Varied Calorie Burn for same workouts

I use a Polar Heart Monitor with my plyometric and cardio workouts. I've been tracking my calorie burn for each workout I do (they are always the same b/c I use Dvd's) and I notice that my calorie burn and heart rate (obviously) varies alot among identical workouts. Is this normal? I'm thinking I put in different effort each time and that's one possible variable? Thoughts? :huh:

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Totally normal. Some days you feel better and just exert yourself more. Other days, maybe your heart just felt better/stronger. Same workout that burned 780 a couple days ago just clocked in at 736 this morning.

How big of a swing are you talking about?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    I use a Polar Heart Monitor with my plyometric and cardio workouts. I've been tracking my calorie burn for each workout I do (they are always the same b/c I use Dvd's) and I notice that my calorie burn and heart rate (obviously) varies alot among identical workouts. Is this normal? I'm thinking I put in different effort each time and that's one possible variable? Thoughts? :huh:
    I would say it's absolutely normal. You can't really duplicate a workout exactly day to day because there's no guarantee that you're putting forth the exact same amount of effort from one day to the next. Some days you'll be low energy, or not feeling 100% and take it easier on yourself, maybe without realizing it. Other days you'll be getting fitter and stronger and have more effort and energy to give.
  • Totally normal. Some days you feel better and just exert yourself more. Other days, maybe your heart just felt better/stronger. Same workout that burned 780 a couple days ago just clocked in at 736 this morning.

How big of a swing are you talking about?

The swing is about 50-75 calories...Not huge at all. I just have a history of arithmea in my familiy and I panicked that might have something to do with it! Just being neurotic again! Suprise Suprise!! :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    If you are doing a DVD workout, then it is possible that differences in heart rate are related to different levels of effort--there is more day-to-day variety in the movements. However, it is just as likely that your actual calorie burn is not changing much at all, and you are just seeing normal variations in HR response.