on MFP the way I was eating lol :)

The first friend I met up with, we had mexican food, drinks, then went for desert, lol! I was sort of hoping for healthy encouragement since my diet is my weak point, as I LOVE to workout. The second person, we had pizza & wine! On the up side, at least we all 3 were burning it off the next day!
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    I met up with one person and few times, i lived to tell the tale lol..

Just meet up in a public place to start with cause there are some serious weirdos out there! :D
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Yes I have and Were Really Good friends now :-)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I have met 2 people on MFP and a couple other people from a online crochet group I used to belong too. I have always met up in public places and havent had any problems so far. I live in sacramento ca and would love to meet up to walk together or ride bikes,etc
  • I am real life friends with two girls on my list. and I would love to meet more!!! :D add me lets chat. MY CLEMENS MICHIGAN
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I would like to but haven't so far. I'm in Townsville, Australia if anyone is interested in the odd walk up the hill etc..
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    heres one idea...meeting at an OA meeting? (or WW)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    I've met 7 MFPeeps in person.

in fact...When I met one of them, I had no idea how important he would be in my life. Every day I thank God that we happened upon each other, thanks to this site
  • yes! we met in one of those boards you post on for the state you live in, and discovered that we live only about 20 minutes apart, so we decided to meet up in one of the local parks for a walk, and now she is one of my best friends! <3
  • I honestly dont see why not, I mean sure there are some crazies out there but usually they are pretty obvious to point out. I personally would meet up with somebody but only after socializing with messages or skype etc. Something to break the ice and to see if they are who they really say they are. Once you've put enough time in building trust i wouldnt see why not lol.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    I know that I'd certainly love to meet some of my MFP friends - if they were closer, I'd be on it like Wallace and Gromit.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    I know that I'd certainly love to meet some of my MFP friends - if they were closer, I'd be on it like Wallace and Gromit.

You never know your luck, two hours tops from me to you :laugh: