coffee creamer?

Options
I LOVE COFFEE!! However, I use 2-3 TBSP of creamer in each cup (large cups = not those dinky 8oz ones) - I use up way too many calories drinking my coffee each morning - I use a french vanilla fat free creamer - but it is still approx 30 calories per TBSP - that is like 90-100 calories per cup!!!! I need the flavor as I just cannot drink black coffee. I don't use sugar as the flavoring is usually enough. I am thinking that if I went to a flavored coffee bean I might save the calories - but then I think I will still need to add milk and sugar to it!! How do I win? I have been trying to only drink 1-2 cups per day - but it is sooo hard as it is so cold where we live and it is so nice to have something warm to drink!

Any suggestions on how others are dealing with having to give up something? or how to change over to a lower calorie way of drinking coffee??

I have been trying so hard to stick with my 1200 calories but find that it is the coffee that is putting me over! I will never lose weight this way!!! PLEASE HELP!!:drinker:

Replies

• wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I LOVE COFFEE!! However, I use 2-3 TBSP of creamer in each cup (large cups = not those dinky 8oz ones) - I use up way too many calories drinking my coffee each morning - I use a french vanilla fat free creamer - but it is still approx 30 calories per TBSP - that is like 90-100 calories per cup!!!! I need the flavor as I just cannot drink black coffee. I don't use sugar as the flavoring is usually enough. I am thinking that if I went to a flavored coffee bean I might save the calories - but then I think I will still need to add milk and sugar to it!! How do I win? I have been trying to only drink 1-2 cups per day - but it is sooo hard as it is so cold where we live and it is so nice to have something warm to drink!

Any suggestions on how others are dealing with having to give up something? or how to change over to a lower calorie way of drinking coffee??

I have been trying so hard to stick with my 1200 calories but find that it is the coffee that is putting me over! I will never lose weight this way!!! PLEASE HELP!!:drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, you could go the milk route. Skim or 1% milk would drastically reduce your calories. Or use powdered creamer, usually there is a Lite version that has few (if any) calories.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am not a coffee drinker, but i recently heard of a guy who puts honey in his coffee.
  • sanderson1
    Options
    i just recently started drinking green tea......it has taken some getting used to but i'm starting to enjoy it.....at least it is warm & totally good for you......i add about a teaspoon of sugar........liptons green tea w/ lemon & honey is my fav. so far....hope this helps....
  • dfra789
    dfra789 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use CoffeeMate powder creamer with 10 caleries per tsp, zero sugar and only .5 g of saturated fat, no trans fat and not poly or monosatured fat, no sodium, 1 g of carb. I know they have this product in other flavors if you like your coffee flavored.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee fiend, and I love those creamers as well. But, it was one of things that I decided to wean myself off of. It has actually been the hardest thing so far (except for cool whip -- did I mention my cool whip addiction?).

But you know, they are just not worth it! I'd so much rather have a cookie once in a while, or something I can chew, instead of creamer every day.

Anyway, I enjoy tea but it just doesn't cut it in the morning. I need my coffee. So right now I'm limiting myself to one cup of excellent coffee. I go for expensive, flavored, and ground to order. Then I add about a tablespoon of 2% milk and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon. The cinnamon supposedly makes you feel full, and weirdly enough, it sort of works. I sprinkle it on my yogurt, cottage cheese, baked apples, etc.

So far it's been working. After a few days I really started to enjoy the actual flavor of the coffee itself, and I think the creamer would now taste strange if I tried it.

My other secret warm drink is called "Foam Foam on the Range" and I make it for me and my 3yo nephew! He loooves it. Basically I heat up some skim milk in the microwave, add a splash of sugarfree flavoring (you can buy it at Cost Plus), then froth it up with a hand steamer. It gets nice and foamy and with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top it's the perfect winter treat!

http://www.amazon.com/Torani-Sugar-Vanilla-Syrup-750mL/dp/B000AXQI3U
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I love those flavored creamers as well (International Delight Fat Free French Vanilla is my choice). I drink out of a 16 oz. insulated mug, so I add 1 tbsp. and no sugar...it's my morning treat:happy:
  • twingle08
    twingle08 Posts: 40
    Options
    I switched to decaf coffee which significantly decreased my coffee consumption...it sure doesn't taste the same! That instantly knocked me down in the cream calories as I was having probably 6 tbsps of cream a day in my coffee - yikes!

Now what I do is put some 1% milk in a container, shake it up really well and then put it in the microwave for 50-55sec (watch it cause it will bubble over!) Pour the coffee while the milk settles and then pour it in! It is foamy and for some reason tastes way better than when I just put 1% milk into my coffee!
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I would drink 3 cups of coffee with 1-2 tbs of creamer in each. I have since realized that its just not worth it. I decided to buy gourmet coffee and add just a splash of milk simply to cool it down. Gourmet coffee makes Folgers taste like dirt. And now I think that all that cream just masks the full flavor of good coffee. Its definetly something to get used to. But now I love the flavor without the extra 300 calories!!:happy: