What am I doing wrong

I have lost 40lbs on my own but now my weight keeps going up and down. I work out 5 days a week 3 days strength training with 30 minutes of cardio and 2 days of cardio for over 60 minutes. I'm keeping track of my calorie intake and drinking only water. What am I doing that is stopping the weight from changing?

Replies

• needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    I'm right there with you. I'm up 5lbs in the last week and a half. This corresponds with bumping up my exercise. I've read enough of these posts to kind of get the idea that once exercise increases sometimes weight loss slows down for a while. I'm not sure that I believe that I've created 5lbs of muscle though. I've also read that muscles may hold onto more fluid as they repair themselves. Whatever it is just focus on the long term. There will be fluctuations but just keep at it. Log everything, drink lots of water, watch your sodium and don't give up! Easier said than done. I might also stop weighing myself for a few days.
  • Well you've already lost 40lbs so you've been at this a while so you probably need to up your calories. IMHO!
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    1. Try not to focus so much on what the scale says. Instead, focus on how you feel- your energy level, how your clothes fit, etc. Easier said than done I know, but sometimes the scale is not a good reflection of our progress. :-) Also keep track of the inches you are losing!

2. I agree with PP that you might not be eating enough.

Hang in there! Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    I'm right there with you. I'm up 5lbs in the last week and a half. This corresponds with bumping up my exercise. I've read enough of these posts to kind of get the idea that once exercise increases sometimes weight loss slows down for a while. I'm not sure that I believe that I've created 5lbs of muscle though. I've also read that muscles may hold onto more fluid as they repair themselves. Whatever it is just focus on the long term. There will be fluctuations but just keep at it. Log everything, drink lots of water, watch your sodium and don't give up! Easier said than done. I might also stop weighing myself for a few days.

Same thing has just happened to me. I started lifting weights for the first time last week. Tuesday and Thursday and the scale jumped 5 lbs and I was so angry monday when I weighed. I didn't go tonight because I was still angry. I have worked so hard to lose 15 and to see the scale go up was a piss off. Now I'm mad I didn't work out tonight.:mad:
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    See about a proper body fat scale or have someone check you body fat like a trainer in a local gym. Then along with the pictures I'm sure you took when you started this journey :) you have some good feed back tools instead of just weight on the scale.

This side lines many people and it causes enough frustration to possibly have them inaccurately internet the feed back on the scale prove and they self sabotage their program.

After the BF% is done , looking at results can help us determine if calories are too low/high, macro nutrients are off or a reduction of calories may need to be made.

Next step is the intensity of effort when doing cardio. Once frequency, duration and time is set up...we need to ensure that our heart rate is in the specific zone we need to burn more calories each workout otherwise we end up doing about the same thing each workout. The intensity must go up and can be tracked with a monitor. I recommend the FT 40 by Polar.

Hope that helps...now go drop some more fat :)

Emile Jarreau,aka, Mr. Fat Loss