Where do you measure for waist?

Options
So as the title states where do you measure your waist when putting in measurements? Is it where your belly button is? Or a little further down?

Replies

• dragonladywendy
    Options
    It may be different for others, but to make sure I am consistent, I always measure around where my belly button is. :happy:
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Me too...around the belly button :D
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My trainer takes at the belly button and an inch below,

Me - I just go round the belly button :0)

Edit: spelling
  • RellaBelle
    RellaBelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It may be different for others, but to make sure I am consistent, I always measure around where my belly button is. :happy:

Ditto. My spot to measure is right above my belly button.. I have a gut and right above my bb is where it pokes out the most so I stick to that spot for consistency
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Wherever you take it, make sure you're consistent and take it in the same place every time.
  • Ellie3990
    Ellie3990 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Smallest part of your middle bit. Bellow your chest and above your belly button usually. Or thats where I measure. Not sure if its different for different country guidelines but I'm in the UK.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I believe that the natural waist is taken by first bending to the side and measuring (standing upright) at where the crease appeared. An inch or so below the belly button is considered the 'drop waist.' Most clothing sizes would use the natural.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You should find the top of the hip bone and the bottom of your ribs and take it in the middle of these points.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    it's actually higher .. just above the belly button but below the rib cage:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-get-your-body-measurements.html

If you had an hour glass figure .. it's where you at the smallest or where the hour glass comes together in the center .. I know .. I don't have the hour glass shape either! LOL
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight and then l lean to one side like you're going to pick up something off the ground. Where your body naturally creases is where your natural waist is. Same thing on the other side and make sure the tape goes straight around those two points. Leastwise, that's what I read when I was measuring for MyShape a bazillion years ago.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    it's 2 inches above the belly button
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I measure at two spots. around my belly button and about two inches down
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I measure both my true waist (smallest point) and across my belly button which I log as abdomen. I am looking for reductions in both as I lose weight. I find for clothing I need to consider my abdomen right now as its still quite large and going by my waist size means pants will likely be too tight.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I measure at my belly button and my natural waist, which I've decided is right at my lowest rib. :smile: But like everyone says pick a spot, (or spots if you go with two) and be consistent.
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Dr.oz says at your belly button
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a hilly belly, a bump below and bump above belly button and a dent around my belly button even when I stand up and I wasn't sure where to measure, either. I decided to measure at the smallest point, which is just above the upper fat roll. Not quite at my natural waist when I was without fat rolls, but it's the smallest point now. I also measure my belly button just to see the difference.