Recomposition question: How to rid belly fat?

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    With maybe the exception of your belly area, maybe some of the fat you see on your face, legs, etc. is just loose skin?
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ...So are you suggesting my goal should be to muscle build despite that not being the look I'm going after for with my body?

Basically, I think he is, and I agree. Not to sound sarcastic, but you don't trip over a barbell and magically gain 30 lbs of muscle. :laugh: It takes time and dedication to build muscle - it happens even slower than losing fat and requires a lot more effort and attention to proper nutrition.

Take some time lifting and put a bit of muscle on... you can stop and maintain your current body composition whenever you've reached a place where you're happy. You don't have to continue gaining until you reach grotesque proportions. As you mentioned, body recomposition is where you are currently headed. 142 lbs with 128 lbs of lean mass is going to look a lot smaller, tighter, and better than 142 with only 114 lbs of lean mass. You don't get that "bulky" look unless you've been lifting progressively heavy weights for years, and eating a diet which supports muscle growth.

You can also lift in ways which increases your strength and muscle tone without increasing your size much, if at all. Strength training is generally slightly different than hypertrophy (muscle mass) training.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

. It may (it likely will) require multiple cycles of bulking followed by cutting.

to lose belly fat? maybe I missed too many posts on this one but why would anyone need multiple cycles of bulking and cutting?

not giving you any crap, I know you shoot strait but I dont get this one
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

6) Saturated Fats (butter, mayo, dairy);
    7) Sodas, Diet Soads, Fruit Juices.
    All of these cause you to store excess fat usually around the mid-section.

There is plenty of information indicating that Saturated fats aren't this demon that need to be avoided and that your diet should include "x" amount of them.

Diet soda's... really? Aside from the sodium what is in a diet soda that causes you to store fat in your mid-section? Please don't post any articles on how artificial sweeteners confuse your brain into storing or not burning fat, read them, and can find equally as many that refute those articles. LOL.

It's interesting to me that you are up to date with your research on saturated fats (yes they are healthy when from healthy sources) but then blow it with promoting diet sodas (which don't really have that much sodium imo). Nutritional research is always problematic due to the difficulty of isolating factors. Whether diet sodas are fattening or if other obesogens compound their effect, I don't know, but just look around at all the obese people consuming them; I'm thinking diet sodas aren't helping reduce the obesity epidemic one bit, and according to information that I have found, are likely stimulating appetite and contributing to the development of serious diseases in some people. There is plenty of research (amazing, considering how underfunded research that goes against corporate interests is!) that challenges their acceptance by the FDA as GRAS. If it's not food, I don't eat it.

With the amount of crap that we breathe in the air alone the last thing I'm concerned about is a little aspartme. I've lost 30lbs and I drink plenty of diet soda. Reducing obesity regarding diet soda. No, because how often do you see people order a couple Whoppers or take 9-inches of pizza and drink it with a diet soda. Of course you're not going to lose weight that way, diet soda or not. A healthy person, eating an appropriate calorie deficit and getting adequate exercise will lose weight if they consume some diet soda; it's not going to roadblock anything. The research that is interesting is how it seems to affect one's ability to manage sweet cravings but again that's self-control and not the sweetener causing you to gain weight. Now if you want to worry about the concern of aspartme and cancer or other diseases or whatever else then that's a valid concern but like I said above, there's are toxins in all foods, even organic gets processed, the air we breathe, water we drink, that it doesn't matter; there is always some chemical around us reducing our quality of life to some degree.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce...unless you get a tummy tuck or lipo.

Sorry!
    Here's a winner. OP If you're not going to tone up the muscles under the fat, it's not going to go anywhere. Surgery might be your option.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think he lost a lot of lean mass by losing weight without exercise. My husband is 5'8" and 152lbs, and he has visible abs. I think at this point, you need to strength train to recomposite your body.

But is your husband medium to large frame? That could be the difference. I have a very feminine style and small to medium body frame. I fit my wife's clothes for godsake LOL! The only thing that has ever been built on my body was my thighs. So what I'm getting at is I've never had muscle tone and my biceps have only ever been as big as my fist when I flex. I agree I should recomposition, which is why I'm asking about fat loss. But you can't lose fat AND build muscle at the same time. Losing requires a calorie deficit, and gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus. So are you suggesting my goal should be to muscle build despite that not being the look I'm going after for with my body? (Not to mention would be a look my body has never produced even in football tech)

I don't know what is considered small or medium or large frame, in term of male. He will not fit in my clothes because I am 5'3" and 108lbs, so if your wife is my size, then yes my husband is bigger than you. But if your avatar is you, then I don't think my husband is of a larger frame than you. Yes, you can't gain muscle easily and without a calorie surplus. The thing is that you need to preserve what lean mass (not just muscle, it includes your bones and skins) you have and/or decrease the amount you are losing, so you are losing more fat than muscle. I am not suggesting anything for your goal. Your goal is yours. I am merely just explaining why you might still have a belly when your weight is low-ish.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    With maybe the exception of your belly area, maybe some of the fat you see on your face, legs, etc. is just loose skin?

Possible. I did lose it pretty fast. I lost all my weight since April this year. When I pinch it, it doesn't hurt unless I squeeze really hard. It just jiggles around when I jog in place and it's pretty disturbing to watch. It's only an inch that jiggles, but it still creeps me out.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would love to help, but the OP called my MFP bestie a C U Next Tuesday, rendering me incapable of providing assistance.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're eating at too much of a deficit and your body might be "holding onto" that fat. There's an earlier post that suggested eating at TDEE. I'd tend to agree with that as well as increase your protein consumption to about .75-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so in your case about 105-ish to 142 grams of protein a day. I do tend to agree with another female post, personal preference perhaps, but a 5'8" male at 142??? Really... I'm a 5'6.5" female and weigh 137... Just seems unhealthy... IMPO
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're doing it - 73 lbs lost.

Now, I haven't been consistent, so I'm not sure if it works, but I've read up on things that are specifically supposed to help with belly fat, and one of them is safflower oil, which can be taken in pill form - usually called Conjugated Linoleic Acid. There are other things that are supposed to help with belly fat - such as an apple a day (for real), a cup of yogurt a day, 25 - 35 grams of fiber a day. There were a few others but I can't remember what they were. Dr Oz talks about some of these things.

Good luck!
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What does that mean? Bump?
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    BUMP...BUMP...AND BUMP AGAIN :smooched:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + time + patience is all that is needed.

I'm not sure why this thread continued after this answer. It's all right there. This ain't magic or rocket science. Listen to the man that said this.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    squat.
  • chavaaguirre
    chavaaguirre Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + time + patience is all that is needed.

AMEN BRO!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    quickest way to recomp..

1. track calories and macros
    2. lift heavy weights
    3. do anaerobic cardio such as sprints, hills, sleds, circut training.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    squat.
    yea and this too^^
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    2. lift heavy weights
    3. do anaerobic cardio such as sprints, hills, sleds, circut training.

Like all your points. But how would you program both, for someone who's not 21?
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump