How do I run in the cold without getting sick.

Options
It's starting to get really cold in my region. I run outside in the early mornings, so it's not uncommon to have temperatures of only 15 to 20 degrees at that time. Last winter/early spring I suffered some major upper respiratory illnesses. I'm realizing it was probably due to breathing in too much cold air almost every single morning. What can I do to protect my lungs while I run in the cold winter air? I don't have a treadmill, and probably wont get one. I really prefer to run outside.

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into running, and mostly, I've stuck to my treadmill. I do enjoy running outside, though, so I am looking forward to the advice as well!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's starting to get really cold in my region. I run outside in the early mornings, so it's not uncommon to have temperatures of only 15 to 20 degrees at that time. Last winter/early spring I suffered some major upper respiratory illnesses. I'm realizing it was probably due to breathing in too much cold air almost every single morning. What can I do to protect my lungs while I run in the cold winter air? I don't have a treadmill, and probably wont get one. I really prefer to run outside.
    Unless you have asthma, I don't think you can got sick from running in the cold. Illness is caused by viruses or bacteria, not temperature, though exposure to cold can trigger asthma attacks.
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think there is really no way. When it is that cold, theres not much you can do for your lungs. A lot of my friends also hate treadmills (I hate running in general :p), and I know they prefer to go to their local YMCA or university gym and run the indoor tracks. Many of these have windows to look outside at least, or a view of activities going on inside to give you some sort of entertainment.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    wear a scarf? like a light weight snood... not sure how it would work out really... just an idea *shrugs*
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    While being stationed in AK we wore baliclava's (ski masks)while running in the cold. they will ice up a bit and let your face thaw before removing or you may be sans eyelashes
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You generally get sick from bacteria and viruses, not the weather. Although cold weather can make you feel yucky and make your nose run, it isn't what makes you sick.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    You can't get sick from breathing cold air. :smile:
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Unless you have asthma, I don't think you can got sick from running in the cold. Illness is caused by viruses or bacteria, not temperature, though exposure to cold can trigger asthma attacks.

^^This!

Wrap a scarf around your face.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    temperature doesnt make you sick...germs do.

so don't touch members of the opposite sex...they has cooties. ew.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Actually most doctors now believe the spread of illness during the winter comes from the fact that you're generally inside with people more, therefore in closer confines to be exposed to more germs.

Just bundle up and enjoy your runs. Take a multi, eat well, and wash your hands after you sneeze.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My lungs (and ears) kill when it's cold outside.... viruses or no viruses!

I also HATE treadmills....

Try an indoor track.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm going to read between the lines with this. You're concerned about regulating your body temperature in the cold. My suggestion would be leggings, and light layers where you can trap pockets of warm air close to your body that won't weigh you down. In terms of health, if you're sick or feeling like your getting sick, don't run. If you feel sickly or want to take something to boost your immune system, I would suggest zinc, vitamin c and b vitamins.

Or just run indoors, on a treadmill, in a hermetically sealed clean room.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the weather will not make you sick, unless you are really old or really sickly. colds are caused by one being exposed to the virus and your body will never catch the same cold twice.

i
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "Exposure" Taken from Wikipedia

A condition of very poor health or death resulting from lack of protection over prolonged periods under weather, extreme temperatures or dangerous substances.

I cycle my breathing between nose and mouth. In my nose, out my mouth. 2 cycles, then 1 cycle in and out my mouth. Stops my nose from freezing.

Also, this is pretty much bro science.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I get sick when I pick up my harder winter workouts -period.. I think it is just due to the fact when you work harder- such as in colder weather, your immune system is focused on repairing your muscle tissue, the added germ factor, and less natural sunlight compound the complications of fighting off outside sickies... I am DREADING the seasonal workout amp up for this reason. I do NOT believe in the flu shot. . But I have had fairly good luck adding additional vitamin C and zinc. Both really inexpensive supplements. I also try to remember to get more dark greens, lots of aromatics (onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon) and local honey in my food rotation.. You cannot beat natures medicine. And every time you pass a sink, when not at home... wash your hands. Seriously.
    Good luck to you dear! I am jealous you can run in cold weather! Thanks to me being an idiot ex smoker.. I struggle under 40 degrees.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Also, this is pretty much bro science.

This makes me happy. I like bro science!! :laugh:
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I live in Ottawa, Canada and I see people running everyday, even in the winter, at -40 outside! Just get the right gear. You can do it!
  • C4r4W4de
    C4r4W4de Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well I ran all year last year in the bitter cold and always dressed appropriately. I never felt unprotected clothing wise. But, the cold air really hurts my lungs and my doctor told me breathing in frigid air is really bad for your lungs. Especially when your oxygen intake is increased during physical exercise. We were created to breath through our noses which warms the air before entering into our lungs. Running causes most people to breath through their mouths and allows cold air into the lungs. I've tried breathing more through my nose, but never felt I was getting adequate oxygen intake. I might try a ski mask or scarf over my mouth. Maybe this will help get warm air into my lungs. Otherwise . . . I may be investing in the dreaded treadmill.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My lungs (and ears) kill when it's cold outside.... viruses or no viruses!

I also HATE treadmills....

Try an indoor track.
    this! i wish my gym had an indoor track. i just got back from a trail run and it's not even cold yet, it's maybe 55* F. but it killed my lungs, they were burning so badly. i only lasted 1.5 miles because it was so painful. i wonder if it gets better with frequently running in the cold?
  • s_tare
    s_tare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running in Aug. and have been running outside. I figured that I would be fine to run outside in winter since it doesnt get VERY cold where I am - sometimes low 20s, but mostly lows are around 30s. However, everytime that I have run outside - even in the mid-50s, I have ended up with a sinus infection. I am quite prone to getting them, and I think that combined with breathing hard in the cold has led to me falling sick when I run outside in winter. I have had to accept that I just need to run inside during the cold months. I havent run on a treadmill in a long time, and I am really dreading it. Does anyone have any tips for making any adjustments to attire while running outside in the cold, which might reduce my chances of falling sick - again? Currently I will wear shorts and a shirt, which does make me feel a little cold when I first start, but not once I am running!

Or else, any tips for not hating running on the treadmill?

I am also concerned that come spring I will have lost the knack for running outside!! :sad: