exercising with GERD :'( what to do...

Options
I suffer from GERD very badly.. It has been with me for many years. I take a PPI every morning for treatment, but it just brings the burning in my throat from revving at a 10, down to a 7.

No matter how much time I wait in between exercising and meals(yesterday I waited 5 hours and was STILL sick).. I always find myself sick to my stomach and sometimes on the verge of vomiting, and burping during and after my work outs. I don't know what to do about this!! Anyone else with gerd have any advice?

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and eat lower sodium & fat ratio foods
  • notabrat1
    notabrat1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You should call your GI Dr and tell them about it. You may need proton pump inhibitors more than once a day or to be on a different med. The Dr should be able to come up with a workable solution for you...hope you get some relief. Gerd really sucks when you're doing crunches or any exercises on the floor or that require bending. Best of luck to you :)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    yes its reallly awful! Ive already tried lots of meds and different combinations.. what I am on now is working the best..
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I can't take PPIs, so I take Zantac. My rx is for 300 mg twice a day. I make sure I take one about an hour to an hour and a half before I run. If I miss it, I get a good dose of fire throat to remind me while I"m running.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr if the drug you're on can be taken twice a day. I take double the Average dose, AND I take that twice daily. So i am taking 4 times what most people are prescribed. It works for me as long as I don't screw up and eat certain foods. Yes, even with all the PPI's I still have trigger foods and breakthrough. Rest is important, as is taking your meds, Cutting out as much grease or fried stuff as possible. And not eating 2-3 hrs before bedtime. As far as exercise I stay off the floor, There are ab exercises you can do w/out doing sit ups or crunches. Once your Gerd is stabilized, maybe then you can do more floor stuff. It is very important that you get that under control. You can develop Barrot's esophagus otherwise. That is like one step down from Cancer. Please ask your Dr. and take care.