first race! how far to run?

Options
I want to run my first race this year- it's a Turkey Trot! There's a 5k and a 5 mile race, and I'm not sure which to run. I usually run a 5k in my normal run, but I want to challenge myself. I'm just not sure if my first race is a good time to do that. Thoughts?

Replies

• girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go for the 5 mile if you want to challenge yourself. Remember, it's most likely a run for fun(draiser) not a race. You are competing against yourself pretty much. If you've already been training for a 5k, what's another 10-15 minutes? Also, increase your miles gradually. That is, don't decide to up your run today by another 2 miles. Maybe go in 1/2 mile increments. Listen to your body.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Run the 5k as a race (not a run) if you want to challenge yourself. :smile:

Just playing off the post before mine a bit. Though honestly, running a 5k hard will probably be more of a challenge than just normal pace running a 5 miler. There is a reason a lot of veteran runners hate to race 5ks. They are hard to do well and they hurt. Much gratification on the mental and physical challenge scale.

Either way you'll have a good time. At some point you may find a distance that suits you and want to try and get better at it. Often in newer runners forums there seems to be an attitude that you have to go farther and farther in race distances - while ignoring the challenge of racing a known distance better. Either is fine - it's the runners choice.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If it's your very first race, honestly I'd just pick one and aim to have fun. It will automatically be a personal best!
    Then next time you have a time to beat.
    Though honestly, running a 5k hard will probably be more of a challenge than just normal pace running a 5 miler.
    Too true. I am WAAAAAY more freaked out about my upcoming 5K that I'm planning to go all-out for than the 50K I did last spring at a "for fun" pace. And my training was very similar for the two.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Do the 5 miles! Good luck!